PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

There doesn't need to be for OEMs or really to sell a product. You're vastly overestimating the knowledge or time the average gaming consumer is willing to put into research before walking into the store, let alone once they are in there. Case in point, the most common GPU you'll see in the top 15 for best selling desktops is the RTX 3060, to no one's surprise. But half of those are RTX 3060 8GBs, which I think we'll both agree is a pretty garbage spec. Also keep in mind RTX 3050 was never made available to OEMs in major amounts, which lowers the floor for Nvidia and -60 class GPUs.

I agree than an RTX 4060 Super is unlikely in the next year or so. Having said that, Nvidia could probably convince OEMs to buy an RTX 4060 Super given AMD penetration in prebuilds (the majority of the gaming market for GPUs) has been really poor this generation. Even for OEM's/ SI's that traditionally use AMD GPUs.

I wasn't recommending that buy it, I was saying that an RTX 4070 Super puts heavy downward pressure on pricing for the RTX 4070, and in turn the RTX 4060. That happened over the past month and will likely persist given preparedness and current inventory varies a lot for OEMs and SIs.
I won't put it past any corporation these days to find a way to spit out numerous superfluous products. It's never beyond the realm of belief.

I won't put it past any corporation these days to find a way to spit out numerous superfluous products. It's never beyond the realm of belief.
I would 100% agree, shitty products and anti-consumer practices are a hallmark of overly concentrated industries, and Nvidia has about 85% of gaming placements in the US, and they gained share since the RTX rebrand. That's why I leave the technical advice to other people in this thread since my background is essentially helping companies sell more computers.

My PS3 power supply finally failed :(

I've had this thing for a long time, so many good downloaded games

Some of the rtx4000 refresh leaks from the last few days:

Start to look that the 4080 super, 4070 ti super and 4070 super all are actually coming out.

Some of the rtx4000 refresh leaks from the last few days:

Start to look that the 4080 super, 4070 ti super and 4070 super all are actually coming out.

A 4070 Ti Super?

as an early adopter of a 2080 and then a 4070ti, i really hate these god damn super refreshes.

next time i need an upgrade im'a hold off for a year after release just in case they pull this shit again

i bet the prices for these ones are gonna be mad stupid too.

as an early adopter of a 2080 and then a 4070ti, i really hate these god damn super refreshes.

next time i need an upgrade im'a hold off for a year after release just in case they pull this shit again

They should be the same, at least that's what OEMs have been told to expect.
A 4070 Ti Super?
RTX 4060 has not sold more than RTX 4070 or RTX 4060 Ti to date. It will only surpass those other two after December. In other words, there is room in the market for it an RTX 4070 and up refresh, unfortunately. Even RTX 2060 Super sold faster than the current 4060.

And shitty card or not, RTX 4070 Ti outsells 4080 by about 2 to 1.

first-time.gif

not really my first time getting dicked around by nvidia. bought a 970 as well only to find out about the 3.5 gb gimped vram shit soonafter.

dunno why i keep sticking with them. probably because i'm too paranoid about AMD's drivers and whenever i'm in the market for a new card i always find myself doubting whether or not my current PSU will be able to handle the new AMD ones, though up until the 7900xt and xtx models i havent really been interested in their lineup for just about as long as i can remember.

They should be the same, at least that's what OEMs have been told to expect.

the extra vram is a real kick in the dick to me. it hasnt been of an issue to me right now but i dunno how significant of a factor thats gonna be down the road. wouldve been a bit more content if they would have included that in their 4070ti's at launch, considering the price they were asking for just for a 70's model card that they tried to rebrand as an 80's model with just less vram which was total bullshit when you actually look at the system bus and the chipset. they had to walk that one back when they realised the market was well on to that bullshit they tried to pull.

the extra vram is a real kick in the dick to me. it hasnt been of an issue to me right now but i dunno how significant of a factor thats gonna be down the road. wouldve been a bit more content if they would have included that in their 4070ti's at launch, considering the price they were asking for just for a 70's model card that they tried to rebrand as an 80's model with just less vram which was total bullshit when you actually look at the system bus and the chipset. they had to walk that one back when they realised the market was well on to that bullshit they tried to pull.
Yeah, it's a tough break. My unhelpful advice here would be like anything else with gaming: there will always be bigger, better, newer, but that doesn't make your experience worse, and a 4070 Ti should be good for another few years at least at 1440.

From Nvidia's perspective, this is probably more a response to some softness at certain GPU tiers and essentially manufacturing efficiencies. Not that it excuses price hikes over the past few years. Like I mentioned, unfortunately gamers have reacted well to the 4070 Ti and some other not great cards. When I'm looking at actual sales volume (not just shipments) in the US, 4070 Ti has done really well. In one year on the prebuild market, it's sold only a few thousand less than RTX 3070 Ti did during its entire lifespan. Or for a current gen reference, it's sold more than 4080 and 4090 combined, and not that far behind 4070.

not really my first time getting dicked around by nvidia. bought a 970 as well only to find out about the 3.5 gb gimped vram shit soonafter.

dunno why i keep sticking with them. probably because i'm too paranoid about AMD's drivers and whenever i'm in the market for a new card i always find myself doubting whether or not my current PSU will be able to handle the new AMD ones, though up until the 7900xt and xtx models i havent really been interested in their lineup for just about as long as i can remember.
While I'm not usually one to say that AMD is about to pull out of the discrete gpu market, the RX 7000 family is doing really badly in sales, even when you account for AMD allocating its GPUs more for the DYI market and not to OEMs and system integrators. AMD prebuild sales for RX 7000 was in the high hundreds/low thousands of units in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD significantly curtails discrete GPUs in the next few years.

Yeah, it's a tough break. My unhelpful advice here would be like anything else with gaming: there will always be bigger, better, newer, but that doesn't make your experience worse, and a 4070 Ti should be good for another few years at least at 1440.

From Nvidia's perspective, this is probably more a response to some softness at certain GPU tiers and essentially manufacturing efficiencies. Not that it excuses price hikes over the past few years. Like I mentioned, unfortunately gamers have reacted well to the 4070 Ti and some other not great cards. When I'm looking at actual sales volume (not just shipments) in the US, 4070 Ti has done really well. In one year on the prebuild market, it's sold only a few thousand less than RTX 3070 Ti did during its entire lifespan. Or for a current gen reference, it's sold more than 4080 and 4090 combined, and not that far behind 4070.

yeah the 4070ti has been treating me great the last year and was a worthy upgrade over the 2080 most definately. i'll get some good years out of it i'd expect.

Last edited:
While I'm not usually one to say that AMD is about to pull out of the discrete gpu market, the RX 7000 family is doing really badly in sales, even when you account for AMD allocating its GPUs more for the DYI market and not to OEMs and system integrators. AMD prebuild sales for RX 7000 was in the high hundreds/low thousands of units in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD significantly curtails discrete GPUs in the next few years.

They seem to focused more on AI at the moment.

They seem to focused more on AI at the moment.

They are, but so is Nvidia. AMD losing market share to Nvidia is unrelated to the AI boom and comes down more to pricing, MDF, and really missing the RTX/ raytracing boom unfortunately. For prebuilds (and by extension GPUs) you have to get some key spots in the US retail landscape. And AMD has really lost ground there.

So my PC from 2018 is finally reaching its limits. My power supply is actually from way, way earlier as I bought big way back in the day and just recycled it forever. But I would like to do some upgrades to be a cheap ass for a few years at least.

Current rig: RTX 2070, GIGABYTEZ30P motherboard, 32 gigs ram, and an i7 8700.

Can I just upgrade the GPU, or am I now dedicated to scrapping it all to do a full rebuild?

So my PC from 2018 is finally reaching its limits. My power supply is actually from way, way earlier as I bought big way back in the day and just recycled it forever. But I would like to do some upgrades to be a cheap ass for a few years at least.

Current rig: RTX 2070, GIGABYTEZ30P motherboard, 32 gigs ram, and an i7 8700.

Can I just upgrade the GPU, or am I now dedicated to scrapping it all to do a full rebuild?
I'm unclear, do you intend to finally replace the PSU?

You can replace only the GPU if the GPU is what is limiting you in the games you're playing where you desire more FPS. If you need to replace the CPU you're going to essentially build a whole new PC because you'll need a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM as it doesn't make sense to upgrade the i7-8700.

What games are giving you issues?

No reason to upgrade the PSU, ive been running a solid 950 (I went all in early and ate the power bill) for years. I mostly want to bridge from then till the future at the moment, and I think I can semi-upgrade my graphics card to keep going till I have to do a full rebuild based on my MOBO. But I may be reaching even my limts now, wanting to run 2077 full speed

I must say, my frustration with laptop manufacturers especially microsoft is palpable. LIke their price configurators are outright bizarre and I guess adjust to reflect to their stock on hand or something. Like serious, sometimes lesser spec'd machines are more expensive than higher specs. Sometimes something as innocuous as wanting 16 GB of RAM instead of 8 GB results in like a $800 price increase. It's flat out absurd.

No reason to upgrade the PSU, ive been running a solid 950 (I went all in early and ate the power bill) for years. I mostly want to bridge from then till the future at the moment, and I think I can semi-upgrade my graphics card to keep going till I have to do a full rebuild based on my MOBO. But I may be reaching even my limts now, wanting to run 2077 full speed
Unfortunately, for Cyberpunk, it's probably the CPU:
12. Is Cyberpunk 2077 CPU or GPU bound?
This game is incredibly CPU bound, and it plays a huge role in why most people see poor results with a good GPU.
Substantiating this I've timestamped the following video. It's very useful. As you can see, with a 9600K and a 1070, the GPU is limiting the system. However, once he pops in a 4070 Ti, even the mighty 5600X is limiting the system. Then, once he slots in the 7800X3D, which is the supreme gaming CPU right now, you can see there isn't a substantial difference between the best-in-the-world RTX 4090 and the RTX 3060. The 3060 can run his settings at above 600fps. Overall, the 3060 performs roughly the same as your 2070.

So it's unfortunate because popping in a simple GPU upgrade, which would probably improve your performance in a lot of games, isn't going to work for 2077. You need a new CPU which you means you need a whole new set of guts and a new Windows installation. If you're an experienced builder, and you have a Windows Pro license, or sail the high seas, then you only need to upgrade those three components. Because you could transplant your case, PSU, GPU, and drives in addition to the OS. If you have an aftermarket CPU cooler, you could also transplant that, and even if you have no leftover thermal paste lying around, that's a cheap purchase. You might have to request free mounting brackets from AMD if you go with that, or depending on the cooler, you might have to get some new brackets for the LGA 1700 socket upgrade if you stay with Intel.

Back