• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you have deep pockets, the Titan X. Only $1500 - chump change when you think about it ;)

Deep pockets? Does someone who makes relatively good money, takes very little vacation, and whos most expensive hobby is gaming really need deep pockets to spend a grand on GPUs every 2-3 years? I think not. Cmon! :)

And to your point. The Titan is slow compared to SLI of the tis! 2 980tis smoke the Titan and cost not much more.

Whatever crazy Titan card comes out next will still get raped by two 1080tis. That's what I plan to install next.

Deep pockets? Does someone who makes relatively good money, takes very little vacation, and whos most expensive hobby is gaming really need deep pockets to spend a grand on GPUs every 2-3 years? I think not. Cmon! :)

And to your point. The Titan is slow compared to SLI of the tis! 2 980tis smoke the Titan and cost not much more.

Whatever crazy Titan card comes out next will still get raped by two 1080tis. That's what I plan to install next.

Maybe it's the cheap brown guy in me, but I can't spend that much on a video card. $500 is my sweet spot - maybe $600 if its a really good value, but I look at it as the opportunity cost.

For $1500, I can build a brand new Broadwell E system (which I also want). I remember wayyyy back in the day, a Voodoo 2 cost me $400, and that was considered insanely expensive. Nvidia has really been sticking it to the consumer in the high end segment because AMD has nothing to offer.

PS: While you probably already have, an overclocked 980ti can come within striking distance of a 1080. I'm really into the extreme benchmarking scene (more so than gaming), and a guy over on overclockers.com put his 1550mhz 980Ti vs. stock 1080, and the difference was like 5%. The 980Ti is a wicked value, and probably a better purchase than a 1070 if you factor in max overclocks (assuming you don't care about energy efficiency)

Maybe it's the cheap brown guy in me, but I can't spend that much on a video card. $500 is my sweet spot - maybe $600 if its a really good value, but I look at it as the opportunity cost.

For $1500, I can build a brand new Broadwell E system (which I also want). I remember wayyyy back in the day, a Voodoo 2 cost me $400, and that was considered insanely expensive. Nvidia has really been sticking it to the consumer in the high end segment because AMD has nothing to offer.

PS: While you probably already have, an overclocked 980ti can come within striking distance of a 1080. I'm really into the extreme benchmarking scene (more so than gaming), and a guy over on overclockers.com put his 1550mhz 980Ti vs. stock 1080, and the difference was like 5%. The 980Ti is a wicked value, and probably a better purchase than a 1070 if you factor in max overclocks (assuming you don't care about energy efficiency)

I actually don't extreme OC my cards. Not my 980tis. Funny enough, the previous card was a 980 and before that, SLI 470s. Now those cards I fuckin overclocked. I OC'd my 470s till I could use them as a space heater. lol

Seriously, tho. The 1080ti is what I'm eyeing. Hopefully one of those cards will be as good as my two 980tis at 4K resolutions. If not, I am disappoint.

I am thinking of going all out for a new desktop. My current machine:

i3-4130
8 gb ram
1 tb hd
nvidea gtx geforce 645 with 1 gb of RAM DDR5

when i accidentally updgraded to windows 10 I've noticed it's a bit sluggish.

I was thinking of going kind of all out, getting something like

i7 6800K
32 GB RAM
512 SSD
nvidea gtx geforce 1070, possibly dual

I'm hoping something like that survives the 4k era, but I don't know. Obviously my current PC is mediocre.

I also wonder if the liquid cooling thing is worth it. Is it really needed? I saw it on display and it looked super awesome but it might be kind of a gimmick?

Don't know if this is the right place for this but I would greatly appreciate any of my fellow sherdoggers knowledge...

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-78LMT (model might not be 100% accurate)
PSU: Corsair CX-430 80 bronze cert

For the past couple of months, I have had to turn off the power supply
and turn it back on before powering up the PC in order to get the montior to show.
Sometimes I do not have to do this.

However today I was on my PC for about 15-20 minutes before it shut off, and when I turned it back
on immediately it shut off at the windows start screen (motherboard was probably still to hot).

I turned it back on and was able to log into my desktop and I used CPUID's HWMONITOR software, and I saw the
motherboard's temperature slowly rising (i had skype and firefox open). Temps' were rising to 55 degrees
Celsius before I decided to shut down computer. Temperatures usually never even hit 60 degrees celsius on my
computer.

The power supply fan never turned on, I don't think it's load based. Is this caused by the power supply
not being able to supply sufficient power causing motherboard to overheat?

**EDIT**
Solution: Cleaning CPU fan and heatskin . Decent amount of dust bunnies fell out, seems to be all good for now. Hopefully it stays this way! = )

Last edited:

i3-4130
8 gb ram
1 tb hd

i7 6800K
32 GB RAM
512 SSD

I'm hoping something like that survives the 4k era, but I don't know. Obviously my current PC is mediocre.

I also wonder if the liquid cooling thing is worth it. Is it really needed? I saw it on display and it looked super awesome but it might be kind of a gimmick?

Well, if your exclusively gaming, I would probably recommend the 6700k. It largely depends on what price you can get on a LGA 2011v3 motherboard - they are on average $100 more expensive than a z170 board, but offer more ram and PCI-E lanes.

I personally prefer 6 core machines (or higher) due to my work load, which includes both work and gaming. However, Skylake's single threaded performance is still better than broadwell E. It also overclocks significantly higher - Broadwell E is an absolute dog in that department. It all comes down to budget though, if a couple extra bucks isn't going to matter in the long run, then maybe you would benefit from the 6800k. Go with whatever is cheaper in the store, microcenter often has great deals.

The 1070 is probably the best value bet, but your not going to get 4k gameplay out of it. No single card will (but Titanx X will get you close). SLI/Crossfire is a bit of a headache, and not something I recommend (and this is coming from someone who has run CF in 4 of the past 5 generations). Two 1070s are going to be blazing in the games that work, but you may have to wait for driver updates and game patches to get the full use out of it.

Watercooling (The All in One type) works great,its easy to install, and helps keep cable clutter down. It's a bit more expensive, but I personally prefer it to air cooling - not necessarily due to better performance, but I don't like having to install those massive heatsinks like the Noctua DH-14. If your talking about a custom loop (like the crazy ones you see in magazines), then that's a huge investment in and of itself. People do it because they love it, not necessarily because its a good value.

Have fun with the new comp!

Well, if your exclusively gaming, I would probably recommend the 6700k. It largely depends on what price you can get on a LGA 2011v3 motherboard - they are on average $100 more expensive than a z170 board, but offer more ram and PCI-E lanes.

I personally prefer 6 core machines (or higher) due to my work load, which includes both work and gaming. However, Skylake's single threaded performance is still better than broadwell E. It also overclocks significantly higher - Broadwell E is an absolute dog in that department. It all comes down to budget though, if a couple extra bucks isn't going to matter in the long run, then maybe you would benefit from the 6800k. Go with whatever is cheaper in the store, microcenter often has great deals.

The 1070 is probably the best value bet, but your not going to get 4k gameplay out of it. No single card will (but Titanx X will get you close). SLI/Crossfire is a bit of a headache, and not something I recommend (and this is coming from someone who has run CF in 4 of the past 5 generations). Two 1070s are going to be blazing in the games that work, but you may have to wait for driver updates and game patches to get the full use out of it.

Watercooling (The All in One type) works great,its easy to install, and helps keep cable clutter down. It's a bit more expensive, but I personally prefer it to air cooling - not necessarily due to better performance, but I don't like having to install those massive heatsinks like the Noctua DH-14. If your talking about a custom loop (like the crazy ones you see in magazines), then that's a huge investment in and of itself. People do it because they love it, not necessarily because its a good value.

Have fun with the new comp!

Thanks. What about the extreme edition i7-6950? And yeah, I wanted one of those crazy custom loops. They look so darn cool.

Thanks. What about the extreme edition i7-6950? And yeah, I wanted one of those crazy custom loops. They look so darn cool.
If you're just gaming and you buy a 6950, you're wasting money. The much, much cheaper 6700k matches or outperforms it in gaming. It's purpose in life isn't gaming

Well, I guess it's all relative to your budget.

I am budget minded, so the flagship processsors (6950x) are outside of my price bracket. However, if you have the funds, then it is basically the Rolls Royce of consumer chips. Is it the best value? Hell no, but people don't buy chips like that to pinch pennies. They buy it because their enthusiasts.

Custom loops are awesome - I tried it once back inn 2006, and it was a fucking bitch to build and maintain. However, things have gotten significantly easier since then. What some guys do are really works of art, but it is a labor of love. If your mechanically inclined and have steady hands, then give it a try. Start with something small, but modular (like a 240mm rad and a single loop to cool the CPU). If you like it, you can start adding in pieces and cool things like the videocard, and even the RAM and motherboard chipset.

There are alot of great water cooling "how to" guides. The most important thing when water cooling is case choice - having a nice huge case makes the world of difference. My vote is for the Thermal Take Core X9 (that thing is HUGE, and modular)

There really isn't a reason to buy it. I don't know if you watch Linus Tech Tips, but on the Wan Show Linus went through a whole bunch of scenarios and there was always a cheaper and better processor than then 6950x.
edit: here it is

Last edited:

i3-4130
8 gb ram
1 tb hd

i7 6800K
32 GB RAM
512 SSD

liquid cooling is always worth it. And dont get a broadwell-e. People told me to save the cash money, and put towatrd something else.

Also drop the ram down a little. id use the extra to do a pair of 1080s and maybe get a monitor better then 1080p since its pretty much useless now.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. Class acts here.

There really isn't a reason to buy it. I don't know if you watch Linus Tech Tips, but on the Wan Show Linus went through a whole bunch of scenarios and there was always a cheaper and better processor than then 6950x.
edit: here it is

Ironically, I found a perfect use for the processor this week and plan to purchase several for my company for CAD workstations. Typically 3D CAD software likes i7s overclocked as fast as possible. However, analysis software typically favors much more cores (i.e. Xeons). Since we cant overclock Xeon CPUs to 4.5ghz, the new 10 core i7s are simply amazing for this situation.

Ironically, I found a perfect use for the processor this week and plan to purchase several for my company for CAD workstations. Typically 3D CAD software likes i7s overclocked as fast as possible. However, analysis software typically favors much more cores (i.e. Xeons). Since we cant overclock Xeon CPUs to 4.5ghz, the new 10 core i7s are simply amazing for this situation.
You might want to look at that again. I don't think you can oc them across the board, you can use turbo boost. Iirc you can only oc 1 core

How long was the wait before the 980ti got released after the 980? Just trying to make a guess here when nvidia releases the 1080 ti.

So, my old gaming pc only partially survived my move. Specifically, the graphics card and tower (including the power supply) are dead. I need to get a new tower/power supply, and a new video card. It's been years since I last did this, and don't relish the thought of learning it all over again. The tricky part is that I need to fit it into an 18 inch space - so it can't be more than 16 or so inches long. So, if anybody has any suggestions for a smallish case (preferably one compatible with liquid cooling, but not remotely necessary) and a graphics card that'll fit inside it (PCI express), I'm taking notes.

So, my old gaming pc only partially survived my move. Specifically, the graphics card and tower (including the power supply) are dead. I need to get a new tower/power supply, and a new video card. It's been years since I last did this, and don't relish the thought of learning it all over again. The tricky part is that I need to fit it into an 18 inch space - so it can't be more than 16 or so inches long. So, if anybody has any suggestions for a smallish case (preferably one compatible with liquid cooling, but not remotely necessary) and a graphics card that'll fit inside it (PCI express), I'm taking notes.
Are you wanting to use your old mobo and if so, what standard is it? What's your budget? Do you want a tiny case, mid tower, full? Do you want a flashy case or something that will blend in with furniture?
Odds are it will be one of the middle two.
ATX_compare.png

computer-case-sizes.jpg

Last edited:
Are you wanting to use your old mobo and if so, what standard is it? What's your budget? Do you want a tiny case, mid tower, full? Do you want a flashy case or something that will blend in with furniture?
Odds are it will be one of the middle two.
ATX_compare.png

computer-case-sizes.jpg
Ill probably be using my micro-ATX motherboard, which still works fine. In terms of towers, I need something smaller, as it'll be going on a shelf. This also means that a cuboid tower would work particularly well.

It's really the graphics card that is the biggest concern.

Ill probably be using my micro-ATX motherboard, which still works fine. In terms of towers, I need something smaller, as it'll be going on a shelf. This also means that a cuboid tower would work particularly well.

It's really the graphics card that is the biggest concern.
Gigabyte makes a 1070 itx so size isn't the issue. That'll handle just about everything at 1080@60 fps.
There's itx cases that handle full sized graphics cards, like the dancase one, so don't panic about video cards.

Edit: Remember to watch out for power supply length also with smaller cases. If money is no object, I'd go with the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv. You can do a 140mm radiator in the back or front, 280mm in the top or a 240 in the top and rear with a 120 in the front. There's a couple of spots on the backside to hold ssd's, only 1 bracket is supplied and you have to purchase the second one. It will also accept up to a 12.5 inch video card, which should accept most cards.
Evolv-mATX-1.jpg

Evolv-mATX-13.jpg

Evolv-mATX-8.jpg

A much cheaper option would be the Thermaltake Core v21 and will accept up to a 13.7 inch card. It's a pretty neat case, you can put your mobo vertical or horizontal and it's really modular.

main.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic7.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back