• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 182 movie!

Let's pick the Week 182 movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

3e4pvx.jpg

ThierryHenryFlower speaks:

As much as i’d love to take advantage of the timing for another round of wacked out Midnight Movies in celebration of Spooktober, i feel as though it is my duty to highlight the versatility of documentary as a genre. plus, my first Midnight Movies winner (Driller Killer) didn’t go over so well w/ the crew... oh who am i kidding;
it’s tiiime!
{<buffer}
to get spooky!

(condolences to Tufts and SteveRodgers)

Candidates:

Body Melt (1993)

MV5BNDJhMGQyMjAtMzlkZC00ZmU0LWFhNjYtNDY0NWU4YzkxODdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Director: Philip Brophy

Stars: Gerard Kennedy, Andrew Daddo, Ian Smith

Premise: Residents of peaceful Pebbles Court, Homesville, are being used unknowingly as test experiments for a new 'Body Drug' that causes rapid body decomposition (melting skin etc.) and painful death.

Humanoids from the Deep (1980)

MV5BNmMyZDk2MjItNzM2Yy00YWEwLTk0ZmYtYjJiZDQxMmU5NGQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Director: Barbara Peeters, Jimmy T. Murakami

Stars: Doug McClure, Ann Turkel, Vic Morrow

Premise: Scientific experiments backfire and produce horrific mutations: half man, half fish, which terrorize a small fishing village by killing the men and raping the women.

Chopping Mall (1986)

MV5BNjBkZTI0MjQtZmMzYi00ZTI0LTg0NzEtZGI0M2YxMGRmZWZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Director: Jim Wynorski

Stars: Kelli Maroney, Tony O'Dell, Russell Todd

Premise: A group of young shopping mall employees stay behind for a late night party in one of the stores. When the mall goes on lock-down before they can get out, the robot security system malfunctions, and goes on a killing spree.

Slugs (1988)

MV5BZTM1ZjZiMzUtN2NiMi00NzA0LWI3YmUtNzU1NDNlNGYxMzg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Director: Juan Piquer Simón

Stars: Michael Garfield, Kim Terry, Philip MacHale

Premise: Killer slugs on the rampage in a rural community.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @FrontNakedChoke @Tufts @chickenluver @Steve Rogers @Scott Parker 27 @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @HARRISON_3 @moreorless87 @TheJewBear @HenryFlower @Zer

This Weeks Top Theme Is: "Top 5 Movies You Should Jabber Through with Friends &/or Top 5 Movies You Shouldn’t Say a Word During"

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

3e4pvx.jpg

ThierryHenryFlower speaks:

As much as i’d love to take advantage of the timing for another round of wacked out Midnight Movies in celebration of Spooktober, i feel as though it is my duty to highlight the versatility of documentary as a genre. plus, my first Midnight Movies winner (Driller Killer) didn’t go over so well w/ the crew... oh who am i kidding;
it’s tiiime!
{<buffer}
to get spooky!

(condolences to Tufts and SteveRodgers)

Candidates:

Body Melt (1993)

MV5BNDJhMGQyMjAtMzlkZC00ZmU0LWFhNjYtNDY0NWU4YzkxODdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Director: Philip Brophy

Stars: Gerard Kennedy, Andrew Daddo, Ian Smith

Premise: Residents of peaceful Pebbles Court, Homesville, are being used unknowingly as test experiments for a new 'Body Drug' that causes rapid body decomposition (melting skin etc.) and painful death.

Humanoids from the Deep (1980)

MV5BNmMyZDk2MjItNzM2Yy00YWEwLTk0ZmYtYjJiZDQxMmU5NGQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Director: Barbara Peeters, Jimmy T. Murakami

Stars: Doug McClure, Ann Turkel, Vic Morrow

Premise: Scientific experiments backfire and produce horrific mutations: half man, half fish, which terrorize a small fishing village by killing the men and raping the women.

Chopping Mall (1986)

MV5BNjBkZTI0MjQtZmMzYi00ZTI0LTg0NzEtZGI0M2YxMGRmZWZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Director: Jim Wynorski

Stars: Kelli Maroney, Tony O'Dell, Russell Todd

Premise: A group of young shopping mall employees stay behind for a late night party in one of the stores. When the mall goes on lock-down before they can get out, the robot security system malfunctions, and goes on a killing spree.

Slugs (1988)

MV5BZTM1ZjZiMzUtN2NiMi00NzA0LWI3YmUtNzU1NDNlNGYxMzg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Director: Juan Piquer Simón

Stars: Michael Garfield, Kim Terry, Philip MacHale

Premise: Killer slugs on the rampage in a rural community.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @FrontNakedChoke @Tufts @chickenluver @Steve Rogers @Scott Parker 27 @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @HARRISON_3 @moreorless87 @TheJewBear @HenryFlower @Zer

This Weeks Top Theme Is: "Top 5 Movies You Should Jabber Through with Friends &/or Top 5 Movies You Shouldn’t Say a Word During"

How the hell am I supposed to pick just one?? I'll take one of each, great picks.

I missed ever seeing Chopping Mall growing up, even though the box art always caught my eye when browsing at Blockbuster or Mr. Willie's (our neighborhood video rental store). Looks amazing.

This was one of those "Of the two movies I haven't seen, one looks better in the trailer but the other is directed by a filmmaker I usually really like" week. I ended up going with the Director.

Y'all ever look at the plot key words for a film on imdb? They can be pretty funny. I really want to post them for one of these movies in particular, but it could be considered as trying to influence the vote.

oh btw that meme image in the OP is probably the best one you've ever done

They're short so even if they ain't ur speed no harm no foul

@HenryFlower this is a tough weekly theme. What I had to boil it down to is films that I would be irritated if I was at someone's house with five or six people and two of them wouldn't shut up. I think the reason why is there are certain films that sort of cast a spell on the viewer but only if they are silent and attentive. So these are 5 films where I feel there shouldn't be any talking in order to get the full impact of the film.

Top 5 Movies You Shouldn’t Say a Word During

5. The Blair Witch Project (1999)

This film has two camps, love it and hate it camp, but it does its best to isolate the characters and their descent into madness or whatever it was, and is best viewed silently without interruption I think mainly due to the fact that much of the unease is produced by darkness and sounds.

MV5BNzQ1NDBlNDItMDAyYS00YTI2LTgwMmYtMzAwMzg4NDFlM2ZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

4. Reservoir Dogs (1992)

Many films would climax with a bank robbery, Reservoir Dogs begins with the aftermath of one. Because of the way its structured and the importance of the dialogue, I think this film is best viewed in silence.

MV5BZmExNmEwYWItYmQzOS00YjA5LTk2MjktZjEyZDE1Y2QxNjA1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

3. The Mist (2007)

This film has one of the most WTF harsh endings I've ever seen in a film. Because of combination of what happens at the end and the questions for the viewer revolving around what exactly is happening, I feel this film would be lessened by chatty MF'ers.

MV5BMTU2NjQyNDY1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTk1MDU1MQ@@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

2. Se7en (1995)

The atmosphere of Se7en is dark and dank and dirty. It draws the viewer into the world of a demented serial killer in a way few other films have done. The discovery of each victim leading the characters and viewer to its ultimate reveal and ending builds in a way that I think is best viewed in silence because, once again, some films need an attentive audience to reach the heights of what it has to offer.

MV5BOTUwODM5MTctZjczMi00OTk4LTg3NWUtNmVhMTAzNTNjYjcyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

1. Schindler's List (1993) There is no talking during the holocaust.
MV5BNDE4OTMxMTctNmRhYy00NWE2LTg3YzItYTk3M2UwOTU5Njg4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Y'all ever look at the plot key words for a film on imdb? They can be pretty funny

This is probably just a trick to make us look at a list of weird rape-related key-words on IMDB considering Humanoid From The Deeps is on there.

oh btw that meme image in the OP is probably the best one you've ever done

It sure is the most accurate!:p

@HenryFlower this is a tough weekly theme.

Yeah I'm having a hell of a time too thinking something up.

The number 1 is undisputed though:

Top 5 Movies You Should Jabber Through with Friends:

MV5BODcyYzM4YTAtNGM5MS00NjU4LTk2Y2ItZjI5NjkzZTk0MmQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

It's just a hilarious movie to jabber about.

I missed ever seeing Chopping Mall growing up, even though the box art always caught my eye when browsing at Blockbuster or Mr. Willie's (our neighborhood video rental store). Looks amazing.

I had the poster hanging in my bedroom. Can't recall much of anything about the film though.

This is probably just a trick to make us look at a list of weird rape-related key-words on IMDB considering Humanoid From The Deeps is on there.
haha the top plot key words for that are bouncing breasts, bare butt, bare breasts, female nudity, and wobbling breasts.

Was surprised to see the movie was directed by a woman.

@MusterX you and I were the only ones who wanted to watch a movie with woman getting raped by fish-monsters :eek:

Was surprised to see the movie was directed by a woman.

All the hanky-panky was added in post-shot by the second director.

Said woman was not bemused.

Honestly, it's probably Roger Corman's scummiest move.

@MusterX you and I were the only ones who wanted to watch a movie with woman getting raped by fish-monsters :eek:

Yes, I've already reported this to @jei. The Sherdog Mods are looking into it and currently deciding if they should forward it to your local intelligence agencies. Have a nice day.:cool: Why did you think @the muntjac disappeared out of the blue after that Boss N***** nomination?;)

I'm just fearful that we're getting a "Monster Rape" theme on of these days.:oops:

five movies you should shut your dang trap during:
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. The Passion of Joan of Arc
3. Persona
4. Damnation
5. Last Year at Marienbad

five movies you should talk during:
1. Hard Ticket to Hawaii
2. Troll 2
3. Samurai Cop
4. Chopping Mall
5. any Neil Breen movie

not surprised Chopping Mall won the vote. i had a feeling it would after looking at the movies i surrounded it w/, but definitely can’t say i’m disappointed. it’s an October staple for me. watch w/ a friend(s) if at all possible; it’s a blast w/ a crowd. got to see it last month at the theater. it was great.

All the hanky-panky was added in post-shot by the second director.

Said woman was not bemused.

Honestly, it's probably Roger Corman's scummiest move.
well that explains it. like @chickenluver i was in disbelief that a woman directed Humanoids the whole time while watching it.

well that explains it. like @chickenluver i was in disbelief that a woman directed Humanoids the whole time while watching it.

If you want to watch women direct fucked up sexual relationships then the impeccable Lina Wertmüller is your guy gal.

Locandina_Travolti_da_un_insolito_destino_nell%27azzurro_mare_d%27agosto.jpg

220px-The-seduction-of-mimi-movie-poster-1974.jpg

220px-Tbsspos.jpg

Don't ask how I have ascertained this knowledge.

Back