Shotgun approach

Espo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What do you all think about mixing in shotgun days. Some days I may not feel particularly motivated to go through a 5 lift, 5 set 5 rep (or fewer) training session. Somedays I just want to do 10 sets squat x 1 or 2 and call it a day. Do you all just wait another day or 2 until you feel up to the task of the complete workout, or do you do what you know you can and forget about the rest of it? I am a creature of habit so I will mentally beat myself up if I didn't have the energy or the balls for a normal day but sometimes I think mixing it up a bit can benefit mentally and especially physically. Your opinions please. For those of you who do go according to feel do you come back to the next squat workout (to incorporate your assistance/other lifts or do you move on to Bench day or whatever?

Shotgun workouts are great for me. I just did pretty much like you described Espo the other night, 2 x 8 on squats and that was it. I took my normal rest afterwards, and am doing presses today as scheduled. Sometimes time, stress, school, work, whatever takes a toll on you and you're not up to a regular workout. Days when I don't have anything coming up, practice, school, work whatever, I'll work extra hard in the gym. I think it's a great way to go because when you're not feeling up to it, and you press through a workout when you're tired, the next workout may suffer or your sport.

Alls I have to say 'bout shotguns out there, is don't you :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s listen to those guys who cry "overpenetration" at every cartride or load that's more powerful than a pee shooter.

Load that bitch with no greater thant #4 buck, and if you've got the balls, double ought baby! Let em h ave it!!

CarnalSalvation said:
Alls I have to say 'bout shotguns out there, is don't you :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s listen to those guys who cry "overpenetration" at every cartride or load that's more powerful than a pee shooter.

Load that bitch with no greater thant #4 buck, and if you've got the balls, double ought baby! Let em h ave it!!

Yeehaw, I love huntin' them deer up in the yuper.

Shotgun workouts are a good way to go I think. In less manly forums they are known as "listening to your body". About a week ago I had a deadlift, press, chinup, ab and grip session planned. Got through the deadlifts and felt pretty gassed. Decided to throw in the rest of the workout and do an extra two sets of deadlifts instead. Ended up working them pretty hard since I knew I was skipping the other stuff, and felt great afterwards.

I think it will be more of a battle for someone like yourself to learn NOT to beat yourself up mentally if you don't stick to the schedule. Go with the flow my friend.

Thanks for the advice JoeU. I only used the term "shotgun approach" because I didn't know what else to call it.

I have done very similar workouts to the 8x3 on the squats when I knew I was gonna skip the rest of the workout. Nothing wrong with switching it up once in a while.

Oh sorry, I forgot to add that I think it's better on your"psyche" then skipping your workout completely.

I do whatever the fuck I want in the gym. If it aint fun, why do it?
Just so happens I usually stick to a WSB styler outine, but I mix it up almost anyway I see fit.
For instance I just felt like doing chin ups the other day, so after my ME day I did a bunch of sets of chins.
People get stuck on the idea of a perfect routine and the ideal workput. Its all bullshit, work as hard as you can..thats the only real secret.

Yup.

When I dont have much time thats what I do.

I always start my WOs with either squats or deads... once in a blue moon i'll be really toast after them and call it a day. I think its fine, but i think of it as an indicator to take an extra rest day and really giv'r next time.

Foulsmeller said:
I do whatever the fuck I want in the gym. If it aint fun, why do it?
Just so happens I usually stick to a WSB styler outine, but I mix it up almost anyway I see fit.
For instance I just felt like doing chin ups the other day, so after my ME day I did a bunch of sets of chins.
People get stuck on the idea of a perfect routine and the ideal workput. Its all bullshit, work as hard as you can..thats the only real secret.
I agree with this. On a traditional routine I was very bad for missing workouts, so there would be times I'd go like 9 days without squatting (or whatever).

So now I'm doing; squat or deadlift, some kind of pressing, backwork, ab work, and then grip. That's intentionally vague so I can pick and chose and also be more creative with workouts. The theory being that if I do miss workouts it won't be as long since working a certain area, since I'm doing pretty much a full body thingmybob. Rather brilliantly it's removed any kind of monotony from gym time and I have yet to miss a workout.

NB I'm working out every 3 days as opposed to Mon Wed Fri with this routine.

I'm telling you: The WSB for skinny bastards has changed my life...power, endurance, variety, and improve my 2 mile run time? Its almost as good as sex with Carnal.

Back