• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crime Shooting at Christchurch Mosque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that even play into a culture war over there?

Maybe Rural vs Urban, I don't think it's politically partisan. Same in Australia for that matter, it was the centre-right party that introduced all our gun control.

Shooter was just mentally ill obviously

I know you're being sarcastic, but 9 out of 10 of such killers are disturbed and yet nothing like, nothing at all like insane or unknowing.

They typically spend years, or many, many months creating their warped and aghast comic book of ideas on which their "superman" kills the 1-dimensional "evil" - Nazi, Communist, Zombie, Muslim, Christian, JOOOZEW!, Vampyre of the Proletariat, or infidel is on offer.

The hatred is the fuel, we see the fire in blood.

A deep, deep shame to all of us, and regardless of credo or creed, we all do well to hate no one for no reason. Not even student drivers going 45 mph (65 odd km) in the passing lane. Have mercy on them, and on all of us, because we are part of the same family and none is immune from hate having a bad influence on life.

Well considering they appeared to only use "Type A" firearms, there's a good chance New Zealand will revisit the gun control debate.

Did you watch the video? He slaughters a room of about 15-20 people in roughly 4 secs. Then he proceeds to shoot up their dead bodies like you would in a video game, you know spraying them with bullets.

It's a good reality check on how deadly some rifles are in the wrong hands. Those people had no chance against that type of weaponry.

There is no European culture

That’s like saying “there is no Latino culture,” or “there is no Black culture.” It’s pretty inflammatory. People of European descent share a culture passed down over thousands of years. Of course it varies from region to region, but it still exists.

I'm not playing into his narrative, I'm describing his motivation.

I sense this attack hits home for you, both regionally and culturally, so I understand your reaction. Respectfully, you’re mostly describing his political views and beliefs; his motives were far more discrete. This was a man who fancied himself an agent of revenge, and he wanted to spark a race war. Plenty of people have Right-leaning views (even “Alt-Right”) but they don’t want to kill innocent people or provoke a race war.

His alt-right beliefs inspired his actions and determined his targets. He's far from alone in that either, starting with his hero Breivik and obviously including his accomplices.

He chose to take those actions. He is/was an evil man, as were his accomplices. People who hold Right-leaning views are not all evil though. And the “Alt-Right” basically doesn’t exist as a political force (they’re a bunch of cringy losers). Bottom line, you gotta blame the people, not the politics or beliefs.

He's an alt-right terrorist, the same as there's Islamist terrorists, eco terrorists, Saffron terrorists etc.
Political motivation is central to the definition of "terrorism".

I’m fine with labeling him a “terrorist.” It would probably be more accurate to call him an “Ethno-national Terrorist.” If you must delineate further, then consider “White Identity Extremist.” However, the term “Alt-Right Terrorist” is rather obtuse, especially given than people can’t agree on what exactly the Alt-Right is.

Right now, we’re all in agreement that killing innocent people is bad. Past that, pointing fingers at politics, race, religion, etc. puts people on different sides. IMO it’s best to call the guy a terrorist or mass murderer.

Christchurch mosques.... I'm confused AF

Maybe Rural vs Urban, I don't think it's politically partisan. Same in Australia for that matter, it was the centre-right party that introduced all our gun control.

I do think it is very wierd that he thought the gun aspect in the US was important being half a world away.

The US is very unique in the gun debate.

Other countries didn't write that into the supreme law of the land as a fundamental right.

It's... WR content and material.
To some extent yes I certainly agree. The rhetoric fits. But it's more like the dark underbelly of meme culture actually seeing the light. Like /pol/ posters following through on what they post. He posted before the attack on another site 8chan, where he was both dared to follow through and cheered on. It's sick when you read it and then what actually happens. It's like you reach a level of irony where you are completely disconnected from reality.

That’s like saying “there is no Latino culture,” or “there is no Black culture.” It’s pretty inflammatory. People of European descent share a culture passed down over thousands of years. Of course it varies from region to region, but it still exists.

I sense this attack hits home for you, both regionally and culturally, so I understand your reaction. Respectfully, you’re mostly describing his political views and beliefs; his motives were far more discrete. This was a man who fancied himself an agent of revenge, and he wanted to spark a race war. Plenty of people have Right-leaning views (even “Alt-Right”) but they don’t want to kill innocent people or provoke a race war.

He chose to take those actions. He is/was an evil man, as were his accomplices. People who hold Right-leaning views are not all evil though. And the “Alt-Right” basically doesn’t exist as a political force (they’re a bunch of cringy losers). Bottom line, you gotta blame the people, not the politics or beliefs.

I’m fine with labeling him a “terrorist.” It would probably be more accurate to call him an “Ethno-national Terrorist.” If you must delineate further, then consider “White Identity Extremist.” However, the term “Alt-Right Terrorist” is rather obtuse, especially given than people can’t agree on what exactly the Alt-Right is.

Right now, we’re all in agreement that killing innocent people is bad. Past that, pointing fingers at politics, race, religion, etc. puts people on different sides. IMO it’s best to call the guy a terrorist or mass murderer.

I think you're just trying to separate his beliefs from his actions because you share them to some extent.

Leftist has become a pretty well accepted alternative to the less accurate 'liberal' and is used by people even on the left to describe far left people. I think reading too much into words that you do not understand the context of isn't a strong argument.

Lots of accepted words that re-enforce the us vs them narrative.

The only us vs them war I support is a class war, and that is because it isn't me that decided it is us vs them. The elite have been at war with the lower classes, since as long as there have been classes.

Try that in Texas, and tell me how it works out.

Shit, try it Washington state. Half the dudes I know conceal carry.

Duck you. One concealed carry hero and this doesn’t happen

lol at you two gun-toting rednecks with your false security. The attacker will ALWAYS have the upper hand. You ever heard of the North Hollywood shootout? Two bank robbers donned heavy armor and practically walked through a hailstorm of bullets from local police as if it was nothing - even heavily armed SWAT had a hard time taking them down (something like 2,000 rounds exchanged total). Your little conceal carry peashooter can't do shit against that kind of planning and foresight. All your pro-gun laws have done is make it easier for the attackers to kill more people as they can stack up on a weapon arsenal that makes the local SWAT look like a hobby shop (see Las Vegas shooting for reference). Oh, and have kids shoot up their schools because they're angry. Let's not forget that.

Last edited:
What would one google to find the video of the shooting?

lol at you two gun-toting rednecks with your false security. The attacker will ALWAYS have the upper hand. You ever heard of the North Hollywood shootout? Two bank robbers donned heavy armor and practically walked through a hailstorm of bullets from local police as if it was nothing - even heavily armed SWAT had a hard time taking them down (something like 2,000 rounds exchanged total). Your little conceal carry peashooter can't do shit against that kind of planning and foresight. All your pro-gun laws have done is make it easier for the attackers to kill more people as they can stack up on a weapon arsenal that makes the local SWAT look like a hobby shop (see Las Vegas shooting for reference). Oh, and have kids shoot up their schools because their angry. Let's not forget that.

After that shooting, all police departments started carrying rifles.

They had to go to a pawn shop to get the AR-15 that actually put the shooters down.

That shooting doesn't teach the lesson you think it does.

Shocking..... Absolute scumbag.

1- this will not covered in the media (maybe 2 minutes) and fox news will not cover it
2- the killer is watching too much tv and get brain washed
3- the media will not call it " terrorist attack "
4- the media will not point out the killer race or religion
5- the media will not call this " Christian terrorism " as they do with others
6- finally, the societies and tax payers will pay more to security companies because they will get more contacts

Did you watch the video? He slaughters a room of about 15-20 people in roughly 4 secs. Then he proceeds to shoot up their dead bodies like you would in a video game, you know spraying them with bullets.

It's a good reality check on how deadly some rifles are in the wrong hands. Those people had no chance against that type of weaponry.

No, there's no chance I'm going to watch that video.
I'm not inherently against gun control, but I did think that New Zealand's model was better than ours in Australia up until this point.
It's part of his manifesto that the gun argument would get him more exposure, and he wasn't wrong about that.
I just don't think a shooter in NZ is going to effect the US, because people are generally parochial and the US has so many shootings anyway, why would they care about one in NZ?

"Won’t your attack result in calls for the removal of gun rights from Whites in the United states?
Yes, that is the plan all along, you said you would fight to protect your rights and the constitution, well soon will come the time.
Won’t your attack result in calls for the removal of gun rights in the New Zealand?
The gun owners of New Zealand are a beaten, miserable bunch of baby boomers, who have long since given up the fight. When was the last time they won increased rights? Their loss was inevitable. I just accelerated things a bit. They had long since lost their cities, take a look at Auckland. Did you really expect they would not also lose their rights?
Why did you choose to use firearms?
I could have chosen any weapons or means. A TATP filled rental van. Household flour, a method of dispersion and an ignition source. A ballpeen hammer and a wooden shield.Gas,fire,vehicular attacks,plane attacks, any means were available. I had the will and I had the resources. I chose firearms for the affect it would have on social discourse, the extra media coverage they would provide and the affect it could have on the politics of United states and thereby the political situation of the world. The US is torn into many factions by its second amendment, along state, social, cultural and, most importantly, racial lines. With enough pressure the left wing within the United states will seek to abolish the second amendment, and the right wing within the US will see this as an attack on their very freedom and liberty. This attempted abolishment of rights by the left will result in a dramatic polarization of the people in the United States and eventually a fracturing of the US along cultural and racial lines."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back