shin conditioning

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Check this video out guys and tell me what you think of it?

My first impression is its BS as the correct way to build up your shins in MT is to kick the bag, but.............if we compare it to some of the conditioning methods of other martial arts. This way of doing things does seem to work, for more areas of the body the just the shins as well. I cant say I agree with shin conditioning this way but I am definitely guilty of doing this, the rolling pin, etc. myself in my younger days.

tenor.gif

shit, i think most of us did it at some point to toughen up our shins but at the end of the day, just kick the damn bag.

most of that kung fu conditioning stuff is legit but what they were showing there is basically baby steps towards hard strikes.

I've seen footage of old Chinese guys conditioning their genitals to strikes by hitting themselves in the junk and kicking each other in the junk repeatedly and quite hard. Apparently they spend hours every week kicking each other in the balls.

As long as they never have to spar it's acceptable right?

Your shins will get strong enough from kicking bags, pads and other people's shins, knees and elbows

most of that kung fu conditioning stuff is legit but what they were showing there is basically baby steps towards hard strikes.

I've seen footage of old Chinese guys conditioning their genitals to strikes by hitting themselves in the junk and kicking each other in the junk repeatedly and quite hard. Apparently they spend hours every week kicking each other in the balls.

As long as they never have to spar it's acceptable right?
I have to disagree ,Kung fu fighter s did spar and hold competitions called lei tai . True even then some would not compete claiming they you’re too dangerous and could only be used in real in real fight and by doing so lost respect. If you fought and lost cause you to lose respect. No one wanted to learn from them . Tragically the war and then cultural revolution damaged CMA . Communist banned MA and killed many teachers . CMA are changing . To be clear I believe at one time some Kung fu styles were or could be effective.

Last edited:
Start playing soccer competitively.

tenor.gif

shit, i think most of us did it at some point to toughen up our shins but at the end of the day, just kick the damn bag.

Well, it worked for a Muay Thai and UFC champion so who am I to argue?

6y6r03u.gif

I have to disagree ,Kung fu fighter s did spar and hold competitions called lei tai . True even then some would not compete claiming they you’re too dangerous and could only be used in real in real fight and by doing so lost respect. If you fought and lost cause you to lose respect. No one wanted to learn from them . Tragically the war and then cultural revolution damaged CMA . Communist banned MA and killed many teachers . CMA are changing . To be clear I believe at one time some Kung fu styles were or could be effective.
I don't doubt that many of them were at various points in time effective or that their are hidden gems buried within movement patterns contained by various descendent movement traditions of those martial forms. I think it will depend on where particular arts came from and if the traditions based on open hand fighting or weapons systems. For example in Japanese mainland where they had samurai the main system was Ju Jitsu a grappling based style with the striking reserved for weapons. In Okinawa where weapons were banned the style of Karate is utilized where strikes are made with hands and feet rather than weapons.

Don't get me wrong I do not hate on CMA's and I think Sanda or Wushu is amazing. I am a big fan of East Asian Kicking heavy styles integrated with takedowns and wish hapkido trained like sanda. My point has been all along that TMA's that are no longer functional can be brought back to life if they train with sparing and cross train in a living grappling tradition. It is just at various points I may have come across as triggered or annoyed due to fighter twisters trolling where he shits all over western martial traditions and then promotes what is essentially larping as an effective means of defending oneself in real life situations. This whole culture of trolling is new to me and didn't realize he was a troll where the intention is to trigger others baiting them into a discussion only to be criticized for being triggered.

other ways of conditioning work and are needed outside of just the shin

Pretty brutal half way through when dude starts judo chopping rocks.

Last edited:
Well, it worked for a Muay Thai and UFC champion so who am I to argue?

6y6r03u.gif

is that valentina?
i kicked a few banana trees but then i stopped...they were not that hard and honestly, i love bananas, i don't want to kill a tree.

I don't doubt that many of them were at various points in time effective or that their are hidden gems buried within movement patterns contained by various descendent movement traditions of those martial forms. I think it will depend on where particular arts came from and if the traditions based on open hand fighting or weapons systems. For example in Japanese mainland where they had samurai the main system was Ju Jitsu a grappling based style with the striking reserved for weapons. In Okinawa where weapons were banned the style of Karate is utilized where strikes are made with hands and feet rather than weapons.

Don't get me wrong I do not hate on CMA's and I think Sanda or Wushu is amazing. I am a big fan of East Asian Kicking heavy styles integrated with takedowns and wish hapkido trained like sanda. My point has been all along that TMA's that are no longer functional can be brought back to life if they train with sparing and cross train in a living grappling tradition. It is just at various points I may have come across as triggered or annoyed due to fighter twisters trolling where he shits all over western martial traditions and then promotes what is essentially larping as an effective means of defending oneself in real life situations. This whole culture of trolling is new to me and didn't realize he was a troll where the intention is to trigger others baiting them into a discussion only to be criticized for being triggered.
Have thought of Teukgong moosool ?

TGMS incorporates the most effective features of Hapkido, TKD CMA , Judo and Kyuk Too Ki Its sparring primarily revolves around Kyuk Too Ki (which is similar to the official martial art of the PLA - Sanda . In addition, grappling techniques are heavily emphasised as are submissions and joint manipulations of Hapkido. Judo throws are also learned, as is the footwork of Taekwondo .

Last edited:
I wonder what the science is behind knuckle or other body part conditioning (not shins). It's actually proven that your shins can sustain microfractures and regrow tougher. Do we actually know that's true for knuckles?

On a related note, my Russian buddy told me that Russian criminals were injecting vaseline under their knuckles with a syringe. He said that over time it hardens and then the knuckles are much tougher for bare knuckle punching. Not saying this is true, just passing along

Have thought of Teukgong moosool ?

TGMS incorporates the most effective features of Hapkido, TKD CMA , Judo and Kyuk Too Ki Its sparring primarily revolves around Kyuk Too Ki (which is similar to the official martial art of the PLA - Sanda . In addition, grappling techniques are heavily emphasised as are submissions and joint manipulations of Hapkido. Judo throws are also learned, as is the footwork of Taekwondo .
Im gonna check it out thanks!

Not many schools for it
it didn't look like they spar either. I just saw a lot of demos when I looked on you tube and one where little kids are sparring on the bare ground without a mat. I hope sanda schools are common.

it didn't look like they spar either. I just saw a lot of demos when I looked on you tube and one where little kids are sparring on the bare ground without a mat. I hope sanda schools are common.
I don’t know if they have sparring . As for sanda not many schools either . Do research on anyone claiming to teaching Sanda .

I wonder what the science is behind knuckle or other body part conditioning (not shins). It's actually proven that your shins can sustain microfractures and regrow tougher. Do we actually know that's true for knuckles?

On a related note, my Russian buddy told me that Russian criminals were injecting vaseline under their knuckles with a syringe. He said that over time it hardens and then the knuckles are much tougher for bare knuckle punching. Not saying this is true, just passing along

Interesting exchange in this forum;

https://martialarts.stackexchange.com/questions/8065/how-to-condition-knuckles

Sounds like there is a huge cost to all this hardening.

Back