Sherdog Strongman discussion thread- Strongman classic looms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaz actually tried his hand at, well, let's call it "early MMA" back in '89, and fought Chris Dolman. TKO via leg kicks if I recall correctly.

Whenever I see stuff like this all I can think about is the VHS box cover art to the movie I wasn't allowed to watch at the time, but so desperately wanted to take home every time we visited the store (pre-Blockbuster era). My brothers and I were Hulkamaniacs...
ZPOtm8DlxMzWD6ecwCoqA9IuUOc-CpxXQZXXxQDWsIozE6yxChG8WpjVujz8K68gzEG84AS1cjJyfd7eck1lmAYQaAfD67_2sTy3G35jvJ5SQ6-J24Z0oIRjnKNcD1s

Kaz was the sport's most dominant pioneer, perhaps more dominant than Z, but he was like Royce in the early days of MMA; choking out plumbers who flunked out as Olympic talents in legitimate grappling sports, guys with no grappling backgrounds at all and therefore no chance, or worst of all, D-level talents who devoted their lives to Bullshido.

Great commentary on this:

Otherwise, why not go back further? Guys like Paul Andersen were perhaps among the greatest American talents untapped in the far more sophisticated and competitive sport of Olympic lifting during his prime. He was probably a bit too short for the Oly SHW category, but I wonder what he could have achieved if American training was anywhere close to Soviet training at the time, and if he had devoted his life to it.

paul+wagon+wheels.jpg

Yeah Jon Pall Sigmarsson was a plumber. GTFO outta here with this trash.

Yeah Jon Pall Sigmarsson was a plumber. GTFO outta here with this trash.
Maybe you should watch the video in that post. I know guys get emotional about this stuff, because they're all superhuman to most of us, and many were heroes that inspired so many to follow, but those early decades were NOT tapping the world's top strength talent. It was still a fringe sport.

It really isn't all that different from MMA in terms of its evolution. Royce is one of the most influential athletes in history, by my own ranking the most influential in the world of the past 30 years, but prime Royce from then wouldn't have a prayer of winning a UFC belt today. Both the sport's sophistication and its talent pool have left guys like Royce behind.

Maybe you should watch the video in that post. I know guys get emotional about this stuff, because they're all superhuman to most of us, and many were heroes that inspired so many to follow, but those early decades were NOT tapping the world's top strength talent. It was still a fringe sport.

It really isn't all that different from MMA in terms of its evolution. Royce is one of the most influential athletes in history, by my own ranking the most influential in the world of the past 30 years, but prime Royce from then wouldn't have a prayer of winning a UFC belt today. Both the sport's sophistication and its talent pool have left guys like Royce behind.

No kidding dude. THey didn't have half the knowledge they have now back then. We all know that. You act like you are saying something we don't already know. Royce Gracie, yes.

If you read my other post instead of cherry picking so you can get your argument out which I'm noticing is a trend with you (you love to do this, or have a compulsion to do it) you would see that I said Kazmaier would be a top competitor nowadays if he started nowadays with all of todays superior knowledge of training and nutrition and supplements. My contention is that *genetically* Kazmaier is top tier. Even if a bit outsized by the biggest guys of these days such as Z.

No kidding dude. THey didn't have half the knowledge they have now back then. We all know that. You act like you are saying something we don't already know. Royce Gracie, yes.

If you read my other post instead of cherry picking so you can get your argument out which I'm noticing is a trend with you (you love to do this, or have a compulsion to do it) you would see that I said Kazmaier would be a top competitor nowadays if he started nowadays with all of todays superior knowledge of training and nutrition and supplements. My contention is that *genetically* Kazmaier is top tier. Even if a bit outsized by the biggest guys of these days such as Z.
Maybe. Probably not. Let's be real, it's not about the training...it's about the chemistry, talent pool, and size. Big fishes in small ponds and all that.

Just pointing out the obvious hipster nonsense. On some Oly lifting strength board somewhere there's some dude jocking a guy who won like 15x consecutive World's Fairs in overhead pressing back in the 19th century or some shit rather than just accepting the sport peaked in the 70's and 80's with the Soviet machine projecting so much of their energy into a Cold War proxy.

Maybe. Probably not. Let's be real, it's not about the training...it's about the chemistry, talent pool, and size. Big fishes in small ponds and all that.

Just pointing out the obvious hipster nonsense. On some Oly lifting strength board somewhere there's some dude jocking a guy who won like 15x consecutive World's Fairs in overhead pressing back in the 19th century or some shit rather than just accepting the sport peaked in the 70's and 80's with the Soviet machine projecting so much of their energy into a Cold War proxy.

Projecting. That you think WSM in the 80's was a "small pond" shows how little you know. Talk about obvious hipster nonsense.

Just wondering why you dont guys consider Pudz one of the greats? Was it because he relied more on speed and didnt have as much static strength?

Whenever I see stuff like this all I can think about is the VHS box cover art to the movie I wasn't allowed to watch at the time, but so desperately wanted to take home every time we visited the store (pre-Blockbuster era). My brothers and I were Hulkamaniacs...
ZPOtm8DlxMzWD6ecwCoqA9IuUOc-CpxXQZXXxQDWsIozE6yxChG8WpjVujz8K68gzEG84AS1cjJyfd7eck1lmAYQaAfD67_2sTy3G35jvJ5SQ6-J24Z0oIRjnKNcD1s
You missed out. That movie rocked as a kid.

Just wondering why you dont guys consider Pudz one of the greats? Was it because he relied more on speed and didnt have as much static strength?

For the most part yes. When he dominated it felt like it tested more of how athletic a Strongman was vs more of their power. At the same time the Arnold was using heavier weights and Big Z also was doing another rival Strongman comp and when he camp back to WSM we pretty much snatched to the title away easily from Mariuz. Pudz was a beast but a lot of Hardcores don't rate him at the top.

For the most part yes. When he dominated it felt like it tested more of how athletic a Strongman was vs more of their power. At the same time the Arnold was using heavier weights and Big Z also was doing another rival Strongman comp and when he camp back to WSM we pretty much snatched to the title away easily from Mariuz. Pudz was a beast but a lot of Hardcores don't rate him at the top.
That and during the Pudz era a lot of the top guys were not competing at wsm. i think it was IFSA a lot of them went with.

Aleksei Novikov is in the Lead

Shaw all the way down in 7th , Father Time is undefeated.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fitnessvolt.com/worlds-strongest-man-finals-day-three/amp/

@Phlog
Not surprised to be honest. Age catches up to everyone and Shaw hasn't looked that good since he got injured. His time as one of the top dogs is over sadly. He's still one of the GOATS though.

I'm very surprised Richardson only did 400 kg. He's pulled far more from the floor for reps. He must be really bad at elevated deadlifts. Also surprised by Novikov's 540 kg deadlift here. At the ASC he struggled with weights around 400 kg. Maybe less. It's crazy that the extra height means he can lift an extra 140+ kg.

Tom Stoltman won the keg toss. Shaw in 3rd.

Final standings after day 1:

1. O. Novikov- 25 pts
2. A. Bishop- 22 pts
2. JF. Caron- 22pts
4. T. Stoltman- 21.5pts
5. J. Pritchett- 19 pts
6. B. Shaw- 17.5 pts
7. K. Faires - 13 pts
8. Aivars S. - 12.5 pts
9. L. Richardson - 9.5pts

Status
Not open for further replies.