SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 141 movie!

Let's pick the week 141 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
article-0-14BB0241000005DC-592_468x311.jpg

Might be too late but children of men

I'm extending the vote with 6 hours since the bat-signal didn't work.

Simpsons are awesome although I'm kinda tired of them at this point.

So sad that they stopped making episodes after Season 14. :cool:

Europe loves Raymond?

It was one of those shows that I loved as a kid. I was going to go with Married With Children, but somehow I thought that Raymond would be the more dignified answer.

What I should have picked instead:

250px-TheOuterLimits-Screenshot-old.jpg

How about Spartacus?

Yeah, first-season Spartacus was pretty darn great. It plummeted in quality as quickly as a falling piano, though.

The Critic was a Simpsons spin-off, featuring Jon Lovitz as a film critic, his role from the film festival episode of the Simpsons. It was written and produced by two Simpsons writers. Only lasted two seasons.

Being Swedish and having access to like 5% of American TV-shows, I just assumed that the Simpsons episode was a cross-over with another existing cartoon-series that we never got over here. Then, when they actually made the series, I got even more confused.:p

The scary thing about Orson Welles is that his parodies aren't even as funny as the actual commercials.
ThornyLimpBichonfrise-size_restricted.gif

UnhappySecretIndianpangolin-small.gif

1. Lost - Just go right ahead and give me shit. Don't care. I loved the ending. I loved the show so much, we flew to Honolulu to watch the premier on the beach and I got to fangirl over all of the cast! Season 3 when all the writers went o strike was a horrible time for me.

Lost -- creating mystery without having any answers in mind. If pressed, just create another mystery!

Blackadder has been coming up a lot. I may need to check that one out.

Truly, you do.

anigif_enhanced-10715-1402334391-9.gif

First Season isn't nearly as good as the remaining 3 ones though.

Before naming myself europe1, I was going to go with Lord Flashheart.

anigif_enhanced-9771-1402333202-1.gif

We need a werewolf week.
  • An American Werewolf in London
  • Full Moon High
  • The Howling II
  • Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man

Props for picking out Howling II instead of The Howling:cool:

tumblr_p38013J5DE1qezx74o1_400.gif

Blackadder has been coming up a lot. I may need to check that one out. Have never heard of The Dekalog. I'll have to check it out.

I'd actually recommend starting Blackadder with series 2, that's really were it hit on its best formula and because each series is the same characters as desendants of themselves in different time periods you don't need to have watched all of them to jump in.

The Dekalog is by the same guy as the Three Colours films if you've seen those but 10 separate hour long dramas in the same tower block. I have to admit watching that did highlight the difference between TV series that get called cinematic and really top draw cinema made in a TV format.

Sorry ya'll, I've been mighty preoccupied. I'll take Children Of Men.

Just realized my favorite tv shows are mostly sitcoms. Not sure what that says about my attention span...
1. Star Trek
giphy.gif

2. Newsradio
tumblr_nw8ygt9EiW1ufl1nbo1_500.gif

3. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
1466086179-sweet-dee-sunny-philadelphia5.gif

4. True Blood
cpglbgb.gif

5. Seinfeld
c7e360fd28bd89d76d472158bd9e58a9.gif

HM:
All In The Family
PerfumedBrokenKestrel-max-1mb.gif

Married With Children
lQFAhqP.gif

The Larry Sanders Show
1C6e.gif

Entourage
mJy.gif

Cool. I think I'll give it a try. Do you think I could also skip from 17, or do I need to watch the not so good episodes for the context.....I guess I could read recaps for those episodes.
I think you'd be fine just reading the recaps. Kind of depends on how you take to the series, maybe you'll be curious enough to want to watch it all for yourself. After episode 17 you could potentially skip to episode 28, that and the following episode will at least set up the finale for you.

Keep in mind that there is also a film released in 1992. It was highly divisive among the fandom. Personally I loved it, but not after the first time I watched it.
This was a very hard week for me coz Y tu mamá también is one of my all time favourite films @chickenluver. I started off wanting that one to win. I didn't think it would, so I'm excited it got a couple of votes. I am super torn between the two finalists so I may let the club decide. They are such different films. I watched the first 20 minutes of Roma (the only one I have not seen) and it did not help me decide. One thing is for sure, the movies will elicit diametrically different discussions.
I haven't actually seen Y tu mama tambien or Roma. The former has been on the watch list for a while.

guess me & @chickenluver were the only cool ones to vote Y tu mama tambien. Roma would have been my #2 & I’m just glad Children of Men didn’t win because I’ve seen it a million times.

Better Bull-late than never, right @Tufts? So, top TV shows. I don't imagine we'll have many occasions in the Sherdog Movie Club to talk about TV, so if y'all want to interrogate me on my picks, have at it. For the record, I prefer splitting TV up between dramatic series and sitcoms. That said:

GOAT Dramatic Series

1) Hannibal (NBC) - Absolutely mindblowing. I've posted about this show a lot on here if anyone's curious, including in the threads that were up and running while the show was airing. This is what perfection looks like. And the Season 2 finale is the single greatest episode of TV that's ever aired.

2) Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (Fox) - As close to Hannibal as a "close second" can be. For me, the Terminator universe consists of the first two films and this amazing series. Fuck Blade Runner, fuck Ex Machina, no film or TV show has ever dug under the synthetic skin of AIs/robots/androids/cyborgs/what have you this imaginatively, this intelligently, and this emotionally. Amazing writing, amazing acting, and a beautiful and poetic ending.

3) The Newsroom (HBO) - If I ever meet him, I'll have to seriously fight the urge not to hug Aaron Sorkin. I fucking love that man and The Newsroom is his crowning achievement. GOAT Pilot episode and GOAT debut season. The third season suffered from production problems and backstage battles, so the slight dip in quality is why this isn't #1, because the first two seasons are flawless.

4) Oz (HBO) - The show that forever changed shows. Oz kicked open the doors that everyone since has walked through with no respect for the OG. If you can name a more intense series then it's proof that you don't understand what the word "intense" means.

5) The Sopranos (HBO) - One of the richest lead characters ever conceived (performed brilliantly, needless to say), a phenomenal ensemble cast, and brilliant writing from beginning to fade-to-black end. And I'm one of the ones who says that that ending is one of the best endings to a show, if not the best ending to a show, in the history of TV.

Honorable Mentions (Chronological Order): Law & Order (NBC), Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (NBC), The West Wing (NBC), The Shield (FX), Carnivàle (HBO), Battlestar Galactica (Sci-Fi), House (Fox), Burn Notice (USA), Flashpoint (CTV/CBS), The Mentalist (CBS), Human Target (Fox), Luther (BBC), Elementary (CBS).

Overrated Garbage (Chronological Order): The Wire (HBO), Breaking Bad (AMC), Sons of Anarchy (FX), Game of Thrones (HBO), True Detective (HBO).

GOAT Sitcoms

1) Seinfeld (NBC) - Unlike with Hannibal, Seinfeld has no close second. It has no competition. It has no peers. It is far and away the GOAT sitcom. Unparalleled genius in the writing and ridiculously amazing acting from the regulars down to the most minuscule guest spots. Not even a question.

2) Everybody Loves Raymond (CBS) - GOAT family sitcom. Brilliant writing, phenomenal ensemble acting, and the play-like pacing and shooting really lets you live and breathe with that family.

3) Friends (NBC) - The hype is real. For some reason, it's become really popular to shit on this show, but the writing was consistently brilliant, they managed to switch between zany comedy and some at times heavy emotionality with commendable ease, and the ensemble cast is arguably the GOAT sitcom ensemble.

4) The King of Queens (CBS) - Doug and Carrie are the GOAT sitcom couple IMO. Incredibly sharp writing from beginning to end and Jerry Stiller's work throughout is possibly the best supporting work in sitcom history. Arthur Spooner is hands down one of the funniest characters in TV land.

5) The Nanny (CBS) - Undoubtedly the most underrated sitcom of all-time. Wickedly hysterical writing throughout and the GOAT "Will they or won't they?" (non-)relationship in sitcom history with a fantastic payoff.

Honorable Mentions (Chronological Order): The Larry Sanders Show (HBO), Boy Meets World (ABC), NewsRadio (NBC), Just Shoot Me! (NBC), South Park (Comedy Central), Freaks and Geeks (NBC), Family Guy (Fox), Yes, Dear (CBS), Two and a Half Men (CBS), The War at Home (Fox), The Office (NBC), Cougar Town (ABC/TBS), New Girl (Fox).

Overrated Garbage (Chronological Order): That 70s Show (Fox), It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX), How I Met Your Mother (CBS), The Big Bang Theory (CBS), Modern Family (ABC).

And then, last but most certainly not least, my all-time most favoritest beloved TV series:

giphy.gif

Just realized my favorite tv shows are mostly sitcoms. Not sure what that says about my attention span...
1. Star Trek
giphy.gif

2. Newsradio
tumblr_nw8ygt9EiW1ufl1nbo1_500.gif

3. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
1466086179-sweet-dee-sunny-philadelphia5.gif

4. True Blood
cpglbgb.gif

5. Seinfeld
c7e360fd28bd89d76d472158bd9e58a9.gif

HM:
All In The Family
PerfumedBrokenKestrel-max-1mb.gif

Married With Children
lQFAhqP.gif

The Larry Sanders Show
1C6e.gif

Entourage
mJy.gif

Oooh. I forgot about True Blood. I was a fan as well. I actually read the books first, and they were waaaaaaay more intense than the show. Poor Sookie got beyond brutalized.

1) Hannibal (NBC) - Absolutely mindblowing. I've posted about this show a lot on here if anyone's curious, including in the threads that were up and running while the show was airing. This is what perfection looks like. And the Season 2 finale is the single greatest episode of TV that's ever aired.

Agreed that this was a great show. I have never seen such beautiful disconcerting depictions of violence before. And there is still a little hope for a season 4....

https://screenrant.com/mads-mikkelsen-hannibal-season-4-update/

Back