• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Don’t get your hopes up on the Newegg shuffle. I read somewhere that it’s like a .01% chance you’ll get picked. :/
The really depressing thing is that those odds are likely better than trying to race against the bots every time there's a drop

I'm as in the dark as you and everyone else as far as what the upcoming months hold pertaining to GPU buying opportunities. If you're asking me if I think there will suddenly be easily procurable RTX 3080's or 3070's on the market in the next several months for $500-$800 as intended, I definitely do NOT think that will be the case.

But that's just a guess. Dafuq if I have any clue when the next cryptocrash looms.

And if you did you'd make enough money to retire you and your immediate descendants....

So there's actually some 3070 Tis and 3080 Tis on Newegg in stock. You can actually put it in your cart. Cheapest is like 1310 though.

I've had a Surface Book for a couple of years that has done okay, but I've never really like the mechanism for attaching the keyboard; and some of the seals/glue have started to wear off. It also only had 8 gigs of RAM and would occasionally hang if I had too many tabs open, was doing a screen recording, and using One Note in conjunction with a graphing utility (typically an emulator). I never bothered to confirm the RAM was getting all used up, but I figured I'd get a Surface Pro with 16 gigs anyway.

I'm pretty happy with it, but the best part about this thing is incidental. One of the things that bothered me about the first Surface Book was that recording your screen with the built in mic would result in audio that is majorly distorted by fan noise. The Surface Pro 7 has an i5 model with 16 gigs of RAM that is passively cooled. I feel like a dolt for not having known/realized this, but I just did a test run of my highest CPU load scenario while recording and the maximum temp over about 30 minutes was 70C and for the most part was around 55C.

Plus, no fan noise. The CPU (i5 1035g4) clocks as low as 1.01 GHz and goes as high as basically 3.7. Obviously it's not going to sustain that for long, but for my particular use case this is excellent. I did do a Geekbench run and it hit 90C, which is obviously way too hot for comfort, but I'm never going to be doing anything more intense with it than I've already described. I hope this is the new normal.

Edit: Apparently MS had models with passive cooling all the way back in 2017. I don't know how I missed that, or maybe I just forgot. I'm glad that's a feature they seem intent on keeping.

Last edited:
It's not going to get better:
Intel CEO Says Chip Shortage Will Persist for 'Couple of Years'

As this outlet notes, only 12% of manufacturing is done in the USA today-- down from 37% 25 years ago. This is why Intel's new Arizona facility is so critical not just for American jobs, but to securing a supply chain for American consumers.

Intel announced they will be working with Apple an TSMC on advanced 3nm chip production. That's not a good sign for the short term chip production.

Other is thanks to China bitcoin mining is easier to make money. Here we go again just when things seemed returning to normal.

• More than 54% of bitcoin's hashrate, which is the collective computing power of miners worldwide, has dropped off the network since its market peak in May.
  • The bitcoin code has re-calibrated to make it 28% less difficult to mine.
  • Miners who are still plugged into the network stand to make greater profits while most of the network's miners remains offline.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...-drops-after-hashrate-collapse-in-china-.html

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Te...become-first-to-adopt-TSMC-s-latest-chip-tech

"
TAIPEI -- Apple and Intel have emerged as the first adopters of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.'s next-generation chip production technology ahead of its deployment as early as next year, Nikkei Asia has learned.

The development shows how TSMC continues to be vital to U.S. companies' chip ambitions, even as Washington attempts to bring more semiconductor production to American soil.

Apple and Intel are testing their chip designs with TSMC's 3-nanometer production technology, according to several sources briefed on the matter, with commercial output of such chips expected to start in the second half of next year."

Last edited:
I got it. I finally got it.

Got the Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC. Thank you to everyone who helped me. I ended up getting an MSI Optix Mag27CQ monitor, I guess I never realized how small my monitors were until I put this thing on my desk.

So then the Aorus B550 Pro AC mobo, the DDR4 4000 memory, the iCUE 5000X Tower, and the Ryzen 7 5800X are on their way from Newegg.
The Samsung 1TB, iCUE H150i Elite Capellix and the Corsair 1000w PSU are from Best Buy.

I was considering bumping up the CPU cooler to the Kraken model with the LCD on it because of how cool it looks but with this setup both the case and cooler RBG are controlled through the iCUE software which seems no fuss to me.

The GPU should arrive between August 1 - 10.

I got it. I finally got it.

Got the Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC. Thank you to everyone who helped me. I ended up getting an MSI Optix Mag27CQ monitor, I guess I never realized how small my monitors were until I put this thing on my desk.

So then the Aorus B550 Pro AC mobo, the DDR4 4000 memory, the iCUE 5000X Tower, and the Ryzen 7 5800X are on their way from Newegg.
The Samsung 1TB, iCUE H150i Elite Capellix and the Corsair 1000w PSU are from Best Buy.

I was considering bumping up the CPU cooler to the Kraken model with the LCD on it because of how cool it looks but with this setup both the case and cooler RBG are controlled through the iCUE software which seems no fuss to me.

The GPU should arrive between August 1 - 10.
You might have the rig with the biggest dick on Sherdog.

In general liquid cpu cooling is more unreliable than air cooling devices in the same price range due to how much more unreliable a water pump is than a fan at the same price range. It also adds a massive amount of risk and the only people who see any benefit from it are people who want to extreme overlock. 2 years is right on the mark for most water pumps to fail btw.
Completely agree.

In general liquid cpu cooling is more unreliable than air cooling devices in the same price range due to how much more unreliable a water pump is than a fan at the same price range. It also adds a massive amount of risk and the only people who see any benefit from it are people who want to extreme overlock. 2 years is right on the mark for most water pumps to fail btw.
Well crap I just got a Corsair iCUE H150 Elite. Here's hoping it lasts.

Well crap I just got a Corsair iCUE H150 Elite. Here's hoping it lasts.
Don't listen to that. That perspective is half a decade out of date.

The cooler you bought has a 5-year warranty.

The difference in temps between a liquid cooler of the caliber you bought and even the best air coolers on the market is simply staggering. If you had bought a Zen 2 cooler with an X570 motherboard, with your budget, I would have recommended keeping the stock Wraith Prism, or if you really insisted on an upgrade, I would have steered you towards the finest downdraft air coolers on the market (ex. be quiet! Dark Rock TF, Noctua NH-C14S). But the 5800X will run quite hot, just like the 10th/11th gen Intels, so you will benefit greatly from the 360mm AIO. We're talking about 20C+ differences under stress tests.

I don't give a damn what the reviews online say, I know them better than anyone, they're running their comps in a meat freezer for air coolers to do as well as they do, just ask the guys on here who have actually owned both.

The difference in temps between a liquid cooler of the caliber you bought and even the best air coolers on the market is simply staggering. If you had bought a Zen 2 cooler with an X570 motherboard, with your budget, I would have recommended keep the stock Wraith Prism, or if you really insisted on an upgrade, I would have steered you towards the finest downdraft air coolers on the market (ex. be quiet! Dark Rock TF, Noctua NH-C14S). But the 5800X will run quite hot, just like the 10th/11th gen Intels, so you will benefit greatly from the 360mm AIO. We're talking about 20C+ differences under stress tests.

I don't give a damn what the reviews online say, I know them better than anyone, they're running their comps in a meat freezer for air coolers to do as well as they do, just ask the guys on here who have actually owned both.
I think we're up to like 20 imported german beers I owe you now

Guys-- emergency. I just won the Newegg shuffle, the Aorus Xtreme RTX 3080 Ti. Should I grab it and try to sell the Gaming OC 3080 Ti that is headed here?

I need to decide in two hours. Does anyone want to buy a 3080 Ti?
@Madmick

Guys-- emergency. I just won the Newegg shuffle, the Aorus Xtreme RTX 3080 Ti. Should I grab it and try to sell the Gaming OC 3080 Ti that is headed here?

@Madmick

u getting it at MSRP? fuck yeah... turn around and sell that bitch for a profit.

@Madmick
The difference between these two cards is principally the Boost Clock.
  • 1665 MHz = Reference 3080 Ti
  • 1710 MHz = Gaming OC
  • 1830 MHz = Aorus Xtreme
That's a respectable difference. Since everything else is the same this should mean a roughly linear improvement to performance. It should be close to a +7% increase. So the Xtreme is the more powerful card at stock.

Just be aware you'll likely be able to overclock the OC model, using MSI Afterburner, to around that same Boost clock. That's not a terrible aggressive overclock. The drawback is this technically violates your warranty, but AFAIK, they don't have governor firmware to detect if you've done this. The real concerns are to how it affects fan noise because of the increase heat output, and the long-term temps, because it's ideal to keep those down for a more favorable hardware longevity.

As you can see from Techpowerup, who gives realistically obtainable overclocks on hardware setups that everyday gamers use, even the single blower-fan reference 3080 Ti was stable at a Boost Clock of 1894 MHz:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-founders-edition/36.html

Here is a review of the Gigabyte OC model. In this chart, on the left, you see performance for reference 3080 Ti. In the middle, you see the Gigabyte Gaming OC as it comes out of the box. On the right, you see its performance with a rather extreme overclock. Even if that extreme overclock the typical fps gain is rather modest, as you can see.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_rtx_3080_ti_gaming_oc_review,31.html
index.php

The people who would really care, I suppose, are the extreme overclockers. They're the ones who could push the Aorus Xtreme higher because of its superior power limit (450W).

Otherwise, the Aorus doesn't appear to have an incredible reputation for low noise levels without sacrificing performance (something for which the Asus ROG Strix cards are known). I think you'd be just as happy with the OC. I'm not sure finding a buyer for the OC is worth the bother, but you could make some money on the sale that pays for the difference of having the superior card, so...devil on the right shoulder, it's worth considering.

If I can OC the uh... OC, that goes a long way

And... one of the catches with the Xtreme is I have to buy a mobo with it so the price goes up to $1800.00+.

I think I'll play it safe--

Thank you, both @SaiWa @Madmick

If I can OC the uh... OC, that goes a long way

And... one of the catches with the Xtreme is I have to buy a mobo with it so the price goes up to $1800.00+.

I think I'll play it safe--

Thank you, both @SaiWa @Madmick

I happen to have an EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra gaming

IMO there are 2 things to consider-

1. Overclocking these cards can actually hurt the overall performance. I ran Timespy a few days ago (to test if my new cooler was up to snuff, while I was at it I messed with some OC settings) and I noticed that I actually got higher graphics scores overclocking my card by 41 MHZ vs overclocking by 45 or 50 Mhz. I can get a stable overclock over 80+ but at that point I start to see artifacts in games, and realistically the change in FPS at 4k is negligible.

2. The Ti version will be so powerful you will not actually see a need to overclock anyways.

The difference in temps between a liquid cooler of the caliber you bought and even the best air coolers on the market is simply staggering. If you had bought a Zen 2 cooler with an X570 motherboard, with your budget, I would have recommended keeping the stock Wraith Prism, or if you really insisted on an upgrade, I would have steered you towards the finest downdraft air coolers on the market (ex. be quiet! Dark Rock TF, Noctua NH-C14S). But the 5800X will run quite hot, just like the 10th/11th gen Intels, so you will benefit greatly from the 360mm AIO. We're talking about 20C+ differences under stress tests.

Cannot wait for the stupid meme reply. If your not cranking up your clock regular air cooling simplifies an reduces points of failure.

Cannot wait for the stupid meme reply.

What dumb point am I expected to refute from yet another video I'm 99% confident you just spam-linked without ever watching yourself?

Back