• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multiple times. I've never had an issue. I buy from cdkeys.com also.

@m52nickerson A lot of stuff comes from bundles also. I've sold leftover keys on g2a.

Perhaps, but they are also huge amount that come from less then reputable sources. I don't blame anyone for take advantage of those keys, I simply think people should know were they are coming from.

I found some of my old PC gaming mags from 99. Check out the specs on this "monster" rig from Alienware.

H6Wtgjb.jpg

MSRP for this generation are all screwed up. You can't find an RX 480 for $200, and those are the reference models. All the aftermarket designs are going to be around $250.
Aftermarket designs are usually cheaper iirc

MSRP on the 1070 is $380 for board partners, $450 for reference cards, and yet the cheapest card is the EVGA for $430. Obviously as a consumer I can choose not to buy, but the effort to price gauge is despicable and indicative of our pathetic market economy. Supply&demand blah, blah- these people are crooks operating what's practically a monopoly. AMD and nVidia should be investigated by the FTC and fined accordingly for these fabricated supply shortages, but hey, that's crony capitalism for ya. Their friends in congress and the senate act sluggishly and appoint inside officials to head offices which oversee and approve of these greedy tactics. It's not until years after massive profits have been made before they slap these guys on the wrist in an attempt to pretend to do their job, ala the whole GTX 970 3.5GB RAM advertised as 4GB fraud that's only now close to being settled- nearly two years after the lawsuit was filed.

Excuse the War Room rant. I just want to be able to buy a card to max my 1440p monitor and not pay a fake supply shortage premium.

Last edited:
I found some of my old PC gaming mags from 99. Check out the specs on this "monster" rig from Alienware.

H6Wtgjb.jpg
Microsoft Intellimouse Master Race ftw

I still have a 3.0 and it's the best mouse, ergonomically, I've ever owned. It just feels right. The Deathadder Chroma is my current mouse because the 500hz wasn't cutting it on the 3.0. Great mouse but a bit small for my man hands.

So I just recently stumbled upon G2A which is a digital marketplace for games. Anyone else bought games from them? A friend of mine bought Doom for $33CAD.

Avoid such websites. Its mainly a laundering service for scammers.

Aftermarket designs are usually cheaper iirc

MSRP on the 1070 is $380 for board partners, $450 for reference cards, and yet the cheapest card is the EVGA for $430. Obviously as a consumer I can choose not to buy, but the effort to price gauge is despicable and indicative of our pathetic market economy. Supply&demand blah, blah- these people are crooks operating what's practically a monopoly. AMD and nVidia should be investigated by the FTC and fined accordingly for these fabricated supply shortages, but hey, that's crony capitalism for ya. Their friends in congress and the senate act sluggishly and appoint inside officials to head offices which oversee and approve of these greedy tactics. It's not until years after massive profits have been made before they slap these guys on the wrist in an attempt to pretend to do their job, ala the whole GTX 970 3.5GB RAM advertised as 4GB fraud that's only now close to being settled- nearly two years after the lawsuit was filed.

Excuse the War Room rant. I just want to be able to buy a card to max my 1440p monitor and not pay a fake supply shortage premium.

I paid $420 for my gigabyte g1 1070 and would do it again.
I paid just as much with my last crossfire setup as I did my new card and it performs even better.

So I just recently stumbled upon G2A which is a digital marketplace for games. Anyone else bought games from them? A friend of mine bought Doom for $33CAD.
What game are you looking to buy?

I paid $420 for my gigabyte g1 1070 and would do it again.
I paid just as much with my last crossfire setup as I did my new card and it performs even better.
I paid $700 for my 1070 Strix OC including a $60 replacement plan in case it craps out on me. Remember Canadian$$$ is crap at the moment so USD would probably be just above $500.

What game are you looking to buy?
Overwatch and Metro Redux.

I paid $700 for my 1070 Strix OC including a $60 replacement plan in case it craps out on me. Remember Canadian$$$ is crap at the moment so USD would probably be just above $500.

I'm amazed the intial hype hasn't died down yet. Canadian cards are still inflated way above MSRP even with currency conversion. $379 = $500 CAD and places like Memory Express still want $600 for a 1070. That's WAY too much money IMO.

I'm waiting for someone to stuff a 1070 in an ultrabook. I need to make the switch to a laptop for DJing and travel. There are ultrabooks with 1060s in them, but I think I'd prefer a 1070 for future proofing.

I'm amazed the intial hype hasn't died down yet. Canadian cards are still inflated way above MSRP even with currency conversion. $379 = $500 CAD and places like Memory Express still want $600 for a 1070. That's WAY too much money IMO.

I'm waiting for someone to stuff a 1070 in an ultrabook. I need to make the switch to a laptop for DJing and travel. There are ultrabooks with 1060s in them, but I think I'd prefer a 1070 for future proofing.

Another factor as to why I bought the 1070 at that price is because at the time I got a huge bonus at work which practically paid for my build and I just wanted to finish the build. Did I pay more than I need to? Yes but am satisfied with the purchase. Mind you memory express also price matched all my components and in total i saved around $250 by looking at other sites and telling them about it.

And speaking of 1070 in laptops, I believe someone posted a link on this topic on the gaming laptop thread?

Wondering if you gents wouldnt mind taking a look at a rig i threw together. My last pc was built around 6 years ago so its time to upgrade. I don't have any particular needs but would like to make it 1440 capable. If you guys see any value places i could switch around or if you think i should wait on a deal to come out Im all ears. Not in any big hurry.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9jCFgL

So my Playstation Pulse headset crap out on me. Thing is not charging anymore which sucks and now I'm in need of a replacement headset. Recommendations for under $100?

Wondering if you gents wouldnt mind taking a look at a rig i threw together. My last pc was built around 6 years ago so its time to upgrade. I don't have any particular needs but would like to make it 1440 capable. If you guys see any value places i could switch around or if you think i should wait on a deal to come out Im all ears. Not in any big hurry.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9jCFgL
Looks solid, but why the mini ITX 1070 if you are not using an ITX mobo/case ? I have not seen any reviews of it, but typically those are slower than their full size siblings.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/HMnyKZ

D14 keeps your K CPU ice cold and you won't even hear it.
r5>r4 same price fixes the r4s shortcomings, you may want to add another silent fan or two-the noise insulation can make things hot.
I personally avoid Asrock and MSI products like the plague. I picked the tried and true Asus mobo, but there are solid Gigabyte models in that price range too.

You'll hardly notice a difference between 2400mhz ram and 3000mhz, plus G.Skill is highly regarded. Never heard of that other brand

That mini itx card has a great price, but it'll be loud, hot, and won't have much overclocking headroom. EVGA GPUs are the way to go.

Back to EVGA, you chose an outdated and inferior PSU. Get the G2- trust me. I have the NEX- it's loud, less energy efficient, and inferior in product quality to the g2.

As for your SSD- black Friday should have those bad boys dipping close to $100(I saw them as low as $130 last and they came with a solid game).

So my Playstation Pulse headset crap out on me. Thing is not charging anymore which sucks and now I'm in need of a replacement headset. Recommendations for under $100?
Audio Technica m40x+cheap clip on mic
Amazon product ASIN B00HVLUR54
Edit- if for ps4- good luck. All those console headsets have always been shit dating back to the included in the box Socom I headset. But even the pc gaming headsets are primarily shit. I personally rock the m50x+modmic. Cost $150 when I snagged the m50x for $100 last BF

Last edited:
Audio Technica m40x+cheap clip on mic
Amazon product ASIN B00HVLUR54
Edit- if for ps4- good luck. All those console headsets have always been shit dating back to the included in the box Socom I headset. But even the pc gaming headsets are primarily shit. I personally rock the m50x+modmic. Cost $150 when I snagged the m50x for $100 last BF

I just used the pulse elite for pc as that was the only headset that I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back