Opinion Should a President be able to stay in office for more than 2 terms?

squeezewax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Has it always been only 2 terms in America, if not, when did it change?

When a President finishes his term can he carry on being a politician?

If he can, can he become President again?

Here in Australia the leader of the Party that wins an election then automatically becomes the Prime Minister and he/she can serve unlimited terms as the PM. Also when he/she is no longer PM they generally stays in politics.

Finally do you think 2 terms as President is too few or just the right amount? Personally i think it should be unlimited but if not i think 3 terms would be better than just the 2.

I don't agree with the limit. I say if you can keep getting voted in and the American people want you to stay, you should be able to stay. Let the people decide.

Because no matter how good you are, eventually people will get sick of seeing your face and vote someone else in.

Or you might vote someone in who is God's gift to politics, a real dynamic leader... why limit that person to 8 years? Maybe they're young and can rule for 20 years.

I say yes but only for President Trump. It's been fantastic entertainment from the ridiculously idiotic shit he says to the absolute morons that still get extremely rustled by him.

It's not always been two terms, and I believe it was changed because FDR served 4 terms as president. Although he turned out to be one of the greatest presidents our country has ever known, it was clear that allowing someone to occupy the highest office in all the land indefinitely would not be unlike having a monarch.

I think two terms is enough.

I actually don't think there's any thing in the constitution that says only two terms but there's a law on the books that it can't happen. Laws can be changed though.

It's the 22nd Amendment.

"Section 1
No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term."

Here in Australia the leader of the Party that wins an election then automatically becomes the Prime Minister and he/she can serve unlimited terms as the PM. Also when he/she is no longer PM they generally stays in politics.

Finally do you think 2 terms as President is too few or just the right amount? Personally i think it should be unlimited but if not i think 3 terms would be better than just the 2.
At first serving only two terms was a norm set by George Washington who willingly limited himself to two terms. FDR is the one who broke that norm when he won a third and fourth term which led Congress to pass the 22nd amendment that limited a person to only two terms.

I am fine with the limit but if we had to relax it I would say make the limit two consecutive terms, allowing an ex-president to run for election only after someone else has been in office. That's how it is in Brazil IIRC.
I actually don't think there's any thing in the constitution that says only two terms but there's a law on the books that it can't happen. Laws can be changed though.
Its not in the Bill of Rights but it was added as the 22nd amendment after FDR's run.
I don't agree with the limit. I say if you can keep getting voted in and the American people want you to stay, you should be able to stay. Let the people decide.

Because no matter how good you are, eventually people will get sick of seeing your face and vote someone else in.

Or you might vote someone in who is God's gift to politics, a real dynamic leader... why limit that person to 8 years? Maybe they're young and can rule for 20 years.
One reason is because an incumbent has the advantage in an election and if an incumbent is allowed to stay in office indefinitely they can potentially stack the deck in their favor even more. If I'm not mistaken that's what Chavez and Erdogan did after winning a few elections fair and square.

Trump should be President for life.
trumphugPA.jpg

But he wants nothing!

Two terms is fine, FDR notwithstanding.

No. 1951.
Yes.
No.
Finally do you think 2 terms as President is too few or just the right amount?
There is a restriction by the 22nd amendment, but I believe if the person is doing a good job and the people re-elect him/her, they should have a third term.

No
Fuck that
We broke off to not being a kingdom and people live too fucking long
Two and out
Senate should probably be fouR
House six
SCOTUS something like 20

Just no. 8 years is more than enough. If anything they need to have more term limits. No reason someone should be serving 20-30+ years in Congress. I wouldn't oppose limits for the Supreme Court either.

It's all good. After Trump finishes in January 2024, Don Jr will take over for the next 8 years. It will be like it never ended.

It changed because JFK kept winning because he had the best policies and republicans had to invent term limits to win.

No. 1951.

Yes.

No.

There is a restriction by the 22nd amendment, but I believe if the person is doing a good job and the people re-elect him/her, they should have a third term.
Oh good then 8 more years of trump

Healthier for a country if there is a two term limit, IMO.

If the Senators and Supreme Court Judges had term limits too, maybe big money wouldnt own every politi......nevermind. They'd still own them

Let's talk about 2 terms for members of Congress.

Back