PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Every Ryzen chip, outside of the APU's, can do 3.7ghz without a voltage change even on crap boards. There's a starting point for you.
And it's as simple as changing the multiplier in bios right??

And it's as simple as changing the multiplier in bios right??
Set the CPU Clock Ratio to 37.00, you'll have to start changing CPU Vcore voltage if you want to go over that. If you've never done it before, make sure to watch a couple of videos and follow along.

turned my newegg spite into a shopping spree at microcenter.

ryzen 7 2700x (came with the wraith prism)
2x8 3200 ram
cooler master annoying case with bad cable management making me need to buy an extension cable for my 8-pin cpu power
gtx 1070 founder's edition
ASROCK MB-B450 GAMING K4 ATX
2 tb seagate hdd (i have a ssd)
some weird odds and ends i kinda needed for a long time but never remembered to buy (ie: 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable [cat killed my speaker cable, been jury rigged since] )

i even bought some aimpoint batteries.

I love living near a microcenter. Granted it's about 30 mins to the closest one (Yonkers) but still

turned my newegg spite into a shopping spree at microcenter.

ryzen 7 2700x (came with the wraith prism)
2x8 3200 ram
cooler master annoying case with bad cable management making me need to buy an extension cable for my 8-pin cpu power
gtx 1070 founder's edition
ASROCK MB-B450 GAMING K4 ATX
2 tb seagate hdd (i have a ssd)

all in all, cost the same as the newegg comp (better gpu/cpu/hdd/ram, but no windows and no SSD (didn't need, anyway). then again, the newegg deal had a shady windows setup, anyway... the case seems to be a push, while opposite [cooler master masterbox lite 5 will be great for keeping dust out... but i'm guessing it has terrible airflow. might need to rig something up.)

i still need to buy a win10 key. any recommendations for a cheapish ($25-50?) greyware that seems to be legit?

Last edited:
all in all, cost the same as the newegg comp (better gpu/cpu/hdd/ram, but no windows and no SSD (didn't need, anyway). then again, the newegg deal had a shady windows setup, anyway... the case seems to be a push, while opposite [cooler master masterbox lite 5 will be great for keeping dust out... but i'm guessing it has terrible airflow. might need to rig something up.)

i still need to buy a win10 key. any recommendations for a cheapish ($25-50?) greyware that seems to be legit?

OEM Windows licenses are tied to the motherboard. That's why you didn't get a Windows key with the prebuilt. If you buy a key from a grey market site, it will be tied to your motherboard as well.
I've use SCDKeys and Kinguin without issues.

OEM Windows licenses are tied to the motherboard. That's why you didn't get a Windows key with the prebuilt. If you buy a key from a grey market site, it will be tied to your motherboard as well.
There is a way now with 10 to move a key to a new board.

Linus talked about it on a vid a while back, when I get a new board I’ll refind the video and try it.

There is a way now with 10 to move a key to a new board.

Linus talked about it on a vid a while back, when I get a new board I’ll refind the video and try it.
He was probably talking about a "Pro" license. This is the difference between "Pro" and "Home". Home is tied to a single machine, and can't be moved. "Pro" is tied to a single machine, but is allowed to be transferred.

That was the primary distinction when they launched Win10.

i know, but my concern was no evidence of it being legit. it's one thing if i roll the dice with greyware, myself. it's another when i know the price of windows is taken into account and i get zero proof of it (not even an invoice/packing slip, lolz).

thanks. i know kinguin's a big one, but i never used any, myself.

He was probably talking about a "Pro" license. This is the difference between "Pro" and "Home". Home is tied to a single machine, and can't be moved. "Pro" is tied to a single machine, but is allowed to be transferred.

That was the primary distinction when they launched Win10.
I think I remeber him talking about both.

Need to rewatch but here it is.

I think I remeber him talking about both.

Need to rewatch but here it is.

I recall that vid being an epic failure as far as his "rationalizations" went. He pirates Windows because he's building a billion test machines. Nobody cares.

I recall that vid being an epic failure as far as his "rationalizations" went. He pirates Windows because he's building a billion test machines. Nobody cares.

As I recall, he goes into it more than that and how you can move windows around due to hardware recognition and ways to do it etc, and how when moving too many components it can shut off and need to be re recognized, as I remeber.

Maybe I’ll watch it a little later again, had planned on it when I swap my mobo out to keep my license , regardless of the feels from
The vid itself there is good info in it.

As I recall, he goes into it more than that and how you can move windows around due to hardware recognition and ways to do it etc, and how when moving too many components it can shut off and need to be re recognized, as I remeber.

Maybe I’ll watch it a little later again, had planned on it when I swap my mobo out to keep my license , regardless of the feels from
The vid itself there is good info in it.
And kept failing to produce evidence of his claims on his machines in the vid. Could have been a Murphy's Law moment, but I remember him saying, "If this, then this..." then it wouldn't. He got frustrated and said, "Of course when we're taping it doesn't do it."

He was running damage control, and he botched it. Looks like it worked out for him, anyway, judging by the like/dislike ratio on the YT video, but IMO, that's probably because 90% of his audience pirates Windows, too. C'mon. These are techies. I say this with no judgment. That would make me a hypocrite.

i know i talked a lot of shit on LEDs, but the amd prism is purdy.

Ordered all my parts today. Build in couple days with amazon prime free trial. Can't wait.

Having a midlife crisis (at 27) what pointless shit can I buy for my computer to flex on people online?

Having a midlife crisis (at 27) what pointless shit can I buy for my computer to flex on people online?
Build a duel Xoen or Threadripper computer with 4 titans or 2080ti’s and FLEX.

He was running damage control, and he botched it.

Linus doesnt activate it for the product key has a maximum amount of hardware changes before you'll need to contact Microsoft for a product key refresh. An since theyre constantly swapping out motherboards/CPU's that threshold would be met quickly.

Believe its called Exchange(its been 10 years since ive used it). That yearly tiered subscription one pays to Microsoft that gives the payer access with limited product keys to every Microsoft application released. This is where Linus and his company downloaded the windows install iso.

FYI, my Windows 10 64bit product key is from; my old job Microsoft Exchange account, Windows 7 64bit iso downloaded from there, product key from our lead programmer who used to work for Microsoft, then contacted a friend still working for Microsoft to part ways with his limited amount of Windows OS product keys.

Last edited:
Back