Sherdogers who were old enough to experienced when Nirvana dethroned MJ's Dangerous Album

Michael Jackson sort of faded, the Quincy Jones production style was a little dated. Off The Wall album was maybe his best work sans 1-2 tracks on Thriller.

Nirvana just suddenly appeared is the way I remember it but I didn't think they were hugely different from bands like Janes Addiction from mid 80's.

You’re right on both. Michael started sounding dated once New Jack Swing became a thing with Keith Sweats “I want her” around 1987

Michael kind of co-opted NJS a little with Dangerous, which kept him relevant to young kids

And I always found the that whole Nirvana/grunge thing was oversold because of the whole Seattle scene/Subpop. All those bands rode that hype train.

Faith No More’s Epic, License to Ill, And Justice for all were personally more mind blowing when they came out. Grunge was only ever punk/heavy metal in flannel.

Imagine a time that wasn’t ruled by one type of music. The was something for everyone, not like today when crappy trap rap and bad r&b pop is shoved down people’s throats. Do high school kids even have bands to listen to?
I watched the beginning of hip hop, breakdancing etc....I watched the beginning of glam. Music and MTV was awesome in the 80s. Imagine an awards show where Guns n Roses were drunk, Janet Jackson did Black Cat, Bon Jovi did Acoustic Wanted Dead or Alive. They were stars. Then the 90s rebelled against the glam and flash. Glam metal jumped the shark with Firehouse and Bands like Slaughter. Amazing music by Nirvana Pearl Jam, STP, AIC, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, Janes Addiction.....beat that shit down. A real vibe change, fashion change....music festivals were big, it was a great time. Then producers got involved and manufactured copycat shittier bands and it jumped the shark. That’s happening to rap now. I think real music is ripe for a comeback...people that can play instruments and sing.....even hip hop will evolve from this mumble tekashi lil this and that garbage.

How was is it? Did you felt the cultural shift was coming? Did you think that 80s has finally died?

Nirvana was catalyst.... Pearl Jam lagged a little after them and ended up being the biggest band in the scene up until Cobain killed himself then Kurt cemented himself in the 27 forever club and became the face of Gen X.

it was great that finally a good music trend happened: grunge

the bummer was that rap and hiphop blew up so big it kind of ruined music

Nirvana had nothing to do with MJ's downfall. He managed to do that all by himself with the weird plastic surgery horror face and the kid fucking. LIke others said Nirvana killed hair metal and those horrific stadium rockers like GnR and Metallica. Metallica were so broken by grunge they haven't been able to record a decent album since. All they've done is tour their old shit for the last 40 years.

First rap song to go to #1, ushering out the 80s kicking off the decade of hip-hop.

And yep, I was there. Grunge was huge among older teens 15-20 but pretty much everyone under 15 (12) loved rap. Case in point: My 6th grade Social Studies teacher was the person who introduced me to Pearl Jam. All my friends loved Ice, MC Hammer, House of Pain, Wu-Tang etc etc.

First Rapper to go #1. First Song was Blondie's "RAPture".

Dangerous? Mike peaked with Thriller. Everything after that was obligatory.

Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit phenomena was simply eerie. The first time I heard the song I felt as if I had heard it a million times, in a good way.
I remember folks I grew up with that made fun of me for listening to metal were now on the same wavelength as I was, in a good way.

Nirvana's Nevermind was definitely the end of the 80's hangover. Things were never the same. If you lived 1990 and early 1991 you understand what I mean. In hindsight the 90's just didn't round into form at all until Smells Like Teen Spirit.

What KISS did for Rock fans that loathed Prog Rock & Disco, Nirvana did for Pop & MTV fans that loathed Heavy Metal, in a good way.

Kurt never could get over how mainstream he was, he never had a chance. He stood out, before he died you just knew he was legendary. Michael Jackson was already a foregone conclusion, it had nothing to do with him

Last edited:
More like Nirvana dethroning Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion 1&2 at the time. Thats when you know there was shift in Rock from Metal and hairbands to Grunge

Great point. Use Your Illusion was riding high at the peak of Mt. Everest just weeks following the T2 music video, November Rain etc. etc. Next thing you know Axl Rose is stuck using all his cash to buy drugs instead of having mounds of free pills and coke waiting for them after gigs during the Appetite years

Back