SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 172 movie!

Let's pick the Week 172 movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Me when the SMC picks the one film I haven't seen out of the line-up.

Also, "No one Does it to you like Roman Polanski"

I'm gonna got to hell for laughing about that.

th

Man, The Tenant is a great flick and should make for an interesting discussion. I can't find the story anywhere online so it's probably rubbish, but I read once that Polanski and Kubrick got together at some party back in the 70's and basically the story goes that The Shining is Kubrick's The Tenant and Tess is Polanski's Barry Lyndon

I'm out this week. I've put a lot of thought into it and what it comes down to is I don't want to give RP anything. No money, no additional view of his work. Not able to separate artist from the work. Sorry boyz. And sorry @MusterX . You now I always try to support your week, friend. I also have to come up with a fourth nomination for my week, coz I forgot shithead made one of the ones I was going to nominate.

I'm out this week. I've put a lot of thought into it and what it comes down to is I don't want to give RP anything. No money, no additional view of his work. Not able to separate artist from the work. Sorry boyz. And sorry @MusterX . You now I always try to support your week, friend. I also have to come up with a fourth nomination for my week, coz I forgot shithead made one of the ones I was going to nominate.

No worries. He's a very controversial fellow.

I've never understood the artistic - or really any kind of - boycott. To each his/her own, of course, but IMO, just like Jon Jones being a piece of shit has no bearing on his GOATness, so Polanski being a piece of shit has no bearing on his filmmaking.

Anyway, I checked out The Tenant from my library today and when the older European woman at the counter scanned it she told me that it was "very interesting." I'm looking forward to finally seeing this one.

But first, I have to watch a bunch of Japanese movies (in preparation for a week in one of my upcoming classes), then I have to finish up my David Lynch kick (just for fun), and then I have to rewatch I Walk Alone so that @europe1, @Zer, and @Scott Parker 27 aren't all by themselves in that lonely Lancaster thread.

giphy.gif

1) Humphrey Bogart's career in the 1930s - I know that this is cheating, but Bogart famously took forever to take that star turn, and it's a ton of fun watching him in everything that he did in the 1930s, from playing the heavy to James Cagney's and Edward G. Robinson's heroes in stuff like Bullets or Ballots, The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse, Angels With Dirty Faces, and The Roaring Twenties to an ally of Bette Davis in stuff like Marked Woman and Dark Victory to, most fun of all, a doctor's assistant who happens to be a reanimated corpse in The Return of Doctor X :D

Naturally, I thought of stealing this pic the moment I saw it. :cool:

But I'm not really sure any of them stand out that much in comparison to the rest. Maybe his nastiness in Roaring Twenties?

I've never understood the artistic - or really any kind of - boycott.

I'm sort of in this camp, but... it's a different question when you're talking about giving them money and large-scale attention.

It's their fame and fortune that enables Hollywood sex predators to escape punishment in the first place, you know?

But first, I have to watch a bunch of Japanese movies (in preparation for a week in one of my upcoming classes)

Don't act coy. Spill the beans.:cool:

just like Jon Jones being a piece of shit has no bearing on his GOATness

Nah. Jones GOATness status is imperilled by his steroids instead.:D

Yeah I can’t seperate the art from the artist on this one.. Won’t be participating. Enjoy!

A conscientious objector, eh!?
I saw a movie about your kind!
But, you know. Fuck Polanski and the Hollywood blowhards who defend him;)

bf63f2f5e20673a2b3c37ae8c71a3d85.jpg

Honestly, what disgusts me the most about Polanski is how so many Hollywood people vocally defend him and act like he's some sort of victim in all this. They wouldn't be brushing things under the rug if it was their kid he violated. But you know, he's a member of the elite so different rules apply.

Jack in Easy Rider.

That's a damn good pick though. Utterly upends the movie from under Hopper and Fonda's noses.

Jennifer Connelly - Once Upon A Time In America - Pretty impressive that she manages to out act the adult version of the same character, a lot of the reason the earlier flashback sections work so well IMHO.

<mma4>

She has an amazing screen-presence that works excellently with Leone's visual style. But the adult actress is probably the worst part of that movie, like a husk in comparison.

And sorry for getting you mixed up with HenryFlower previously:D

1. Harrison Ford in Apocalypse Now - he really stood out to me in this film. He was the military up and comer getting his first taste of top secret house cleaning

Personally, I'd go for his performance as a threatening gay business-thug in The Conversation. But maybe I was just flummoxed by the role because it's Harrison playing a threatening gay business-thug

Harrison_Ford_-_The_Conversation_1974.jpg

It would be an issue for me if his films looked to support his crimes but the opposite is I'd say the case with films like Chinatown and arguably Repulsion showing the damage of sexual abuse.

Yeah and they're really up-front with that theme, too.

Kinda scary that someone who spends such parts of his oeuvre exploring that theme would become one himself and be so conscientious about it. Maybe he was just fascinated in sexual abuse in a vicarious sort of way. Cognitively aware that it's bad but someone who feels a craving to see such things depicted.

you mean thespian legend Brian Thompson, right? his Shao Kahn in MK: Annihilation showed pure mastery of his craft

Dude acted to entertain 7 years old me. Dude fucking succeded. What's the problem?:D

I've never understood the artistic - or really any kind of - boycott.

Some people don’t feel comfortable supporting or watching the work of known pedophiles.

There’s really nothing hard to understand about that.

Honestly, what disgusts me the most about Polanski is how so many Hollywood people vocally defend him and act like he's some sort of victim in all this. They wouldn't be brushing things under the rug if it was their kid he violated. But you know, he's a member of the elite so different rules apply.
I mean to be fair there WAS clearly a political motivation to the way the case progressed that was seriously dodgy but equally yeah a lot of the industry does tend to go between extremes, either someone is morally perfect or there a paraiah with the main difference being PR. Honestly I'v never really tended to have that hero worship mentality about celebrities even growing up, I liked certain pieces of art but wasn't obsessed with the individuals(well beyond romantic attraction to actresses/singers) behind them beyond the making of that art.
That's a damn good pick though. Utterly upends the movie from under Hopper and Fonda's noses.
Indeed, I mean I enjoy the rest of it but in retrospect I think a film based entirely on that character taking up with some hippies would have been even better.

She has an amazing screen-presence that works excellently with Leone's visual style. But the adult actress is probably the worst part of that movie, like a husk in comparison.

I mean to be fair I think a big issue is how the character progresses, the young version is very self confident but if the film has a weakness I think its that we don't really get to know the 30's version. The 60's version weighed down with guilt and regret I think works much better.
Yeah and they're really up-front with that theme, too.

Kinda scary that someone who spends such parts of his oeuvre exploring that theme would become one himself and be so conscientious about it. Maybe he was just fascinated in sexual abuse in a vicarious sort of way. Cognitively aware that it's bad but someone who feels a craving to see such things depicted.
You could argue I spose that Huston's character in Chinatown is almost a bit of an admission "capable of anything".

I don't think its uncommon for directors or artists generally to often be apologetic, guilt is a very powerful motivation.

Last edited:
Back