• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

I'm a noob when it comes to PCs. Gf needs a new pc to work handling health care claims from home office. She has a laptop that I bought her about 3 years ago but it's too slow even though it's I7.

I assume that I can get a much better bang for my buck performance wise with a pc over another laptop.

This is what she said she needs:
I7 or better
Dealing with lots of cloudbased data
Need a good processor
Large processing power for huge spreadsheets
Lot of memory
Won't be used for gaming.. imagine the main difference will be graphics card

Any help is appreciated.

@jefferz @Madmick

Last edited:

Free shipping:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/OVERPOWE...40902618423888931256&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

ca422eed-7863-45ca-a0c6-5751073a8be7_1.91663a1a81b3b39eb4a9ec9b1ebd635d.jpeg

So Overpowered got clobbered last year by the gaming press on quality concerns, and that's a fine condemnation for the AIO market, who in fairness is the intended target for this product, but for capable builders who fancy cleverly applying their skills to score value, this isn't a price that should be overlooked. This is the DTW2. The normal retail is $1899 as PC Gamer notes-- albeit for the 1080 Ti version:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/368847/save-800-on-this-walmart-overpowered-gaming-desktop

Here is a review of the DTW3 by PC Gamer which is a virtually identical unit that ultimately came down to a low of $1499 after the bad press before running out of stock:
https://www.pcgamer.com/walmart-overpowered-dtw3-gaming-desktop-review/

I put together a build that is about about as close to identical as possible, and it's $1268 before taxes in comparison to the $899 above; although it should be mentioned everyone will pay full sales tax on a Wal-Mart purchase while you are more likely to dodge a portion of taxes on the tender with this custom build. I also included a legit Windows 10 (apples-to-apples):
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yRDMLJ
Used a Vega 64 for the cheapest equivalent GPU, but NVIDIA gamers who want equal power will have to spend $60 more for the cheapest RTX 2070 (an upgrade, at least) if there are concerns like G-Sync, or simply a serious preference for NVIDIA drivers.

I don't mind that reviewers highlighted some of the cheap parts, but careful observers will notice, for example, that as hard as he tried the most meaningful performance deficit Linus could find for the unit he reviewed was 15ms vs. 9ms average frametime rendering for the in-game benchmark on Tomb Raider. The temps didn't throttle performance during his hardiest synthetic benchmarks. Nevertheless, my gripe is that you go to Wal-Mart, read all the negative reviews, and realize that it's almost certainly a bunch of neophytes regurgitating dogma who likely don't own the unit, and are trolling the brand. It's like a copy/paste job off an assembly line. Feels good. Feels good to know so much because of a 10-minute YouTube video. I think Wal-Mart might need to add a "verified purchase" to their review section.

Fortunately, Reddit has plenty of vets who can recognize real value, and that's why this trended #1 on the sales sub this morning. The irony to me is that I would presume AIO buyers who just want to plug and play don't watch gaming press reviews. First, if concerns for hardware longevity are the problem, then ride til you die inside the 2-year warranty window. Second, if looking beyond that window, or still concerned about temps and throttling, builders who do watch the gaming press videos ought to notice there is a lot of budget headroom there. Gut the parts. Throw the Case, PSU, and CPU Cooler in the garbage if you don't want to Craigslist them. Buy superior replacement parts. You'll still come out hundreds ahead, and you'll also have an interesting transplant project on your hands.

Definitely looking a little long in the tooth with Ryzen 3000 so near, but at that price it's worth a look at least.

Would this work

I'm a noob when it comes to PCs. Gf needs a new pc to work handling health care claims from home office. She has a laptop that I bought her about 3 years ago but it's too slow even though it's I7.

I assume that I can get a much better bang for my buck performance wise with a pc over another laptop.

This is what she said she needs:
I7 or better
Dealing with lots of cloudbased data
Need a good processor
Large processing power for huge spreadsheets
Lot of memory
Won't be used for gaming

Any help is appreciated.

@jefferz @Madmick
The thing here is that the single most expensive component in most gaming builds is the GPU (i.e. video card), and without knowing more, I would assume it's unlikely her tasks can make use of the GPU. Only a very small number of applications outside of gaming can make use of the monstrous parallel processing power of GPUs. Even for Adobe Premiere comps that do use this "GPU acceleration", my research has indicated there is not a massive benefit past the entry level of gaming or production GPUs (ex. GTX 1050).

So what she wants is the best possible CPU, lots of fast RAM, preferably a large NVMe-class SSD (which will be expensive), and a really strong WiFi card (unless she intends to plug ethernet directly into the wall). More obscurely, also preferably a motherboard that supports quad channel memory (if the CPU does), and the most I/O lanes possible.

Laptop CPUs don't trail that badly anymore, at stock, but you do get a significantly better bang-for-your buck and higher ceiling with desktop, still. If shopping around for laptops your choice is really simple. Only consider a laptop with one of the following five processors in it, and only those with 16GB+ of RAM (32GB would be better). The first three are extremely rare, and tend to come in laptops that are $2K+. The last two are the most common, and often found in gaming laptops. Laptops that carry these processors tend to have poor battery life in order to feed CPUs this powerful:
  1. i9-9980HK
  2. i9-9980H
  3. i9-8950HK
  4. i7-9750H
  5. i7-8750H
Would this work
Yeah, the Wal-Mart Overpowered units I highlighted in the other thread could work, but I don't think you need that much GPU. The i7-8700 is a very strong CPU, but not insanely powerful.

An example build that is far more powerful for her specific purpose is below. It doesn't include a keyboard, mouse, or monitor because I'm also not sure if she needs those). If she does, since she's not a gamer, I would suggest a Microsoft or Logitech wireless combo for the KB+M. Those are around $25-$30. I count tax since I know your state. I did include Windows. These are variants on the same build. The only difference is the CPU, CPU Cooler, and Motherboard. The AMD is more economical, and includes WiFi with the motherboard. I didn't add a WiFi card for the Intel since I assume with a desktop it can be plugged into the ethernet.

Intel variant ($1098):
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3y3rdX
AMD variant ($896)*:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mG6CGG
*Oh yeah, this build needs a graphics card. I slipped my mind that AMD doesn't come with onboard graphics. A GTX 1650 would add $150.

Meh, nvm, I didn't do that well. I think the Overpowered is a better value and way less hassle. Besides, if it turns out she needs even more power, you could swipe that for yourself, and build her a new monster with a proper 16+ core threadripper, or the upcoming R9-3950X.

Last edited:
The thing here is that the single most expensive component in most gaming builds is the GPU (i.e. video card), and without knowing more, I would assume it's unlikely her tasks can make use of the GPU. Only a very small number of applications outside of gaming can make use of the monstrous parallel processing power of GPUs. Even for Adobe Premiere comps that do use this "GPU acceleration", my research has indicated there is not a massive benefit past the entry level of gaming or production GPUs (ex. GTX 1050).

So what she wants is the best possible CPU, lots of fast RAM, preferably a large NVMe-class SSD (which will be expensive), and a really strong WiFi card (unless she intends to plug ethernet directly into the wall). More obscurely, also preferably a motherboard that supports quad channel memory (if the CPU does), and the most I/O lanes possible.

Laptop CPUs don't trail that badly anymore, at stock, but you do get a significantly better bang-for-your buck and higher ceiling with desktop, still. If shopping around for laptops your choice is really simple. Only consider a laptop with one of the following five processors in it, and only those with 16GB+ of RAM (32GB would be better). The first three are extremely rare, and tend to come in laptops that are $2K+. The last two are the most common, and often found in gaming laptops. Laptops that carry these processors tend to have poor battery life in order to feed CPUs this powerful:
  1. i9-9980HK
  2. i9-9980H
  3. i9-8950HK
  4. i7-9750H
  5. i7-8750H

Yeah, the Wal-Mart Overpowered units I highlighted in the other thread could work, but I don't think you need that much GPU. The i7-8700 is a very strong CPU, but not insanely powerful.

An example build that is far more powerful for her specific purpose is below. It doesn't include a keyboard, mouse, or monitor because I'm also not sure if she needs those). If she does, since she's not a gamer, I would suggest a Microsoft or Logitech wireless combo for the KB+M. Those are around $25-$30. I count tax since I know your state. I did include Windows. These are variants on the same build. The only difference is the CPU, CPU Cooler, and Motherboard. The AMD is more economical, and includes WiFi with the motherboard. I didn't add a WiFi card for the Intel since I assume with a desktop it can be plugged into the ethernet.

Intel variant ($1098):
AMD variant ($896):

Meh, nvm, I didn't do that well. I think the Overpowered is a better value and way less hassle. Besides, if it turns out she needs even more power, you could swipe that for yourself, and build her a new monster with a proper 16+ core threadripper, or the upcoming R9-3950X.
I just ordered the overpowered. I'm thinking I probably need to find a professional to reassemble the pc. I don't trust a random walfart employee to do a proper build.

Someone said the case sucks. Please confirm or deny.

I just ordered the overpowered. I'm thinking I probably need to find a professional to reassemble the pc. I don't trust a random walfart employee to do a proper build.

wtf

1. i9-9980HK
  2. i9-9980H
  3. i9-8950HK
  4. i7-9750H
  5. i7-8750H

Intel variant ($1098):
AMD variant ($896):

Also, will the overpowered run Crisis on ultra at high frames? I've heard so much about the game for what feels like over a decade.. want to try it maxed out in all its glory

It doesn't have USB 3.0 front ports, and it doesn't breathe the best, but without gaming loads, and without a K processor, I'd estimate it's unlikely you'll run into any thermal problems.

Reviewers are unreliable, and get carried away with groupthink brownie points by saying it "sucks". It comes with 4x120mm fans by default.

It doesn't have USB 3.0 front ports, and it doesn't breathe the best, but without gaming loads, and without a K processor, I'd estimate it's unlikely you'll run into any thermal problems.

Reviewers are unreliable, and get carried away with groupthink brownie points by saying it "sucks". It comes with 4x120mm fans by default.
Serious, will it run crisis on ultra max settings? My new monitor is 1080p

Serious, will it run crisis on ultra max settings? My new monitor is 1080p
NASA supercomputers still can’t run Crysis Dog

On a serious note, for those workloads a td or a Xeon professor might be the thing.
Get a quadrro styled graphics card and use the cpu virtulizarion if need be.

Not all quadro’s are expensive.

On a serious note, for those workloads a td or a Xeon professor might be the thing.

I'm not going to do any upgrades unless it's necessary to handle her work. I was just curious if a 2019 pc at that price point would handle it because crisis has been a performance benchmark for so long.

Last edited:

I thought this was a good graphics card. What is cpu vitrulizarion?

I thought this was a good graphics card. What is cpu vitrulizarion?
There are differences between “good “ graphics cards, and what graphics cards are good at.

The card you have is a good card, for graphics and gaming.

Quadro’s are “work” graphics cards and a good for graphics, complex modeling like cad etc

Quadro’s have different driver packages available than GTX cards even though they are both in invidia.

There are drivers that are quadro only, that aren’t out for gtx that will offload cpu workload to the graphics card(yes i know that’s what all gpu’s do basically, but only certain workloads) the quadro has the ability to take all types of workloads and off load more work from a cpu than a gtx can. (The pro grade amd’s do too)

If the stuff she’s doing is ko’ing her cpu, but very little gpu workload, putting in a quadro and enabling that feature might be the ticket in the new build

I'm thinking of upgrading my rig or possibly just getting a new one. What do you guys think of the Nvidia RTX 2070? Worth it or should I be looking at some other card?

nvidia-rtx-2070-south-africa-980px-v1.jpg

I'm thinking of upgrading my rig or possibly just getting a new one. What do you guys think of the Nvidia RTX 2070? Worth it or should I be looking at some other card?

nvidia-rtx-2070-south-africa-980px-v1.jpg

it's good for what it is. the new amd GPUs (ie: rx 5700) are supposed to be a little bit better for the money, but there are going to be intangibles (rdna, ray tracing, etc) and it would mostly depend on you/what you're doing/the exact price/etc.

it's good for what it is. the new amd GPUs (ie: rx 5700) are supposed to be a little bit better for the money, but there are going to be intangibles (rdna, ray tracing, etc) and it would mostly depend on you/what you're doing/the exact price/etc.

I do a lot of gaming, I also have a Vive which pushes my current 1070 to the limit which is why I was looking at video cards.

I do a lot of gaming, I also have a Vive which pushes my current 1070 to the limit which is why I was looking at video cards.

the rtx 2070 should be a little better than the 1070. but if the 1070 struggles enough to warrant this, you might want something better than a 2070.

lmao don't upsale ray tracing now, do you even linustechtips or jayztwocentz
<Dylan>

Back