SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 172 movie!

Let's pick the Week 172 movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
haha what movie is this?
51cUr41nFxL.jpg

you mean thespian legend Brian Thompson, right? his Shao Kahn in MK: Annihilation showed pure mastery of his craft

Last edited:
Well, the one I voted for is winning, so that's good, although there's really only one film on the list that I'm not interested in seeing again/talking about.

Not the one I voted for, but hopefuly it wins coz one of the other's is on my list for a couple of weeks from now and it will screw me up if it wins.

Knowing my luck - it will be the one you don't want to see or talk about :oops:

Gilbert Grape put Leo on the map and its pretty crazy how many people I've met that have never seen it. He plays a mentally handicapped kid and perfectly pulls it off in a realistic way.

Legit thought homie was retarded at the time.

By the way, it's a shame for people to not watch films because of the scandal. Lots of folks put blood, sweat, and tears into the final product and don't deserve to have their work shunned.

you mean thespian legend Brian Thompson, right?

Call it a two-for-one.

Fun fact. In Terminator Genisys, the dude who did the Thompson role is my buddy.

source.gif

Nicolas Cage in Valley Girl

c3d64bd79f7b626b84bae16b296eb7f4.gif

Anna Karina in Vivre sa Vie

tumblr_nxjzd4Pzq61qfq2gno1_500.gif

Daniel Day-Lewis in My Beautiful Laundrette

tumblr_osm8fkHew81w1m0vpo3_500.gif

Michael Fassbinder in Hunger

tumblr_pev7b4x3Gm1x79ktmo2_r3_500.gif

Catherine Deneuve in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

giphy.gif

John Turturro in Barton Fink

tumblr_n5d5bpaHKu1r8bxs1o1_500.gif

David Thewlis in Naked

tumblr_oejqcoaA1z1qzs7uio5_r1_540.gif

Michael Stuhlbarg in A Serious Man

An easy way to complete the Top 5 is to simply post these shots:

upload_2019-8-14_18-0-29.jpeg . upload_2019-8-14_18-1-16.jpeg

I have a few more though....

1. Charlize in Two Days in the Valley
upload_2019-8-14_17-50-13.jpeg
You boyz are welcome :rolleyes:!

2. Michael Fassbender in 300
upload_2019-8-14_17-57-6.jpeg
This one was for me :p

3. Johnny in Nightmare on Elm Street
upload_2019-8-14_17-59-21.jpeg

4. Matt Damon in Mystic Pizza
upload_2019-8-14_18-5-8.jpeg

5. Skarsgard in Zoolander
upload_2019-8-14_18-6-57.jpeg

source.gif

Nicolas Cage in Valley Girl

c3d64bd79f7b626b84bae16b296eb7f4.gif

Anna Karina in Vivre sa Vie

tumblr_nxjzd4Pzq61qfq2gno1_500.gif

Daniel Day-Lewis in My Beautiful Laundrette

tumblr_osm8fkHew81w1m0vpo3_500.gif

Michael Fassbinder in Hunger

tumblr_pev7b4x3Gm1x79ktmo2_r3_500.gif

Catherine Deneuve in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

giphy.gif

John Turturro in Barton Fink

tumblr_n5d5bpaHKu1r8bxs1o1_500.gif

David Thewlis in Naked

tumblr_oejqcoaA1z1qzs7uio5_r1_540.gif

Michael Stuhlbarg in A Serious Man
oh jeez, how could i forget Clint Howard as Balok?? disregard list.
LirTuMu.gif

Right now Barton is the #4 film on my list for next week. But I'm not married to it, out of concern for how it would be received if it were to win.
it would give me a hernia if Barton Fink received anything but universal praise by the group.

it would give me a hernia if Barton Fink received anything but universal praise by the group.

I've always gotten the impression most would consider it top 7-10 for them. To me it's this and Lebowski for 1A & B.

I've always gotten the impression most would consider it top 7-10 for them. To me it's this and Lebowski for 1A & B.
ye of such little faith. for me it's Barton Fink & A Serious Man for 1A & B, w/ Fargo 1C because i'm too cowardly to draw a line in the sand

ye of such little faith. for me it's Barton Fink & A Serious Man for 1A & B, w/ Fargo 1C because i'm too cowardly to draw a line in the sand

I'll go with Fargo as 1C.

There was another film I preferred but forgot it, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the pep talk. :)

I try not to get sidetracked at work for hours, so I just cherry picked a TOP-3:

2. Mads Mikkelson in Pusher 2 - titanic performance in this shit. Mikkelson always delivers. It's a very sobering and unglamorous look at small time criminal life. It's Scandinavian so I feel like @Cole train probably had a cameo somewhere

FrmE99h.jpg

3. Ron Pearlam in Quest of Fire

He plays a Neanderthal in full make-up and gets way more into it than anybody else. The most Ron Pearlman way to start a career.

6ArzyG5.jpg

4. Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun - as someone who usually can't stand child actors I thought Bale was really great in this. Reminded me of Jean-Pierre Leaud back when he was a kid in The 400 Blows and shit

Empire-of-the-sun-2818646k.jpg

HM:
Divine in Mondo Trasho
johnwatersmondotrasho1969vhsri1.jpg

Kristin Davis in Doom Asylum
52dc5e2583b5f04e81723bd2d8d95488.jpg

The Ninth Gate might be the ultimate example of "I wish the same guy had directed this earlier in his career".
I'm really happy that for me Ninth Gate is a contemporary movie without a hint of retro. I don't think it would have such a realistic feel had it been made in 60's or 70's.

Btw, I just saw The Dark Song and loved it. Another ultra realistic occult horror title. I give it four Baphomets out of five.

I'm really happy that for me Ninth Gate is a contemporary movie without a hint of retro. I don't think it would have such a realistic feel had it been made in 60's or 70's.

Btw, I just saw The Dark Song and loved it. Another ultra realistic occult horror title. I give it four Baphomets out of five.

I didnt dislike it but to me its one of those films that just sort of pleasantly trundles along without every really building up to much of significance, when you compare that to say Repulsion or Rosemary's Baby that build up much more intense atmospheres it feels a younger Polanski would have done a much better job of it.

I didnt dislike it but to me its one of those films that just sort of pleasantly trundles along without every really building up to much of significance, when you compare that to say Repulsion or Rosemary's Baby that build up much more intense atmospheres it feels a younger Polanski would have done a much better job of it.
It's an occult road movie and should not be compared to claustrophobic stuff like Repulsion or Rosemary's Baby. As road movies should, it's about the journey and the encounters, but for me the climax was a mindblower.

The end was quite nicely done I'd agree with Langella almost going full Skelator but surely being a film with a lot of travel shouldn't preclude building atmosphere and tension.

The end was quite nicely done I'd agree with Langella almost going full Skelator but surely being a film with a lot of travel shouldn't preclude building atmosphere and tension.
For me it's on the contrary. If Ninth Gate would have been filled with ominous and oppressive moods like for example Angel Heart, it would have been another bundle of horror cliches, which Polanski is obviously trying to avoid. The naturalistic approach makes the ending all the more effective.

Choose

1.See Depp descend into satanic paranoia
2.See Depp double check his paperwork

Choose

1.See Depp descend into satanic paranoia
2.See Depp double check his paperwork
Witness Depp taking unknowingly the path of an infernal initiate. See him stepping through The Nine Gates while the miscellaneous wanna-be occultists he meets fall from glory one by one. Learn, that you can’t outsource the journey and that one needs to walk the walk. Speculate what is the purpose of this centuries old satanic lure to get a man initiated this way.

upload_2019-8-15_20-27-6.jpeg

Back