SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 141 movie!

Let's pick the week 141 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

2qqz5z.jpg

Tufts de Sangre speaks!

Here is the third and final installment of my Spanish-speaking director nominations; Alfonso Cuarón. I am including four movies that show his range as a director (and except for one, as a writer) starting with a Spanish-speaking road film, to the best of a blockbuster children/YA’s series, to an awesome science fiction flick, to his latest work, that I do not know. I purposely did not include Gravity as I think we have all seen it, and it is his best known, most successful film that netted him two Oscars. You do have choices though, choices between his blockbuster Hollywood style movies and his more national Mexican films, a choice of languages, and a choice of color v black and white.

In chronological order....coz that is the only way to present a filmography! And unlike Cubo and Muster, I am not trying to influence anyone!

Y Tu Mamá También (2001)

Director: Alfonso Cuarón

Stars: Maribel Verdú, Gael García Bernal, Daniel Giménez Cacho

Premise: In Mexico, two teenage boys and an attractive older woman embark on a road trip and learn a thing or two about life, friendship, sex, and each other.

Why @Tufts picked it: My first nomination is my favourite film by Cuarón from 2011: Y Tu Mamá También. The two cuties who star in it went on to become two of the more widely respected actors in Spanish (and some English) language films today. Cuarón wrote, produced and directed this coming of age road film. He also received an Academy Award nomination for best original script.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

Stars: Swiz Army Man, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint

Premise: It's Harry's third year at Hogwarts; not only does he have a new "Defense Against the Dark Arts" teacher, but there is also trouble brewing. Convicted murderer Sirius Black has escaped the Wizards' Prison and is coming after Harry.

Why @Tufts picked it: My second nomination is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004). Cuarón directed this third installment of the books and it is, in my opinion, the best film in the Harry Potter verse. Rowling hand-chose him to direct the film. Cuarón had never read the books, but after reading them, agreed to do the work, and did it beautifully. I wonder if he read the entire series. I hope so coz they kept getting better and better.

Children of Men (2006)

Stars: Julianne Moore, Clive Owen, Chiwetel Ejiofor

Premise: In 2027, in a chaotic world in which women have become somehow infertile, a former activist agrees to help transport a miraculously pregnant woman to a sanctuary at sea.

Why @Tufts picked it: My third nomination is Children of Men (2006). Cuarón wrote and directed this film. I love everything about this film and think it would be fun to discuss. I just rewatched the 6 minute continuous shot and it made me want to watch the movie again. Cuarón was nominated for two academy awards for this film and it is available on Netflix.

Roma (2018)

Stars: Yalitza Aparicio, Marina de Tavira, Diego Cortina Autrey

Premise: A year in the life of a middle-class family's maid in Mexico City in the early 1970s.

Why @Tufts picked it: My final nomination is Cuaron’s latest film, Roma (2018). It is available on Netflix and has been nominated for three Golden Globes and one Oscar. I have not seen this movie so I cannot vouch for it. It seems very different from anything else he has done. I would like to see it, but would be just as happy rewatching any of the prior three. This film is semi autobiographical, in black and white and in Spanish :D

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @IGotAHugePeckah @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @ArtemV @Bullitt68 @HenryFlower @Nailgun @Rimbaud82 @BeardotheWeirdo @Zer

This Weeks Top Theme: "Top 5 TV-Series!"

In chronological order....coz that is the only way to present a filmography! And unlike Cubo and Muster, I am not trying to influence anyone!

My first nomination is my favourite film by Cuarón

tenor.gif

EDIT: I know that I showed that meme-image during the previous Tufts week. I had another one in mind but couldn't find it so I just defaulted to that. It was a behind the scenes image of The Howling (I think) where the lead lady is script-reading with a werewolf.

Last edited:
Great picks man one ive been itching to see and one i just added to the list last night. Would be cool with either. I'll actually do the themes too:

Game of thrones
Breaking bad
The sopranos
True detective (even with the crapfest of season 2)
?

#5 would take more thinking but the first 4 are super easy to me.

• The Wire
  • Ash Vs. The Evil Dead
  • Hannibal
  • Seinfeld
  • Breaking Bad

TV-series

1. Simpsons
2. Mystery Science Theater 3000
3. Blackadder
I really don't watch many TV-series. It was something I almost exclusively did as a kid.
4. Game of Thrones?
5. Everybody loves Raymond?

Deadwood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Nathan for You
Hannibal
Atlanta

I honestly don’t watch a lot of tv series.

1) Gordon Ramsay Kitchen Nightmares is the goat

Game of Thrones is ok sometimes, too

I still haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies, or read the books.

Favourite TV shows...

1) The Simpsons
2) South Park
3) The Walking Dead (lol, the themes are really interesting, and I like gore)
4) Bob's Burgers
5) The Critic (love their movie spoofs)

tumblr_m52bm9L4dx1qcd476o2_500.gif

I was more of a Fawlty Towers and Mr. Bean guy. Blackadder was my moms favourite show, still awesome though.

I still haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies, or read the books.

The HP franchise is an interesting thing. The books get progressively better and better. The first one was written for children, the last one is pretty close to being fully adult in nature. I love the world Rowling created and her character development is superb. The movies get progressively better too, but the third one is by far the best. I read a lot of Young Adult books though. It is amazing what is out there these days!

Game of thrones
Breaking bad
The sopranos
True detective (even with the crapfest of season 2)

Love love love GoT. Especially the last few seasons. I was standing a foot from the TV jumping up and down when we first got to see the ice dragon. I am pretty darn excited over this season, and I wish old boy would finish the freaking books. I was a reader before a watcher.

Breaking Bad took me a little while to get into. It was very original when it came out and presented some of the most brutal scenes I've ever seen in a totally laid back way. Like when Walter let Jesse's girlfriend overdose in bed. It led us to watch Better Call Saul, which I also enjoy.

Sopranos were classic. I was a big fan

True Detective rocked season one. I agree with your categorization of Season 2. Season 3 looks like it has some potential.

• The Wire
  • Ash Vs. The Evil Dead
  • Hannibal
  • Seinfeld
  • Breaking Bad

The Wire! Yes! Only series we have chosen to watch twice, amIrite?
Your next four choices are favorites too, but I feel like they would be lower on my list.

The Wire! Yes! Only series we have chosen to watch twice, amIrite?

Yes. I'd watch reruns as a kid, but this is the only show I watched from start to finish a second time. GOAT TV series.

Top 5 TV Series

I'll be honest, I haven't gotten around to watching a lot TV series from the 80s or earlier like Cheers or Taxi, just because of the lack of availability until hulu came around. There's a lot to pick from.

1) Breaking Bad
2) Better Call Saul
3) The Wire
4) South Park
5) It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

HM: Game of Thrones, The Shield, The Sopranos, The Office (U.S. Version), Deadwood, Star Trek TNG, The Americans
DM: Simpsons, Seinfeld - the hardest of passes on those two, and also pass on Friends too

May I rejoin? I'd like a voice in this race.

Wild Tales review coming later tonight.

Top 5 TV series:

1. I, Claudius
2. Scenes from a Marriage
3. Mushi-shi
4. FLCL
5. Twin Peaks (as a whole)

Honorable mentions: South Park, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Ricky and Morty, Rome, The Little Drummer Girl

May I rejoin?

I know you couldn't stand freedom for long.

giphy.gif

You know. This is the third time you've joined. That means you and @Coolthulu split the record:D

I'd like a voice in this race.

Sry. We've adopted a new rule since you left. People who join mid-vote don't get their votes counted. I tried to stop it but, you know, democracy.

Wild Tales review coming later tonight.

Just the kind of bribe I need to let you back in.:cool:

HomerSimpson-250x300.png

I luve Rome. Had completely forgotten about it.

New List:

1. Simpsons
2. MST3k
3 Blackadder
4. Rome
5 ???

5. Oz
4. The Wire
3. The Sopranos
2. Breaking Bad
1. Game of Thrones

True Detective rocked season one.
Good, sure, but all-time great status? I'm not so sure. One part of the end of that season really bothered me - the main character took an axe full on to the chest, and lived. Nope.

I agree with your categorization of Season 2.
As good as the first season was is as bad as the second season was. The Taylor Kitsch effect.

Season 3 looks like it has some potential.
It does, but I'm most surprised Stephen Dorff is still getting high level work anymore.

Back