Shogun (that beat Machida) vs Weidman (that beat Silva): Who wins?

Prime Shogun was an absolute killer. Well rounded highlight reel. He gets shit on constantly by the kids who missed PRIDE simply because they have no idea what he was prior to the UFC and injuries.
Shogun should be fondly remembered as Jon Jones before there was Jon Jones (in terms of talent).
Dude was almost universally considered the future of the sport before he got injuries. A more athletic more technical version of Wanderlei, and he was still raw as shit.

In 2009 Weedman was a nobody

Shogun used to be a fucking beast. Weidman wouldn't want any of him on the feet.

Shogun easily destroys overrated win by fluke twice Weidman.

The Shogun that fought Machida in UFC104 could ripped the legs off the Weidman that beat Silve in their first time,
because in the second one, Weidman trained to block leg-kicks.

Prime Shogun was an absolute killer. Well rounded highlight reel. He gets shit on constantly by the kids who missed PRIDE simply because they have no idea what he was prior to the UFC and injuries.

As someone who's closely followed Shogun's career from the beginning, his fighting prime was in the UFC vs Liddell and Machida 1. He showed a very rounded striking skillset, whereas he was more of a brawler in Pride. He blew his ACL again in the second Machida fight and it was all done from there.

To answer the original question....Weidman in the new era of testing would have trouble with 2009 Shogun, I believe.

You think Weidman could stand decently with Prime Shogun? I think he gets hurt pretty bad trying to stand with Shogun.

I'd go with Shogun. He wins on the feat and has a chance to sub if it goes to the ground. Very close call though.
Shogun wasnt in his prime when he beat Machida. The Shogun that beat Machida was past his peak. Multiple knee surgeries sapped that explosive ability that made him the Grand Prix champion. That, and the far superior Pride ruleset.

Shogun's prime was from 2003-2006. Weidman loses to that Shogun, as do most anyone not named Jon Jones. Although I don't think Jon Jones would have been near as dominant in Pride.

As someone who's closely followed Shogun's career from the beginning, his fighting prime was in the UFC vs Liddell and Machida 1. He showed a very rounded striking skillset, whereas he was more of a brawler in Pride. He blew his ACL again in the second Machida fight and it was all done from there.

To answer the original question....Weidman in the new era of testing would have trouble with 2009 Shogun, I believe.
Shogun's prime was 03-06.

Shogun never had takedown defense so Weidman takes this fight pretty easily.

Shogun wasnt in his prime when he beat Machida. The Shogun that beat Machida was past his peak. Multiple knee surgeries sapped that explosive ability that made him the Grand Prix champion. That, and the far superior Pride ruleset.

Shogun's prime was from 2003-2006. Weidman loses to that Shogun, as do most anyone not named Jon Jones. Although I don't think Jon Jones would have been near as dominant in Pride.

That's fair enough. But Shogun looked so damn good during those two bouts with Machida. He looked close to his prime to me. I remember thinking Machida was going be champ for a 2+ years before Shogun beat* him twice in a row.

Weidman , hes too tough and durable, he would be in shoguns face all night long and would eventually finish him or just beat him down over the course of 5 rounds.

Shogun's prime was 03-06.
LOL, 03 Shogun against Kanehara, Shoji, and getting tapped by Babalu was far from his Prime. How do you expect a 19 year old to be in his prime? Even in his 05 run, although he was awesome, his striking was not very defensive. He was in amazing shape against Machida and Liddell and had an amazing camp with a dedicated boxing trainer and it showed.

That's fair enough. But Shogun looked so damn good during those two bouts with Machida. He looked close to his prime to me. I remember thinking Machida was going be champ for a 2+ years before Shogun beat* him twice in a row.

he was totally in his prime at the time, I actually met him and his team during the time and that was consensus too. That one combo against Liddell with the headmovement and the body kick while moving backwards was the single greatest highlight of his career.

Um, 104 shogun wrecks any version of weidman.

That shogun was a physical specimen that had power of a HW, agility of a WW and stamina of a FW. There was a reason why Shogun has numerous highlight reels while Weidman has that one fluke high reel that wasn't actually about him.

Takedown this, takedown that. Shogun is always going for the kill. You can't defend takedowns actively while going 100% straight on to kill. Besides, shogun has slick ground game. I don't think a MW like weidman would do anything to shogun in his guard.

Machida was taking him down at will in the second fight. Weidman would rag doll him.

Back