Shin splints - treatment ?

PWR1982

Green Belt
Reaction score
After using the famous search button, I have come to the fact that I may have shin splints.

It started about 2 weeks ago, running started to hurt, and it got even worse when I stopped. I noticed it hurts less when training ( warming up ) without shoes. The shins hurt me on the inside, close to the ankle. Its getting a bit better, but it still hurts me if I do basicly anything which involves impact on the floor.

So my question is what is the best way to heal them?
Ive read lots of the posts and Im not really sure what to think.
I have stopped jogging, will buy better shoes before I go jogging once it gets better, will stop running on hard surface, and I will try to correct my running posture, which someone mentioned is important in prevention aswell.
But meanwhile I would like them to get healed as fast as possible, and I dont really understand correctly what I can do about it.

Is resting the only thing? For how much longer should I rest? Should I go see a doctor? Should I ice it or something? It doesnt hurt by itself when I dont run the same day.

Im not completely sure that I have shin splints and Ill only be happy if I do not, but if I do, please give me some advice that I did not write here.

I don't know. I've gotten pain in my shins quite a few times. I guess that's what everyone calls shin splints and I just run through it. It's not like something is really injured its just painful.

I'm not saying everyone should just run through it...but that's what I do and I haven't been injured because of it.

I had them real bad. I need to get a new pair of funning shoes and give it another shot.

To fix shin splints:

A) do some barefoot running in grass or sand
B) get one of the toe spreaders that women use to paint their nails and spread your toes with it while you stand on a golf ball and apply as much pressure throughout the bottom of your foot
C) get a high quality pair of running shoes
D) get some ART or Graston done on your shins
E) Stay off hard surfaces for awhile

I had them pretty bad a couple weeks ago. I avoided activities like running and jumprope and that kinda stuff, instead i did some cycling and swimming for cardio. Also after training cool shins with ice packs. After a couple of weeks I slowly started shadowboxing and short jumprope sessions again. Now my shins are back to normal. So my advice: rest and ice.

The shins hurt me on the inside, close to the ankle. Its getting a bit better, but it still hurts me if I do basicly anything which involves impact on the floor.

Ive been having exactly the same problem, Ive found that resting them seems to be the trick and try changing your footwear when training.

You have to build up the front part of your shins do toe raises and heavy compound lifts for you legs. Also if you have a heavy bag around kick it to numb the nerves.

To fix shin splints:

B) get one of the toe spreaders that women use to paint their nails and spread your toes with it while you stand on a golf ball and apply as much pressure throughout the bottom of your foot

I was about to what the hell with the B) suggestion, but realised you're due more respect :icon_chee.

I'm guessing its something to do with relieving the knots/pressure

I would also +1 the toe raises. Do some off a step for increased ROM and stay off hard services for a while (2-4 weeks)

Run through it? Though i did that and i think at most it lasted two weeks...

The problem is the front part of your shin is not strong enough. Do exercises for this muscle. ie. put your butt against a wall with your feet about 1 foot away and try to raise your toes up high without the sole of your foot coming off the ground. do a bunch of reps and try it with only one foot on the ground. you could also try walking back and forth without letting the front part of your foot touch the ground.

To fix shin splints:

I forgot to ask, what is ART and Graston?

Rest.
I had them not long ago and still trained, resulting in having a much longer break and not training for months... Do yourself a favor and rest until you don't feel the pain anymore when you apply pressure to your shinbone.

Hope this helps.
P

what I liked to do is get a sock, cut a hole on the end of it, so it's a tube now. then you put the ice pack in that and put your foot in it

so you can like walk around and watch tv and shit without the ice pack moving. helped lots with my shin splints.

~Foz

try acupuncture this worked mine out before i got my custom orthotics never get them now

Back