Setting up a tv. Need a little help.

D Train

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So I got a new Sharp Roku TV. Nothing fancy. Should be easy to set up. However, it won’t receive a signal from my DirectTV box (which is plugged in via HDMI). I know DirectTV is working because other TVs are working just fine.
I’ve tried all HDMI ports and new HDMI cables.
I’ve tried resetting everything.
I’m pretty much out of ideas so if anyone has suggestions I’m all ears.

Unplug it and plug it back in

Do you have it connected to a soundbar or external speaker system? Sometimes the video along with the audio has to pass through it so you might have to switch it to the output hdmi port rather than input. Kind of counter-intuitive.

have you tried turning the TV on? if its not on then it wont show anything fyi

You sure the particular box it's plugged into is working?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

So I got a new Sharp Roku TV. Nothing fancy. Should be easy to set up. However, it won’t receive a signal from my DirectTV box (which is plugged in via HDMI). I know DirectTV is working because other TVs are working just fine.
I’ve tried all HDMI ports and new HDMI cables.
I’ve tried resetting everything.
I’m pretty much out of ideas so if anyone has suggestions I’m all ears.

Roku TV's default to Roku. Be sure to change the default to DirecTv or it will start in Roku every time. Also, try a new cable. HDMI are fragile and break easily.

Is it possible the Direct TV doesn't recognize the Roku TV as a TV so won't output the video?

I'm thinking this because various streaming apps on iPod allow Lightning HDMI out, but not ESPN+.

@Clippy is the most knowledgeable and mechanically inclined poster on sherdog. Maybe he can weigh in on the subject and offer you some assistance.

Roku TV's default to Roku. Be sure to change the default to DirecTv or it will start in Roku every time. Also, try a new cable. HDMI are fragile and break easily.
I agree. I would search for updates for the TV and download any of those first through wifi. Then swap hdmi cables with one that’s currently in use and functional. Then a total unplug and reboot of the main receiver.

Repeatedly.

Box is working just fine. It’s the main receiver the other boxes work off of.

Seems a lot of people have had issues with Roku TVs not recognizing HDMI inputs. Weird.
Did you see if there's a firmware update for your TV? Maybe the TV's not communicating it's a TV w/the Direct TV box.

Shuffle through the hdmi ports again.
I've had a similar problem with att's DirecTV and uverse before, the entire signal or just audio stops and switching around the hdmi ports worked.
Had the audio go out on one tv this past Sunday, switched up the ports and audio eventually came back.

WJKq4kB.gif

Did you try a different HDMI cord? Could be that it got damaged when it was being unplugged or plugged back in.

Back