• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Serious Philosophy Discussion

Great discussion. Is there really a difference between good and bad philosophy as suggested? After all philosophy is simply asking questions that many never be answered.

There's good questions and bad questions

And contradicted that claim in his very next post......
tenor.gif

Gonna jump in here. Philosophy is the exploration of truth

Reality is truth. You're just muddying the waters so as to be able to bullshit about it without rebuke. Imo, no offence intended.

No, philosophy is the study of reality.

The confusion, which many who adhere to the subject, including some ITT suffer is that they believe it to be appropriate or acceptable to argue from ignorance.

In the past we didn't have the ability to know so much about our fundamental nature and that of reality and as a result many schools of thought were born in the vacuum. People now gaze endlessly at their navels and those of philosophers past as a pastime in itself. A sort of historical thought game.

Science is philosophy, with our current tools arrayed in its pursuit. Reference to studies and research is almost all that is relevant but 'philosophy fans' persist in the game of historical theory snobbery.

That would be metaphysics you clown. Which is one part of philosophy. The study of ethics is not the study of reality for example.

You have wandered into a bad part of town and are ill prepared to be here man.

<GSPWoah>

I wandered into that part of town where people take a weird satisfaction from listening to their philosophical mumbo jumbo with some verbose citations thrown inbetween

Reality is truth. You're just muddying the waters so as to be able to bullshit about it without rebuke. Imo, no offence intended.

Yes, if reality is truth. Anything that exists in reality is truth. Including religion. The existence of it proves it is true.

<GSPWoah>

I wandered into that part of town where people take a weird satisfaction from listening to their philosophical mumbo jumbo with some verbose citations thrown inbetween

I did not mean to start anything with you man its just that you came into a thread bagging on philosophy by making philosophical claims and some of the guys on here (not me) are pretty educated on the subject and you are clearly ill prepared.

Where do mathematics and abstract concepts fit into reality? Space and time are not real. Our theories are not real. They are models. They are supernumerary. A product of a commentating intelligence. Natural selection does not actually exist. It is a theory by a commentating intelligence.

Causality does not even exist. It is not a physical thing. It is a commentary on how physical things interact. Without that commentary, it does not exist. A tree falling in the woods without humans does not make a sound because our abstract theories wouldn't exist to explain it.

I don't know man. Richard Dawkins has made some pretty stupid statements when waxing philosophical and he is a scientist. I may have misunderstood you but if you are saying philosophy is dead or purposeless I think you are being wrong headed and confusing your lack of interest in the subject for a universal.

I may have misunderstood you though.

I'd be surprised if everyone didn't say stupid things, we are only human after all. Philosophy is not dead, but it branched from philosophy into two:

The study and discussion of reality as informed by every means necessary.

And

Historical philosophy fan discussion untethered from reality.

There are people who study philosophy now, metaphysics and the like who don't have any understanding or interest in science. It was never supposed to be an art but that's largely what it's become. People who are unqualified to wax lyrical on the matter regurgitating lines from men long dead who's suppositions were based on long eclipsed understand of reality.

Where do mathematics and abstract concepts fit into reality? Space and time are not real. Our theories are not real. They are models. They are supernumerary. A product of a commentating intelligence. Natural selection does not actually exist. It is a theory by a commentating intelligence.

What do you mean, where do they fit?

Of course, everything is probabilities, we use the most effective model until it's superseded by something more accurate.

Reality as subjectively perceived by individuals? Or some universal objective reality? If the later, how is it discovered?

Basically those with an ability in mathematics do the real scientific work and those that don't have the ability indulge themselves in philosophy history.

Back