Sherdogers who were old enough to experienced when Nirvana dethroned MJ's Dangerous Album

RowdyLesnar

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How was is it? Did you felt the cultural shift was coming? Did you think that 80s has finally died?

forget MJ, it literally destroyed Hair/Glam metal

Steel Heart hung in there for a bit, but Monster Ballads era was killed by Soundgarden and Nirvana

Oddly enough, Michael Bolton started off as a Glam band singer and made the jump to another genre before it crashed, as did Pantera

You could tell that a dark age for rock music was upon us. Gone were nice melodies, in were ugly voices and unpleasant chord sequences. Grunge produced some good songs but proportionately it wasn't good.

I remember. My dad wasn't happy about grunge music in 1991, he said it retards the brain and told me to stop listening to that crap. Fast forward and I do feel like I have a lower than normal IQ.

I was too busy listening to gangsta rap to give a fuck

All I remember is that it inspired a lot of glue sniffing amongst the kids at the time. But seriously, those days were something else. Metallica was blasting from every store or club just before Nirvana broke out. When you consider what bands became full mainstream then, I doubt something like that ever happens again.

You could tell that a dark age for rock music was upon us. Gone were nice melodies, in were ugly voices and unpleasant chord sequences. Grunge produced some good songs but proportionately it wasn't good.

Still better than mumble rap.

I find it odd how big they got and that I never hear them anywhere. Its like an entire generation is embarrased to have ever liked them.(same with Pantera)
I not gonna say I never liked any of their music but I never understood why they were so popular.

Michael Jackson sort of faded, the Quincy Jones production style was a little dated. Off The Wall album was maybe his best work sans 1-2 tracks on Thriller.

Nirvana just suddenly appeared is the way I remember it but I didn't think they were hugely different from bands like Janes Addiction from mid 80's.

I find it odd how big they got and that I never hear them anywhere. Its like an entire generation is embarrased to have ever liked them.(same with Pantera)
I not gonna say I never liked any of their music but I never understood why they were so popular.
shiiiieeeeeet

I listened to Great Southern Trendkill yesterday, no shame

More like Nirvana dethroning Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion 1&2 at the time. Thats when you know there was shift in Rock from Metal and hairbands to Grunge

First rap song to go to #1, ushering out the 80s kicking off the decade of hip-hop.

And yep, I was there. Grunge was huge among older teens 15-20 but pretty much everyone under 15 (12) loved rap. Case in point: My 6th grade Social Studies teacher was the person who introduced me to Pearl Jam. All my friends loved Ice, MC Hammer, House of Pain, Wu-Tang etc etc.

Last edited:
How was is it? Did you felt the cultural shift was coming? Did you think that 80s has finally died?
You could see it happening, the end of the 80s party Era to depressing heroin music. I stopped wearing flannel because of grunge.

Smells like Teen Spieit hit my senior year in HS. I honestly never liked grunge then ..... wasnt untill I got older in my 30s when I started to appreciate Nirvana, AIC, an sound garden. I missed the glam rock days when rock music was FUN instead of depressing as fuck. Only started to like it after I was married.

More like Nirvana dethroning Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion 1&2 at the time. Thats when you know there was shift in Rock from Metal and hairbands to Grunge
GnR really wasnt glam rock tho. I put GNR in same music category I would ACDC ......... but yeah Grunge killed that too.. basically it was only Grunge Alt and Metal for rock music.

Now Metsl n REAL alt rock has died off as well n we are left with POP alt and shitty wanna be metal.

you knew you had heard something new and genre changing when smells like teen spirit came out. good times indeed

Back