shin block

NuTzOnSwOll

Purple Belt
Reaction score
just curious............how many of you are good at blocking kicks with your knee ?

I try it sometimes with shinpads and am usually succesful with it but when sparring you dont want to injure your partner so its not something regularly practised.

Not really a good practice unless you don't like your sparring partner. If you've ever had a goose egg on your shin or top of your foot you would understand why this is a bad idea.

Not really a good practice unless you don't like your sparring partner. If you've ever had a goose egg on your shin or top of your foot you would understand why this is a bad idea.

hmmm.....i asked cuz its seems i happen to do this a lot. Spar a couple rounds with me and its guaranteed that ima stop at least 5-6 good ones with my knee.
I dont do it purposely (dont even think i could if i tried) and it never happens when light sparring but spar regular/hard and it just happens...a lot. I think even my block feels different. I barely lift my leg n BA-AM right on the knee or 2" below.
In fact , in my last fight i broke my opp's ankle/foot with it (but his andrenaline and my ignorance of the fact carried him past the bell)

I do it accidentally on training partners because I drive across with the same leg (their right leg and my right leg) which means that I stop short.

I do it accidentally on training partners because I drive across with the same leg (their right leg and my right leg) which means that I stop short.

i just dont lift my leg high enough. when defending i dont believe in wasted motion (as far as i can control it)

should we stop/train it out of us ?

Yeah, I do the same thing of not lifting my leg high enough sometimes. For me, the thinking is that I'm trying to catch their instep with my shin... If I lift it too high, we might go instep to instep which is not what I want.

I'm trying to get better about it though because I do screw people up with my knee sometimes. A couple weeks ago I took 3 guys out with it in sparring one night, and I felt bad about it. But I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing in a fight?

I stand southpaw most the time and when they go for an inside leg kick with there right 9 out 10x I block with my knee. Also sometimes when I'm blocking body roundhouse kicks I get with my elbows. Never consciously tried to do it but it just tends to happen.

Yeah, I do the same thing of not lifting my leg high enough sometimes. For me, the thinking is that I'm trying to catch their instep with my shin... If I lift it too high, we might go instep to instep which is not what I want.

I'm trying to get better about it though because I do screw people up with my knee sometimes. A couple weeks ago I took 3 guys out with it in sparring one night, and I felt bad about it. But I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing in a fight?

lol...i dunno.

ive noticed the harder they kick the more it hurts them .....so i think they should ease the fuck up or watch when/where/how you throw them.

i just dont lift my leg high enough. when defending i dont believe in wasted motion (as far as i can control it)

should we stop/train it out of us ?

I'm reluctant to stop it fully because it can be advantageous with regards to positioning sometimes but really I do it dependant upon the skill level of who I'm sparring because you don't want to be breaking a bone in some poor kids leg just because you got something wrong.
The short version is not totally because it could be beneficial in competition but against lesser opponents then yes.

lol...i dunno.

ive noticed the harder they kick the more it hurts them .....so i think they should ease the fuck up or watch when/where/how you throw them.

I think it can eventually cause damage to your knee overtime as well. your knee cap cant take too much punishment. I prefer shin checks.

I think it can eventually cause damage to your knee overtime as well. your knee cap cant take too much punishment. I prefer shin checks.

hmmm.......but isnt the bent knee damn near indestructible ?

I have the same problem. If sparring's light my shin blocks are Ok. As soon as it gets hard and I have to function on instinct I start catching them on my knee.

I would try to train out of it because I'm afraid it's too close to missing the block, but I'm not sure that would work.

I only do it if i really do not like someone that i am sparring with.

not sure if you're serious

just like wrestlers (or grapplers) wear knee pads when they shoot. The knee is bent but over time damage starts to occur

? They are two totally different things. wrestlers wear knee pads to support the ligaments, not bones.

I can do it pretty well with shinguards on but doing it without (which I've never done in sparring) scares the fuck out of me. We were just doing the motions on each other and checking a kick made both of us limp

If the other guy throws the kick from the right angle, catching the knee shouldn't be a problem. It can only hurt you when you hit the actual front of the kneecap, which means that either the kicker in question is A) Not getting enough arc into the kick, meaning that the kick is going straight from the ground to the knee, diagonally; or B) The other guy is standing too square, and isn't kicking from a good angle.

Either way, it results from deficient technique, and the problem has to do with the technical mechanics of the kick/ footwork.

Back