• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shogun tapping to strikes

I respect anyone willing to go in the ring and fight. They put their health on the line & it must be mentally tough. That's what entertains us MMA fans. Trying & tapping out is better than not trying at all. Hespect!

Nothing wrong with tapping to strikes, if you're taking punishment and come to realize you can't compete or affect change anymore its a realistic decision. But let's be serious, Khabib bullied his cousin for tapping to a choke. I had a coach tell me one time "don't give up like a pussy, if you get hurt go out like a man" and that was for my first amateur fights as a young lad.

You can't compare your low level Amy fight to a lifetime of pro fights vs the best. You didn't take 0.1% punishment that they have. You didn't even make it to be an amateur. Dabbled into a fight or two and had enough.

Never understood shitting on a fighter for this. This isn’t a fight to the death, it’s a sport. We don’t berate fighters for tapping to submissions. Nothing wrong with living to fight another day, there’s real long term effects in this sport. Also, I assume most that say this shit online have never had the shit beaten out of them and probably need it.

You can't compare your low level Amy fight to a lifetime of pro fights vs the best. You didn't take 0.1% punishment that they have. You didn't even make it to be an amateur. Dabbled into a fight or two and had enough.

I'm not comparing it, I'm making a point. That culture and perception of giving up being dishonorable is there in martial arts and combat sports whether you agree with it or not.

With the discussion of pride fighters in the ufc these days, this makes me wonder.

Is shogun the only pride fighter to tap to strikes? Does paul craig have enough stopping power in his punches to make a legend quit in mid fight?
Shogun took a hell of a sustained beating , it's 1 of the only times my small mind has justified someone tapping to strikes. Most fighters would have rolled over and let the reff stop it well before the final sequence.

Live to fight another day. No shame in tapping.

Nothing wrong with tapping to strikes, if you're taking punishment and come to realize you can't compete or affect change anymore its a realistic decision. But let's be serious, Khabib bullied his cousin for tapping to a choke. I had a coach tell me one time "don't give up like a pussy, if you get hurt go out like a man" and that was for my first amateur fights as a young lad.
Some coaches go a bit overboard on the tough love. I understand what he means though. He's like fight through it,a choke wont kill you,so dont give up,try to break the choke,dont just give up.

I do understand the sentiment. It does breed a warrior mentality. I remember when Ralph Gracie's students was sayin "hey i won all three of my fights!" (in a tournament)

Ralph: :: unimpressed :: did you submit them all?

no!

Ralph: then what are you celebrating for? Winning is what we're SUPPOSED to do.

lol thats too far,but I do get the intent.

Shit happens. The world was counting Shogun out. Jones opens with a flying knee. He beat the brakes off Shogun. At that point in the fight he blasted him in the body and almost kneed him in the face

Troll thread

Why did everyone hate on GSP for tapping but defend Shogun? I just want consistency lol.
because of the situation, GsP panicked and tapped at the 1st sign of danger early into the fight. Shogun on the other hand sustained a extended beat down that physically and mentally crushed him. GsP showed no perseverance and panicked which is what led to the tap more due to fear that being broken down.

Also this doesn't take away from GSPs greatness.

I'm not comparing it, I'm making a point. That culture and perception of giving up being dishonorable is there in martial arts and combat sports whether you agree with it or not.

And it's honorable to lose your brain. Culture and perception doesn't mean something coming from watchers who aren't doing what they criticize. It's easy to say. Not an atack on you just saying generally.

Why did everyone hate on GSP for tapping but defend Shogun? I just want consistency lol.
This. I have a zero problems with a fighter tapping to strikes, but I have spent years reading posts from GSP haters who bring it up ad nauseum, but nobody talks about when Shogun did it against Jones. It’s just selective hate.

I've seen people give Shogun shit for it, but GOAT candidates just get talked about more.

because of the situation, GsP panicked and tapped at the 1st sign of danger early into the fight. Shogun on the other hand sustained a extended beat down that physically and mentally crushed him. GsP showed no perseverance and panicked which is what led to the tap more due to fear that being broken down.

Also this doesn't take away from GSPs greatness.

Good point. Just because there was a similar way of submitting, doesn't make it a completely identical case.

you can just turtle up like Rory mac did against Lawler and the ref will stop it right away. No shame in that.

I'll have to watch the fight again. What I recall was Rory letting himself fall seconds after Lawler hit him. Eric Silva turtled up against Matt Brown; Brandon Vera, against Jon Jones, but they were already down.
I can't think of another fight that ended like MacDonald- Lawler 2.

2wn1laf_jpg.gif
Picto was so full of himself and started the fight by running and flying kneeing Shogun iirc. He was right and landed.
Confidence is everything... and the aura. Look at Anderson. Or Barão. Or Aldo. Or even the GOAT.
People went to fight em like lambs knowing they're ready for slaughter.

Back