Share your thoughts about touching gloves after the bell rings.

It's so fucking stupid to do it at the start of the first round. I have no idea when it was started (I don't think that happens in boxing). I touch gloves when I'm sparring, because it's like saying, hey buddy, we're going to go hard but I'm not here to hurt you, just want to get good work in.

In a real fight, I touch gloves after the ref's instructions, because it's like saying, I respect you, I'm going to try to beat the shit out of you, but I'm not really trying to cause permanent damage. But then why again after the first bell just seconds later!!??? Fucking stupid.

I also get touching glove before the last round, because it's saying, let's celebrate that we both gave great effort this whole long fight, let's end it on a professional, good note before we find out who loses and one of us might be too disappointed to want to shake hands maybe because the decision was bullshit.

Most fighters aren't going to stop because it's now tradition, but it's stupid to do it right after touching gloves after ref's instructions, only to do it seconds later again.

Last edited:
You do a hundred rounds of sparring and touching gloves.
Then you do 1-5 rounds for cash. Guess what you are used to do?

People that hate it the most, are mostly the ones that never sparred a round in their life.

Well, looks like I'm the exact opposite. Read my above post. I always touch gloves sparring because it's friendly (most likely I know you) and we're just trying to improve each other, not trying to hurt each other. In a real fight, I'm trying to render you unconscious (and you're not my friend) so I can win so, no, I don't like to touch gloves again and again outside of after ref instructions and very last round.

IMO fighters do it strategically to prevent an instant KO a la Masvidal/Askren

It's so fucking stupid to do it at the start of the first round. I have no idea why. I touch gloves when I'm sparring, because it's like say, hey buddy, we're going to go hard but I'm not here to hurt you, just want to get good work in.

In a real fight, I touch gloves after the ref's instructions, because it's like saying, I respect you, I'm going to try to beat the shit out of you, but I'm not really trying to cause permanent damage. But then why again after the first bell just seconds later!!??? Fucking stupid.

I also get touching glove before the last round, because it's saying, let's celebrate that we both gave great effort this whole long fight, let's end it on a professional, good note before we find out who loses and one of us might be too disappointed to want to shake hands.

Most fighters aren't going to stop because it's now tradition, but it's stupid to do it right after touching gloves after ref's instructions, only to do it seconds later again.

This exactly. Also, by walking up to someone with your hand raised trying to touch gloves, you could bring some of your opponents that had a killer game plan like Masdival had, in a dilemma of not wanting to attack you. Can you imagine Ben Askren walking up to Masdival trying to touch gloves? Masdival probably doesn't gives a fuck and he would execute his game plan nevertheless , but I am certain that other fighters could be brought in to a dilemma or even a little doubt, and would have a hard time executing their plan from the get go if they see someone trying to touch gloves.

It shows respect & is a perfect way to get into range early without getting hit.

Depends, I personally don’t like it. However some people do it out of respect for the martial arts and I know some fighters who use it to gauge their opponents reach.

<{titihmm}>
Rose used it against Andrade. Literally a second after she didn't move and popped her with a hard jab. I'm honestly surprised nobody gave her shit for it even her detractors. I'm fairly neutral on her but I just thought it was a vet move and also a POS move.

Back