Shin Splints - When are they gone?

Paedde

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
So I had shin splits for months now and I stopped training a few weeks and can't wait to start training again. I was told I should wait until they are gone.

But when is that? How do I know it? I don't feel anymore pain without overusing them, but when I press a finger between the muscle and bone it still hurts like hell.

Did anyone else had them? And when did you start training again? And how has it worked out for you?

Thanks for every answer in advance

....and yes I have experienced them numerous times but rest, ususlly a week off from running does it for me.

a good rule of thumb, i've learned the hard way, is wait until your have to symptoms, and then wait 2 more weeks.

when you start back out again really ease into it too.

Putting an ice pack on your shins 30min a day speeds up the healing. They should be good after a week, but if not, don't try to work through the pain because the inflammation will just get worse.

You can switch to doing cardio on a bike, it doesn't stress the connective tissue between your muscles and shin bone like the impact of running does.

a good rule of thumb, i've learned the hard way, is wait until your have to symptoms, and then wait 2 more weeks.

when you start back out again really ease into it too.

QFT. I learned the hard way too. I had shin splint pretty bad and then after a week, it got better but I could still feel it...maybe about 80% better. I went right back into running and fucked it up even more. I couldnt run for over a month. So def take your time and like JSN mentioned...when it feels better...wait another week or 2 then start running again. I was running on pavement too and when I posted my shin splint problem here and did some research...it was told its better not to run on pavement. Run on grass or on a track and get some good quality running shoes.

I play a lot of basketball for cardio and I had horrible shin splints for a while. I went to see a Physical therepist and they made a mold of my feet, then customized inserts for my shoes. The arches of my feet were larger than normal, thus putting more strain on that part of my leg.

The ones they made didn't make the rest of my foot comfortable, so I went and got "Shock doctors" insoles, put them in my shoes and stayed off the court for a couple weeks. I also did some stretching of the foot but extending the leg and rotating it around. This worked best with a larger rubber band type of thing I pulleyed around my toes and grabed with my hands to create leverage so there was a restitance when stretching.

I've kept insoles in my shoes and haven't let them wear down as much, no I don't have a problem at all with them.

Just had a training partner "work through the pain" of shin splints after only two weeks. He now has to stay off of his shin splints turned stress fractures for over a month. Let them heal, 3-5 weeks.

I started running 7 years ago and I still get them from time to time, never from LSD, even when I spend hours on the road, but pretty much every time I do sprints. This is probably because I'm pretty good at LSD and have learned proper technique, but with sprints I'm a total spastic and my feet tend to really splat.

Jumping rope before you go running helps a bit. Stretch your calf and shin muscles every day, lift plates or DBs with your toes, R/MICE when it hurts, and don't ever try to run through it. Oh and run on grass.

I wrecked my legs with those until I got stress fractures thinking that if I pushed through it they my body would adjust and they'de go away. It took about 3 months with 1-2 X week physical therapy, icing, and Ibuprofens. I was on the Ibuprofens forever after... it took a LONG LONG time to completely heal :( I'm smart now, if I feel an injury coming on, I work around it instead of forcing it!

I found that stretching the calf muscles half way through and at the end of your run and iceing the shin after words made mine go away completely

shin splints suck. try to do low impact cardio. i learned to hard way too by running around my town on the sidewalks which have no give. probably the worst thing you can run on...besides lava

I had shin splints once and I learned this exercise to help prevent them. Its like a reverse calf raise. You just lift the front of your foot off the ground with your heel planted. You can do it in street clothes and while sitting. I would do it during class and stuff.

Anyway, you just keep doing it and it starts to burn real bad. Supposed to target the muscles in that area. You will feel which ones, trust me. Never had shin splints once again once I developed those muscles. Not sure if it was from continuous use of that exercise, or just genetics but I never had shin splints again and I played basketball, ran track/cross-country and was big into weight lifting and plyometrics.

I had shin splints really bad, I purchased a good pair of running shoes; iced my shins after every run, and took a lot of advil. Within a couple of weeks they were almost non existent. Invest in a pair of good running shoes is my best advice.

Google "shin splints exercises". You will find a ton of different exercises that will strengthen muscles that help prevent shin splints. Do this! Just taking time off and icing will not make this go away. You need to get your calve/shin muscles in shape.

Google "shin splints exercises". You will find a ton of different exercises that will strengthen muscles that help prevent shin splints. Do this! Just taking time off and icing will not make this go away. You need to get your calve/shin muscles in shape.

Wow, I just realized that high school experience was almost 8 years ago and before GOOGLE became a verb.

But you should absolutlely look into injury prevention, and that seems to be what CMBURNS and I are getting at. Doesn't help you now, but it will later.

I will start to do that excercies.

Today is the big day... I will try it again and if I still feel any pain I will go and see a doc, can't feel them anymore except some little pain when pressing hard, but it's nothing like before.

Thanks for your help, I hope everything will go as I expect.

Ice ftw.

Freeze some paper cups filled with water, and give yourself a shin massage, tearing off the cup as the ice melts. Others on Sherdog have recommended this in the past and it's really helped me with my own shin pain issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back