Shirt Grabbers!!!!!!!!

Joey Guidice

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
This thread is more of me just blowing off steam, but theres this guy who just started training at our school...hes a blue belt from another school on long island.....OK so the guy has a gi on all class,...we do some guard passing drills and all that and then its open mat. He asks me to roll and asks if i wouldn't mind removing my gi so that he can work his no-gi game i said sure....so we're rolling and he starts grabbing my T-shirt and procedes to rip it down the middle hulk hogan style......i got really pissed and told him that it was fucked up and that people don't do that at this school. He tried to be nice about and and offered to pay for the shirt i said dont worry about it and just blew it off.....NOW today i saw him rolling with someone else doing the exact same thing....

ANYONE Else have a similar experience with shirt grabbers?

shirt grabbers are teh suck.
when i roll no gi and someone grabs mine i give them a cheap shot with a knuckle bearing into them while posting or i push on thier chin very hard.

it was a very tight T-shirt......i only have one rashguard and it was dirty.....the most amazing thing to me is that this guy today was goin for like a gi choke with the guys T-shirt

i've never had my shirt ripped like that. i'd be pissed too.

i had my shirt grabbed once, but not ripped, maybe because my shirt was soaked with sweat and was stronger?. Either way, no gi mean no grabbing shirts no?
-Jon

Shirt grabbers suck, but they're only impeding themselves. In no gi competitions you can't grab the shirt like that. So let him suffer....

I'm still trying to figure out why he bothered asking you to remove your gi. Working on your no gi game means working on grappling without having any clothing to grab on to, does it not?

I'd have made him pay for the shirt, no doubt.

hmm you know, the first time i did bjj i did that to a guy but then he tapped me out like 8 times afterwards. it taught me to stop that gay shit immediately.

I've seen some nasty chokes with t-shirts/rash guards at a couple of the NAGA tourneys (on the East Coast ) . When asked the ref said if you don't want him to use it then don't wear it ...I think shirt grabbing is lame ...I've lost a couple good shirts that way...

If somebody actually tore my shirt, I'd be pissed. I've had my shirts stretched out because a foot got caught on the bottom of it or whatever, but those are accidents. Actually grabbing the shirt is lame.

I usually wear a rashguard unless I haven't had time to do the wash to avoid this problem.

I'm relatively new to BJJ, but I've been wrestling for 10 years and I'm pretty good (Juniour National Champ, I've got proof if you want).
I roll with a guy who kills everyone else in the class but has a lot of problems with me. We usually stalemate in terms of submissions, although I get his back or get mounted more often than I should on a guy thats been doing it as long as him.
My issue is this, when he starts to get frustrated about not subbing me he goes for a collar choke. The problem is that this is a no gi class. He tapped me out the first time, because I'd no idea what he was doing, and since then its become his go-to move. He hasn't tapped me since the first time, but it still pisses me off. I wouldn't care that much except tshirts aren't designed for that sort of stress, and hes wrecked about four of my grappling tshirts.

tell him it's a nogi class and that it's costing you a lot of money to continually replace those t-shirts.

tear up 4 of my shirts and you will pay.
collar choke with the shirt---screw that, check his oil

There are several collar chokes that you can use shirts on, but they do destroy your shirts.

MadMonkeyBJJx9 said:
This thread is more of me just blowing off steam, but theres this guy who just started training at our school...hes a blue belt from another school on long island.....OK so the guy has a gi on all class,...we do some guard passing drills and all that and then its open mat. He asks me to roll and asks if i wouldn't mind removing my gi so that he can work his no-gi game i said sure....so we're rolling and he starts grabbing my T-shirt and procedes to rip it down the middle hulk hogan style......i got really pissed and told him that it was fucked up and that people don't do that at this school. He tried to be nice about and and offered to pay for the shirt i said dont worry about it and just blew it off.....NOW today i saw him rolling with someone else doing the exact same thing....

ANYONE Else have a similar experience with shirt grabbers?

Yeah, I'd be pissed off as well dude. Glad i wear a rash guard

It seems to me that since using whatever clothing your opponent has is allowed in most no-gi tournaments, it should be allowed in class, but everyone should wear dollar store T-shirts, which the school could buy and re-sell to its students at cost, and have a policy wear the ripper pays for the replacement.

Back