Share your thoughts about touching gloves after the bell rings.

and 68 others like this

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
How do you feel about touching gloves at the start of a fight or round? And would you boo the fighter that ignores it and goes for the kill while his opponent has his hand out expecting a fist bump? Also, does anyone know where and when this touching gloves thing started?

I just thought about it again after seeing Vato Studio's last video where he showed a part of Khabib vs Dustin where Khabib didn't want to touch gloves.

Time stamped:

Askren wanted to touch gloves vs Masvidal.

;)

Korean Zombie would've won without the high 5s and hugging shit

It's fine. I get why fighters do it, and I get why some fighters won't do it. Nothing to fix here.

It's bush league to take a cheap shot while someone is offering it, but always defend yourself.

I think touching gloves when the ref asks about it before the main event is SUPER NECESSARY. It has zero to do with your opponent, it's about respecting the sport and the rule set.

In the first round, right after the fight clock has started, it's kind of OK - definitely OK for non-main event fights who don't get the ref intro. But the Nate Diaz "nope" is much preferred.

Touching gloves in the following rounds is super gay. And if you're touching gloves or HUGGING in the middle of the fight - even if it's after a groin strike as an apology - should qualify for a double DQ. And both fighters should be on UFC Fight Pass Early Prelims for their next 10 fights.

Last edited:
Depends, I personally don’t like it. However some people do it out of respect for the martial arts and I know some fighters who use it to gauge their opponents reach.

<{titihmm}>

Before the bell, Yes. Once the bell has gone, No. Protect yourself at all times.

I think it's unnecessary and wouldn't do it. It means both fighters are agreeing to a fairly contested and honorable fight. I think it makes certain fighters comfortable. I just think it's corny when one fighter is standing on the opposite side of the cage holding their fist up like, 'hey....lets touch gloves when we get out there'.

I like Nick Diaz approach. He realizes it's a fight with another man that wants to hurt him very badly. why so friendly?

Some Israeli guy in the Bellator card before last came out fast and went right to some sort of leg lock sub while his opponent had his glove out waiting for the touch. Seemed sort of cheap, but, as they say, always be ready to defend yourself. I'd like it to be the norm that you come out fighting so everyone is on the same page.

I think its cool pre fight and maybe in the last round. But you're opening yourself up there.

Dont like it. The ref starts the fight if you wanna touch gloves do it now, before the contest. Touch then, thats fine. Touching gloves during a contest is stupid.

Some Israeli guy in the Bellator card before last came out fast and went right to some sort of leg lock sub while his opponent had his glove out waiting for the touch. Seemed sort of cheap, but, as they say, always be ready to defend yourself. I'd like it to be the norm that you come out fighting so everyone is on the same page.

Is that the guy that is shown in the video?

they definitely need to stop hugging, i don't care if it's the best fight of all fucking time, get outta here with that shit.

But where did this even start? And when? Surly there must be a combat sports historian here on Sherdog.

But where did this even start? And when? Surly there must be a combat sports historian here on Sherdog.
My understanding is it's a sparing tradition that has transitioned over into actual fights. When I used to box, you always started out a sparring round with a touch of the gloves. Not sure when it started with fights. I don't remember pro boxers doing it back in the day.

they definitely need to stop hugging, i don't care if it's the best fight of all fucking time, get outta here with that shit.

I want to see someone trying to hug and get KO'd cold.

You do a hundred rounds of sparring and touching gloves.
Then you do 1-5 rounds for cash. Guess what you are used to do?

People that hate it the most, are mostly the ones that never sparred a round in their life.

Back