• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 181 movie!

Let's pick the Week 181 movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My loathe list would have been...

Ghostbusters
Back to the Future
ET

I still do not particularly care for any of those movies.
I'm with you on ET. I never cared for it in any degree. While I enjoyed Back to the Future, it's not remotely a staple in my library. I bought the whole trilogy on blu ray a while back for 8 bucks because it made sense to have a copy of it, but I won't go out of my way for it.

Ghostbusters, however...

Does watching Artrax choke to death in quicksand grow any less traumatizing as you grow older?
Sure, because it’s a rug. Sadly it takes the imagination of a child to make that movie come alive.

Hey at least I didn't compare you to Katla!
hqdefault.jpg
That would have been ok. I like flying weirdos by Lindgren, remember?
c1c929e9-60a6-4d93-9738-f64c63a8e1b5

Speaking on Ronja (1984), there was this forest outlaw childrens tale revival in Finland early 80’s. I saw When Robbers Came to Cardamom as summer theatre play twice as a kid, then there were reruns of the Czech animation series Rosvo-Rudolf originally following Disney’s Robin Hood (1973) which also got new theatrical release maybe -81-82. Those are really nostalgic for me. I should look into this thing by watching Ronja and also Sjöström’s Outlaw And His Wife. I wonder if Jag är din krigare is somehow part of that tradition. @europe1

Last edited:
I have a top seven! It was weird when we got movies in Spain. A lot of these were recordings done with a handheld camera in a theatre on a grainy VHS. An Officer and a Gentleman was barely discernible!
Were these dubbed into Spanish? I'd imagine dubbing into another language would make a big difference for musicals especially. How do the songs in Spanish hold up compared to the original English?
Small Soldiers
Brink!
Wow those are some blasts from the past. Small Soldiers I remember pretty well. I had completely forgotten Brink, and just seeing the name didn't jogg any memories, I had to read up on it to be sure I had seen it.
Shut up you fool! Frodo of the Nine-Fingers was a legit hit!

hahaha it really is a pretty well done kid's cartoon in terms of the art and faithfulness to the book. John Huston was a great Gandalf. They also got Otto Preminger to voice an Elf king somehow. Unfortunately the music is unbearable. I know most of the lyrics come straight from the songs in the book, but the tunes themselves are just awful.

I had a weird moment where I was watching X-Men origins wolverine, and the voice of the antagonist reminded me of Gandalf from this movie. I looked it up and discovered that actor was Danny Huston, son of John Huston.

Coincidentally the Japanese studio that animated the Hobbit was the precursor to the studio that made the Ronia series.
In Soviet Russia, usual incredibles you!

That's a legit good film, btw. Just thought I name drop it.
Better than the first one?
Unlike Anglo or Hispanic culture, Germanic culture tended to take a very romanticised view of Native Americans. They live at one with nature (allegedly) so they're doing what we all should be doing in the first place.
Yeah it would be difficult to reconcile a romanticized view like that while also attempting to justify supplanting them.
Why would you inform me of this abominations existence? Does my humanity mean nothing to you?
It's a beautiful thing when art crosses cultural barriers.
Disney’s Robin Hood (1973) which also got new theatrical release maybe -81-82.
I prefer the Daffy Duck Robin Hood cartoon.
Sjöström’s Outlaw And His Wife.
That's a good movie. Rather grim though.

Back