SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 181 movie!

Let's pick the Week 181 movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

3di5h7.jpg

@HARRISON_3 brings us a classical Halloween we... wait a minute, Is Gone Girl a Horror movie? I... guess? Cursed confusion!

Candidates:

hellraiser.jpg

Director: Clive Barker

Cast: Andrew Robinson, Clare Higgins, Ashley Laurence

Premise: An unfaithful wife encounters the zombie of her dead lover; the demonic cenobites are pursuing him after he escaped their sadomasochistic underworld.

51M-JBwP1AL._SY445_.jpg

Director: Wes Craven

Cast: Bill Pullman, Cathy Tyson, Zakes Mokae

Premise: An anthropologist goes to Haiti after hearing rumors about a drug used by black magic practitioners to turn people into zombies.

event_horizon.jpg

Director: Paul W.S. Anderson

Cast: Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan

Premise: A rescue crew investigates a spaceship that disappeared into a black hole and has now returned...with someone or something new on-board.

lf

Director: David Fincher

Cast: Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris

Premise: With his wife's disappearance having become the focus of an intense media circus, a man sees the spotlight turned on him when it's suspected that he may not be innocent.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @FrontNakedChoke @Tufts @chickenluver @Steve Rogers @Scott Parker 27 @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @HARRISON_3 @HenryFlower @Zer

This Weeks Top Theme: "Top 5 Favourite Movies from your Childhood!"​

Last edited:
If you choose Gone Girl, I'll spit some takes in this thread. I think Gone Girl is monumentally underrated. I loved how it was shot and directed.

If you choose Gone Girl, I'll spit some takes in this thread. I think Gone Girl is monumentally underrated. I loved how it was shot and directed.
It got 87% on Rotten Tomatoes and 79 on Metacritic.

It got 87% on Rotten Tomatoes and 79 on Metacritic.

It deserved much higher. Was a Best Picture snub. I had it as the #3 movie of the year after Birdman and Boyhood and think it was much better than the rest of the Best Picture nominees.

Movies about childhood or from our own childhood?

From our own childhood.

Otherwise, everyone would just be picking Vacation of Petrov and Vasechkin, Usual and Incredible.

MV5BMjA2MzdiMTEtYjdmYi00NmE5LWExMzQtZWZiZjgwMDM0YTA4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE4OTY5NzI@._V1_UY268_CR60,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

It deserved much higher. Was a Best Picture snub. I had it as the #3 movie of the year after Birdman and Boyhood and think it was much better than the rest of the Best Picture nominees.

It really was a good movie. I didnt see boyhood but birdman was excellent too. I liked it way better than I thought I would.

I feel like Ben Affleck is exactly like his character in Gone Girl in real life.

From our own childhood.

Otherwise, everyone would just be picking Vacation of Petrov and Vasechkin, Usual and Incredible.

MV5BMjA2MzdiMTEtYjdmYi00NmE5LWExMzQtZWZiZjgwMDM0YTA4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE4OTY5NzI@._V1_UY268_CR60,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
Oh yes, of course. That was the first movie I thought of.

Neverending Story
Krull
Goonies
Ghostbusters
Hysterical

HM: Return of the Jedi, Gremlins, Golden Child, Young Sherlock Holmes, Spacehunter...

It was pretty good time to be a kid around -83-85.

Last edited:
Right... favourite childhood movies. Lot's of these are going to be Swedish.

I am Your Warrior
MV5BMjQ0NGI0YjctNzA4YS00ZGUzLTk5ZDYtYzE2ZWIyYjgwZGZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQxNDExNTU@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Young boy has a vision of an Indian telling him that he needs to "protect the forest". So, naturally, he becomes an eco-terrorist. This involves learning archery and shooting arrows at lumberjacks and cops. He once skewers the sheriff right through the bicep. The boy fails in his quest when the entire forest is cut down -- literally reduced to a wasteland -- and he's forced to go back to his parents, which is... really fucking dark for a kid-movie.

Mio My Mio
MV5BMTIwODM0Njc4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjU0NTg4._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Young boy Mio freezes to death on a park-bench in Stockholm. During his dying moments, he has a fantasy-vision that he's actually a prince in a land faraway where his dad isn't dead at all but actually the King. Christopher Lee is the baddy so Mio kills him with a sword. Ever since then, I've always wanted to kill Christoper Lee with a sword. Also stars... Christian Bale.

Ronja the Robber's Daughter
220px-Ronia_german_poster.jpg

Ronja is the daughter of the Head-Bandit who live in a Castle which was literally cloven in twine by lightning the night she was born. Early on, she's almost eaten alive by an army of moss-goblins, which is awesome. General fantasy superbness.

The Goonies
MV5BODRlMjRkZGEtZWM2Zi00ZjYxLWE0MWUtMmM1YWM2NzZlOTE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I didn't even remember that I used to love this film until that Chud @Yotsuya brought it up. I always favoured the Japanese kid since he had all the inventions. Anyone remember when they almost shredded the fat kids hand in that shredding-device?

Starship Troopers
MV5BNWExNzg3MmMtYjc3MS00MzFlLWJiOWQtNWYxZTgxNjhlZTQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I have no idea why my parents allowed me to watch this movie.

Three movies here I really like but I gotta vote for the one I ain't seen

For Top 5 Childhood movies mine were:

1. Leon
2. Top Gun
3. Dumb and Dumber
4. Demolition Man
5. Home Alone

I remember also really loving Cool World but nowadays I wouldn't put it in my top 5

Last edited:
I have a top seven! It was weird when we got movies in Spain. A lot of these were recordings done with a handheld camera in a theatre on a grainy VHS. An Officer and a Gentleman was barely discernible!

upload_2019-10-17_19-2-0.jpeg

.upload_2019-10-17_19-2-39.jpeg

.upload_2019-10-17_19-3-32.jpeg

upload_2019-10-17_19-4-5.jpeg

upload_2019-10-17_19-4-37.jpeg

upload_2019-10-17_19-5-13.jpeg

upload_2019-10-17_19-8-2.jpeg

MV5BODRlMjRkZGEtZWM2Zi00ZjYxLWE0MWUtMmM1YWM2NzZlOTE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I didn't even remember that I used to love this film until that Chud @Yotsuya brought it up. I always favoured the Japanese kid since he had all the inventions. Anyone remember when they almost shredded the fat kids hand in that shredding-device
Only saw this once as a kid. Rewatch as an adult not a success. I do remember some contraption with a rolling metal ball (?) and that someone’s hand was involved.

Never saw Ronja or Mio as a kid. :( Loved Pippi Longstrump movies and Karlson po taket, so I think I should watch at least Ronja someday.

That's funny, I also have Sound of Music on my list, like Tufts. I was Friedrich in my high school musical, it was pretty fun.

Here are some of my other big hits during my childhood, which depends on how long that age range spans.
Peewee's Big Adventure
Labyrinth
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze
The Great Mouse Detective
Rookie of the Year
Any of the Ernest movies
Romancing the Stone
Jumanji

Let's get dark now: "Childhood" films that I outright loathe
The Goonies
The Sandlot
Heavyweights
Beethoven
The Indian in the Cupboard

Fight me

I’m going to be off island at a hotel by myself for several days so I’ll prolly wait til I’m back next Friday to watch. I’m a real fraidy cat!

Back