• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Serious Philosophy Discussion

I know that I'm going out of order, but this part from one of your recent posts is the main theme of your posts, so I'll start with this and respond by saying: Truth isn't what you think it is, that's for sure.

The only way that they're "not real" is if you have a seriously bizarre definition of "real."

I don't think that you realize that the way that you've formulated this nonsense proves that it's nonsense. Whether or not we're here to construct theories to explain "it" - whatever "it" is from example to example, whether a tree falling down in this example or the phenomenon of causality in your previous example - the very fact that you're speaking of an "it" to be explained presupposes the (real, truthful) existence of said "it."

The premise is based on me not being here at all so i could say nothing about anything. There would be no "its" to speak of. A non existing or dead thing knows nothing of your jargon. If humans don't exist, their thoughts don't exist. Pretty simple.

Last edited:
You'll have to be more specific. Are we talking about someone in a persistent vegetative state, someone who's deteriorating and for whom there's no possibility of survival, someone for whom brain activity is limited to mere sensation of physical pain? In this case, this person has dropped below the level of humanity (hence the term "vegetable") and if it's not medically possible to bring that person back to humanity then that person is for all intents and purposes dead. Of course, if I'm that person, I'd hope that my family would exhaust every possibility before pulling the plug, but if there's nothing to be done, then isn't this essentially the same as the example of The Grey? There's nothing to fight against, there's no fight to be won, so there's no logic in fighting.

But if we're talking about a quadriplegic, or a cancer patient doing chemo, or Ronnie Coleman from his Netflix doc, or any shit like that, that's still life and I'll take it.

I'm talking about someone with a late-stage brain tumour that's undergoing chemo and is still conscious enough to know they're in pain and communicate briefly in their better moments, but has as a result of the tumour and the chemo lost some cognitive ability, is unable partake in activities they once found enjoyable or even focus on much of anything for any extended period. The tumour is in an area of the brain that is causing significant changes to their personality and as a result is changing the essence of who that person is. Do you think that's a life worth living or would you claim that's not a life in some sense?

WIlliam James would agree.

Ok...then James, Carroll, and I all disagree with you. Your position regarding truth and its alleged nonexistence isn't corroborated by James and quoting someone who it seems disagrees with what you're quoting him to corroborate doesn't constitute a valid defense against my critique of the illogic subtending your position.

There would be no "its" to speak of.

"There would be no 'its' to speak of" ≠ "There would be no 'its.'" You're going from "No people to talk about anything" to "No anything." That's silly.

I'm talking about someone with a late-stage brain tumour that's undergoing chemo and is still conscious enough to know they're in pain and communicate briefly in their better moments, but has as a result of the tumour and the chemo lost some cognitive ability, is unable partake in activities they once found enjoyable or even focus on much of anything for any extended period. The tumour is in an area of the brain that is causing significant changes to their personality and as a result is changing the essence of who that person is. Do you think that's a life worth living or would you claim that's not a life in some sense?

I don't know, man. If I'm in-and-out but still "in" enough times and long enough to enjoy a movie here and there, then I'd probably be in to the bitter end - leaving open as a possibility, of course, me singing a different tune in the unfortunate event that I actually have to put this to the test some day.

I don't know, man. If I'm in-and-out but still "in" enough times and long enough to enjoy a movie here and there, then I'd probably be in to the bitter end - leaving open as a possibility, of course, me singing a different tune in the unfortunate event that I actually have to put this to the test some day.
That's fair. I can understand trying to see the positive side of things when you're not experiencing that kind of suffering and can't relate to it in a visceral way, as long as you acknowledge your perspective might change were you to find yourself in that situation.

Ok...then James, Carroll, and I all disagree with you. Your position regarding truth and its alleged nonexistence isn't corroborated by James and quoting someone who it seems disagrees with what you're quoting him to corroborate doesn't constitute a valid defense against my critique of the illogic subtending your position.

"There would be no 'its' to speak of" ≠ "There would be no 'its.'" You're going from "No people to talk about anything" to "No anything." That's silly.

No, because everything we say about the universe is commentary. The universe exists. Things exist. It is only when we start wrapping thoughts and abstract theories around these things that exist do we get into trouble. We are commentators of the universe. Take way the commentator and you take away the commentary. And by commentary I mean our philosophies, scientific theories and all other abstract things. I am a nominalist.

That's fair. I can understand trying to see the positive side of things when you're not experiencing that kind of suffering and can't relate to it in a visceral way, as long as you acknowledge your perspective might change were you to find yourself in that situation.

Of course. I may be relentlessly truculent, but I'm not dogmatic :cool:

The universe exists. Things exist.

Then so do truths about the universe and about things.

It is only when we start wrapping thoughts and abstract theories around these things that exist do we get into trouble.

I'm not disputing that humans are fallible.

We are commentators of the universe.

Not disputing this either.

Take way the commentator and you take away the commentary.

Not disputing this either, except that I still want to add the point that you seem unable/unwilling to acknowledge, which is that taking away the commentators and the commentaries doesn't take away the things being commented on. Not being around to comment on a tree falling down doesn't mean that the tree didn't fall down. That's nonsense.

I am a nominalist.

I'll try not to hold that against you so long as you don't say silly things ;)

Fair enough. But people like Carl Rogers, while they wouldn't just tell everyone how to "manipulate problems," would tell specific people how to manipulate their problems, right? It's case-by-case, but you can still determine better/worse and right/wrong case-by-case, no?

Well let me qualify by saying initially that I'm not a therapist and I was never trained as a therapist, but rather in the basics of experimental psychology. Hence my emphasis on good science and disdain for therapy.

To answer your question - you can of course offer guidance case-by-case, but it would be done on an individualistic basis not typically generalized to what would constitute a scientific truth about mankind in general (or you try to generalize and end up with a theory of uncooperative tit angles in the fridge mothers of anal-stage infants, or something like that). What's most important is that the client gets to where they want to go.

If you read the DSM, a qualifying condition (or one of them) for many diagnoses is significant interference with the client's daily life. I don't really have a substance addiction until the behaviour stemming from that addiction starts to fuck up my day-to-day. Now I can treat the addiction with the goal of restoring the day-to-day, and there's all sorts of good science about how to do that. There's less about how or why the day-to-day was problem in the first place. There's plenty of talk about it, but less science about it. It may not after all be a scientific question.

I don't mean to say that good clinicians haven't documented valuable observations about people from their practice. Just that they bring philosophical baggage to the practice, whether they know it or not, and the baggage can't be evaluated in the terms of psychological science. In other words, I can't answer whether your client is behaving in a psychologically healthy manner when they "manipulate their thoughts" without knowing your (or Freud's, or Rogers') philosophy of psychological health.

A close friend of mine with a Philosophy Ph.D. does a bit of work now as a "philosophical counselor" (I actually was a client of hers, but we became friends when she decided I was beyond redemption). Her approach struck me as much more systematic then other therapists who used a grab-bag of hackneyed psychological tactics - it was a lot about examining one's understanding of the world and correcting potential errors before doing anything else. I think you'd like it.

One of the major tenets of Objectivism is that there's no such thing as a "strictly logical" problem if what is meant by that is that it only exists in some "theoretical" realm with absolutely no contact with any "practical" realm. In her essay "Philosophical Detection," Rand wrote the following:

"'This may be good in theory, but it doesn’t work in practice.' What is a theory? It is a set of abstract principles purporting to be either a correct description of reality or a set of guidelines for man's actions. Correspondence to reality is the standard of value by which one estimates a theory. If a theory is inapplicable to reality, by what standard can it be estimated as 'good'? If one were to accept that notion, it would mean: a. that the activity of man's mind is unrelated to reality; b. that the purpose of thinking is neither to acquire knowledge nor to guide man's actions."

So, if the concept of a "strictly logical" problem has any real meaning, it's that it isn't a real problem.

I believe the is-ought problem meets that threshold criterion.

When I say "strictly logical problem" I don't mean "exists in some theoretical realm with absolutely no contact with any practical realm". I mean the problem is in the structure of the argument rather than the content, as it is in a logical fallacy.

Affirming the consequent is another fallacy of logic. People use it to generate false beliefs all the time, and you don't correct them by addressing each individual instance of error, you correct them in principle. That's enough contact with practical reality for me.

To make sure that I'm following, I have to ask: Where did the "values can't be derived from facts" premise come from? I'll grant it for argument's sake here, but, by "re-articulating the problem," are you identifying as the problem that "values can't be derived from facts"?

See my "Good Syllogism-Bad Syllogism" outline. In the first case the premises guarantee the truth of the conclusion - it could be no other way. The second case not only fails to guarantee the conclusion - there's no conceivable way it could guarantee such a conclusion without a presupposing value (or a disguised one, as in the example of rights). That's what I mean about the domains being orthogonal.

Personally, I'd have it:

1. [Objective value]
2. [Fact]
3. [Objective conclusion]

"Universal" is redundant in #1 and "Normative" allows for subjective wiggle room. But, I digress...

Losing "universal" is fine for this discussion. I wanted to give everyone a fair shot at rationality, and I was under the impression Rand thought *everyone* was acting out this value inherently, but it's extraneous to what's important.

"Normative" has to stay because that's what we're trying to achieve - a prescriptive conclusion.

Pretty much. Promoting life is the baseline, the bare minimum, while, in an Aristotelian vein, eudaimonia, or "flourishing," is the height to which we should aspire (hence my characterization of Objectivism as a perfectionist philosophy).

Noted.

Just to be clear, what do you mean by "can't be denied"? Assuming I know what you mean, this is a perfect example to explain why the theory/practice dichotomy is a false one and why the is-ought "problem" isn't a problem. It's not that you can't deny it - the way that a computer can't not turn on when you press the Power button (provided it's functioning, it has a working battery/full charge, yada yada yada) - it's that you can't deny it and live to your fullest potential. People can deny that promoting life is a value - those are the people who kill themselves. People can deny that working to flourish is a value - those are the people who lead lives of quiet desperation à la Thoreau.

Okay, maybe I thought Rand was making a stronger argument than she was then. If she retreats back into this kind of circularity then the strength of her starting premise is less important.

Would you mind articulating that once more? Where does this "promotion of life" premise come from, and what does it mean (I don't think that's fully captured in the essay below)? Also I have The Virtue of Selfishness* on my bookshelf, so feel free to refer to me specific essays, if need be.

Afterward I'll throw out the real proper objections, if they still apply.

*I'm bolding book titles because I like how it makes the movie titles stand out in the text. Fight me haters.

I did not mean to start anything with you man its just that you came into a thread bagging on philosophy by making philosophical claims and some of the guys on here (not me) are pretty educated on the subject and you are clearly ill prepared.

Ill prepared for what?

The nature of things defined as what? Physical reality?

My point is that even the 'purest' field of science is nothing more than approximations. Take for example the irrational numbers. They pop up everywhere. But these have infinite decimal expansion. It's up to us to decide how accurate we want to be when making measurements. We make the decision if we want to go 7 decimal places or 13. Either way, it's an approximation. You can't make the square root of 2 in the physical world, it's an idealization.

I wasn't crediting her as the creator of the idea - you could really go back all the way to Aristotle and find similar epistemological rules of thumb - I was attributing the specific words in the formulation that I put in quotes to her as an indication that the words in quotes were her words, not my own.

Philosophy is an activity, not a result. The activity is thinking, the result is (hopefully) rational thought...but that's not always what results. The simple dictionary definition of "irrational" is "not logical or reasonable." There really isn't a single philosopher or philosophy who/that you'd call illogical or unreasonable for a single reason? Seriously?

Stay tuned for me and Caveat's discussion. This issue will come up again and I'll go into more detail as to why I find it so objectionable.

Well, sure, it's better to be rational than irrational. But "irrational" is still an adjective that can - and should - be used to describe philosophers/philosophies who/that are not logical or reasonable.

Again, more on that below in my conversation with Caveat.

Have I missed the point or do I just not agree with the point? It seems like I've got a handle on what it is and what it preaches and just don't value it much.

See? This is what I'm saying. This is some Serenity Now shit. I get it, I just don't agree with it. Imagine telling Spartacus to just be happy, he can't control being a slave...

This is a distinction without a difference. End of life, negation of life, opposite of life...call it what you want: It isn't life therefore it sucks.

This is the "mean" idea that's prevalent in both Western and Eastern philosophy. I have no objections to this. If you go the "lesser evil" route, then, though neither temerity nor cowardice is ideal, I'd rather have/be around someone who has temerity than be/be around someone who is a coward.
I prefer to attribute quotes to the original authors or use the consecrated terms, not the authors of ''my'' school of thought.

I believe the activity of philosophy is reason and the result is the happy life. Being an student of Ancient Philosophy, I see philosophy as a way of life with eudaimonia as the end result.
Also, there is an inherent problem in your question (which is not your fault I guess). You asked a historical question about the phenomenon called philosophy. There is two ways to look at it. Answer about people that were considered philosophers and talk about what they called philosophy in that time or talk about the activities they did in the past that subscribe to our current definition of philosophy. For example, most History of Philosophy won't talk about Newtonian Physics in details, though it was considered philosophy. They're more likely to talk about the empirical turn and its implications on metaphysics than about the formulas of Newton. According to my idea of philosophy, none is irrational; it would be a contradiction in terms. Lots of people I disagree with put forth arguments that are rational and rely on reason. Some are flawed, but I don't call them irrational. I think they did not know better. The ontological argument is flawed, but I won't call Descartes or Anselm irrational because of it.

About stoicism : it is your loss. They have a very interesting ethics that deserves consideration. For example, they have a similar reflection to what you attributed to Rand, but they go further to universalize it.
(1)The action of animals is wired toward its conservation (oikeiôsis) ; (2) This action is justifiable considering they like themselves (3) I am an animal, I act toward conservation and I like myself. (4) I have to preserve myself.
Then, with our reason we come to realize that the ''I'' in this reasoning has no logical importance (you could place an x instead, a you, a him). A sense of non-importance of the individual arises thus and the objective character of reason develops. Adults can go beyond subjectivity and objectify themselves.

The talk about what is dependent on us vs what is not and it's implication for their theory of virtue and thus happiness (the central question of Greek ethics : does virtue suffice to make someone happy ?) is illuminating. I might agree with it, but I find it illuminating. You seem to be very stuck dichotomies. You can disagree with something and value it.

Also, it is important to stress that the Stoic ideal of the virtuous is, in their own words, impossible (or quasi-impossible, I don't remember the passage now) to achieve. The state where things that don't depend on you is not something achieved by reading one book : it's a life-long practice (philosophy is a way of life) aimed towards the model of the virtuous man they created. There is no ''tell Spartacus to be happy''. This is an oversimplification of a complex philosophy which is primarily meant as a practice, a hard practice with exercises. Once again, you seem to lack nuances.
I'm going to read Courage under Fire: Testing Epictetus's Doctrines in a Laboratory of Human Behavior soon. I might interest you as well. It's a Vietnam guy that was tortured and had read Epictetus.

Opposites and negation is not the same. The opposite of white is black but non-white is not necessarily black.

You say : Life = great, death is the opposite, therefore death = shit.

First of all, your definition of life is very lacking. For someone that likes reason so much, I hope you realize this is not satisfying. Your terminology is very loose.
Life is : reproduction, sense, reasoning (for human life), etc.
Death is the negation of life. Death is no-reproduction, no-sense, no-reasoning.
Something dead is neither great nor shit : it has lost all contact with such things. You seem to argue that dead people go to some place which is shit. I agree with Epicurus' statement on this. Death is cessation : we are not us anymore when we are dead, it is neither great nor shit. It can be shit for you when, as a living being, you are afraid of it, but I could say that for me it is great because I hate living. Such judgements are subjective.

Edit : I would say pyrrhonism is anti-reason. It rationnaly argues for two sides of a question to show that reason is not that great. This was used to push for a certain lifestyle of indifference. It is on the limits of philosophy : more like a critic of philosophy that leads to a way of life. There is a use of reason (to destroy it) and leads to a lifestyle. It thus fits my definition and is anti-reason.

Last edited:

First of all, your definition of life is very lacking. For someone that likes reason so much, I hope you realize this is not satisfying. Your terminology is very loose.
Death is the negation of life. Death is no-reproduction, no-sense, no-reasoning.
Something dead is neither great nor shit : it has lost all contact with such things. You seem to argue that dead people go to some place which is shit. I agree with Epicurus' statement on this. Death is cessation : we are not us anymore when we are dead, it is neither great nor shit. It can be shit for you when, as a living being, you are afraid of it, but I could say that for me it is great because I hate living. Such judgements are subjective.

I think it might be as a result of your theory of mind circuitry allowing for empathy of the imagined dead you. It constantly provides info on what those who are present and absent are or are likely thinking.

I think it might be as a result of your theory of mind circuitry allowing for empathy of the imagined dead you. It constantly provides info on what those who are present and absent are or are likely thinking.

I don't understand what you are trying to get at. I believe death is nothing : not shit, not great.

I prefer to attribute quotes to the original authors or use the consecrated terms, not the authors of ''my'' school of thought.

I believe the activity of philosophy is reason and the result is the happy life. Being an student of Ancient Philosophy, I see philosophy as a way of life with eudaimonia as the end result.
Also, there is an inherent problem in your question (which is not your fault I guess). You asked a historical question about the phenomenon called philosophy. There is two ways to look at it. Answer about people that were considered philosophers and talk about what they called philosophy in that time or talk about the activities they did in the past that subscribe to our current definition of philosophy. For example, most History of Philosophy won't talk about Newtonian Physics in details, though it was considered philosophy. They're more likely to talk about the empirical turn and its implications on metaphysics than about the formulas of Newton. According to my idea of philosophy, none is irrational; it would be a contradiction in terms. Lots of people I disagree with put forth arguments that are rational and rely on reason. Some are flawed, but I don't call them irrational. I think they did not know better. The ontological argument is flawed, but I won't call Descartes or Anselm irrational because of it.

About stoicism : it is your loss. They have a very interesting ethics that deserves consideration. For example, they have a similar reflection to what you attributed to Rand, but they go further to universalize it.
(1)The action of animals is wired toward its conservation (oikeiôsis) ; (2) This action is justifiable considering they like themselves (3) I am an animal, I act toward conservation and I like myself. (4) I have to preserve myself.
Then, with our reason we come to realize that the ''I'' in this reasoning has no logical importance (you could place an x instead, a you, a him). A sense of non-importance of the individual arises thus and the objective character of reason develops. Adults can go beyond subjectivity and objectify themselves.

The talk about what is dependent on us vs what is not and it's implication for their theory of virtue and thus happiness (the central question of Greek ethics : does virtue suffice to make someone happy ?) is illuminating. I might agree with it, but I find it illuminating. You seem to be very stuck dichotomies. You can disagree with something and value it.

Also, it is important to stress that the Stoic ideal of the virtuous is, in their own words, impossible (or quasi-impossible, I don't remember the passage now) to achieve. The state where things that don't depend on you is not something achieved by reading one book : it's a life-long practice (philosophy is a way of life) aimed towards the model of the virtuous man they created. There is no ''tell Spartacus to be happy''. This is an oversimplification of a complex philosophy which is primarily meant as a practice, a hard practice with exercises. Once again, you seem to lack nuances.
I'm going to read Courage under Fire: Testing Epictetus's Doctrines in a Laboratory of Human Behavior soon. I might interest you as well. It's a Vietnam guy that was tortured and had read Epictetus.

Opposites and negation is not the same. The opposite of white is black but non-white is not necessarily black.

You say : Life = great, death is the opposite, therefore death = shit.

interesting. I don't think the goal of philosophy is happiness but people can certainly become happy through philosophy. WIlliam James and Mill are examples of depressed who were helped by philosophy.

Yes, but not doing is creation itself. It is absence that clears out the space for creation. The value of zero or nothing. I would say that all life has a seed of death and all death has a seed of life. Like the Tao. The there is a seed of yin in the yang and vice versa. We are living things with a seed of death in us. That is always growing larger.

You begin to see the opposites combine for creation.

The intangible represents the real power of the universe. It is the seed of the tangible.

We mould clay into a pot,
but it is the emptiness inside
that makes the vessel useful.

— Laozi Tao Te Ching quotes 11

One of Bruce Lee's favorite stories. A cup is useful because it is empty. Opposites interacting are like a blade being sharpened.

I was watching youtube last night on video game history. The first version of Super Mario Bros 2 was sent to the US and a guy tested it. He hated it. It was so hard. He said it was painful. "Who would create such a painful game?" he asked. lol. It reminds me of why Stansilaw Lem said about being an atheist. He is an atheist because he doesn't want to believe that a world this painful was created intentionally.

Anyway, they changed Mario to be easier.

interesting. I don't think the goal of philosophy is happiness but people can certainly become happy through philosophy. WIlliam James and Mill are examples of depressed who were helped by philosophy.

Yes, but not doing is creation itself. It is absence that clears out the space for creation. The value of zero or nothing. I would say that all life has a seed of death and all death has a seed of life. Like the Tao. The there is a seed of yin in the yang and vice versa. We are living things with a seed of death in us. That is always growing larger.

You begin to see the opposites combine for creation.

The intangible represents the real power of the universe. It is the seed of the tangible.

We mould clay into a pot,
but it is the emptiness inside
that makes the vessel useful.

— Laozi Tao Te Ching quotes 11

One of Bruce Lee's favorite stories. A cup is useful because it is empty. Opposites interacting are like a blade being sharpened.

If you are interested, I recommend Pierre Hadot's "philosophy as a way of life", "what is ancient philosophy?" And "spiritual exercise and philosophy". I translated the names myself so that might not be exact.
Also John coopers "Pursuits of Wisdom Six Ways of Life in Ancient Philosophy from Socrates to Plotinus"
They are both top tier scholars and it is pretty much universally acknowledged now that ancient philosophy is a way of life rather than closed system of thoughts. I could throw you tons of quotes to support this, but you better read from the scholars themselves.

I found this Tesla quote on Einstein's relativity today. Gravity is problematic. What exactly is being curved by bodies in space? Also, where does space end and begin. Or the universe. This assumes a border that separates space from something that is not space. What/where is this border and what is "not space"?

“I hold that space cannot be curved, for the simple reason that it can have no properties. It might as well be said that God has properties. He has not, but only attributes and these are of our own making. Of properties we can only speak when dealing with matter filling the space. To say that in the presence of large bodies space becomes curved is equivalent to stating that something can act upon nothing. I, for one, refuse to subscribe to such a view.”

― Nikola Tesla

Last edited:
To answer your question - you can of course offer guidance case-by-case, but it would be done on an individualistic basis not typically generalized to what would constitute a scientific truth about mankind in general (or you try to generalize and end up with a theory of uncooperative tit angles in the fridge mothers of anal-stage infants, or something like that). What's most important is that the client gets to where they want to go

Gotcha.

If you read the DSM, a qualifying condition (or one of them) for many diagnoses is significant interference with the client's daily life. I don't really have a substance addiction until the behaviour stemming from that addiction starts to fuck up my day-to-day. Now I can treat the addiction with the goal of restoring the day-to-day, and there's all sorts of good science about how to do that. There's less about how or why the day-to-day was problem in the first place. There's plenty of talk about it, but less science about it. It may not after all be a scientific question.

Funny enough, my first thought was, "No, it's a psychological question," but that would mean that psychology and science are distinct, which, I'm sure, would ruffle more than a few feathers. But then isn't that why there's the distinction between psychiatrists, who are trained in science and medicine, and psychologists, who are trained in therapy? It seems like psychiatry belongs in the science camp while psychology belongs in the philosophy camp.

What say you to that bit of rambling?

A close friend of mine with a Philosophy Ph.D. does a bit of work now as a "philosophical counselor" (I actually was a client of hers, but we became friends when she decided I was beyond redemption). Her approach struck me as much more systematic then other therapists who used a grab-bag of hackneyed psychological tactics - it was a lot about examining one's understanding of the world and correcting potential errors before doing anything else. I think you'd like it.

When I was 16 and started having panic attacks I went to a therapist and it was a colossal waste of time, primarily because the dude seemed like a hack. I love the idea of "talk therapy" and would love to be able to find a good therapist to talk shit out with, but it's hard for me to imagine finding someone who I wouldn't think was a buffoon :confused:

When I say "strictly logical problem" I don't mean "exists in some theoretical realm with absolutely no contact with any practical realm". I mean the problem is in the structure of the argument rather than the content, as it is in a logical fallacy.

Affirming the consequent is another fallacy of logic. People use it to generate false beliefs all the time, and you don't correct them by addressing each individual instance of error, you correct them in principle. That's enough contact with practical reality for me.

Now I'm starting to think that the reason that I'm confused is because this type of shit relies - or at least appears to rely - on the analytic-synthetic dichotomy. Much like it's difficult for me to walk in the shoes of someone who thinks that the is-ought "problem" is a problem, it's difficult for me to parse logic and reality the way that you seem to be parsing them here. Is-ought, analytic-synthetic, necessary-contingent, theory/practice, structure/content, logical/actual - how are these not all false dichotomies that just muddy the waters?

Either there's no such thing as a problem that's limited to the structure of an argument or you've yet to provide me with the example that can clarify for me what a problem that's limited to the structure of an argument looks like o_O

See my "Good Syllogism-Bad Syllogism" outline. In the first case the premises guarantee the truth of the conclusion - it could be no other way. The second case not only fails to guarantee the conclusion - there's no conceivable way it could guarantee such a conclusion without a presupposing value (or a disguised one, as in the example of rights). That's what I mean about the domains being orthogonal.

Two things.

1) You want to know how you can guarantee-100%-no-chance-of-failure confuse me? Use math words. "Orthogonal"? I enjoy conversing with you, Caveat, but not enough to where I'm going to try to understand math words. I vowed the day I took the GRE and answered all of the math questions "666" because math is evil that I'd never again give a single fuck about math :p

2) Maybe "orthogonal" so threw me that I missed it, but how is this an answer to my question about where the "values can't be derived from facts" premise was coming from? I get that your "Bad Syllogism" is bad. What I'm not getting is what that has to do with, much less how it corroborates (assuming that's what you're taking it to be doing), the "values can't be derived from facts" premise. If it helps, I've never studied formal logic; I just rely on common sense when judging shit to be either smart shit or stupid shit.

Would you mind articulating that once more? Where does this "promotion of life" premise come from, and what does it mean (I don't think that's fully captured in the essay below)?

If we're going to dig into Objectivism, then we need to establish some common ground, and there's no better ground than the ground of Rand's own words and formulations. Additionally, given how much time and energy went into the writing of Atlas Shrugged, and in particular the famous "This is John Galt speaking" radio address, that's always my first stop when it comes to Rand's words and formulations relevant to discussions of Objectivist ideas and principles.

On the "promotion of life" thing and its relevance to Rand's take on the is-ought "problem," the role of values in life, etc., here's an excerpt from Atlas Shrugged:

"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not. His body is given to him, its sustenance is not. His mind is given to him, its content is not. To remain alive, he must act, and before he can act he must know the nature and purpose of his action [...] To remain alive, he must think.

But to think is an act of choice. The key to what you so recklessly call 'human nature,' [...] is the fact that man is a being of volitional consciousness. Reason does not work automatically; thinking is not a mechanical process; the connections of logic are not made by instinct. The function of your stomach, lungs or heart is automatic; the function of your mind is not. In any hour and issue of your life, you are free to think or to evade that effort. But you are not free to escape from your nature, from the fact that reason is your means of survival - so that for you, who are a human being, the question 'to be or not to be' is the question 'to think or not to think.'

A being of volitional consciousness has no automatic course of behavior. He needs a code of values to guide his actions. 'Value' is that which one acts to gain and keep, 'virtue' is the action by which one gains and keeps it. 'Value' presupposes an answer to the question: Of value to whom and for what? 'Value' presupposes a standard, a purpose and the necessity of action in the face of an alternative. Where there are no alternatives, no values are possible.

There is only one fundamental alternative in the universe - existence or nonexistence - and it pertains to a single class of entities - to living organisms [...] It is only a living organism that faces a constant alternative: The issue of life or death. Life is a process of self-sustaining and self-generated action. If an organism fails in that action, it dies [...] It is only the concept of 'Life' that makes the concept of 'Value' possible. [...] A plant must feed itself in order to live; the sunlight, the water, the chemicals it needs are the values its nature has set it to pursue; its life is the standard of value directing its actions. But a plant has no choice of action; there are alternatives in the conditions of its encounters, but there is no alternative in its function: It acts automatically to further its life, it cannot act for its own destruction.

[...]

Man has no automatic code of survival. His particular distinction from all other living species is the necessity to act in the face of alternatives by means of volitional choice. He has no automatic knowledge of what is good for him or evil, what values his life depends on, what course of action it requires. Are you prattling about an instinct of self-preservation? An instinct of self-preservation is precisely what man does not possess. An 'instinct' is an unerring and automatic form of knowledge. A desire is not an instinct. A desire to live does not give you the knowledge required for living. And even man's desire to live is not automatic [...] Man must obtain his knowledge and choose his actions by a process of thinking, which nature will not force him to perform [...] Man has been called a rational being, but rationality is a matter of choice - and the alternative his nature offers him is: Rational being or suicidal animal. Man has to be man - by choice; he has to hold his life as a value - by choice; he has to learn to sustain it - by choice; he has to discover the values it requires and practice his virtues - by choice."

Then, for a non-fiction supplement to the above excerpt from Atlas Shrugged, I think that her essay "The Objectivist Ethics" from The Virtue of Selfishness is your best bet. Here are some bits from it:

"The first question is: Does man need values at all—and why? Is the concept of value, of 'good or evil,' an arbitrary human invention, unrelated to, underived from, and unsupported by any facts of reality—or is it based on a metaphysical fact, on an unalterable condition of man’s existence? (I use the word 'metaphysical' to mean: that which pertains to reality, to the nature of things, to existence.) Does an arbitrary human convention, a mere custom, decree that man must guide his actions by a set of principles—or is there a fact of reality that demands it? Is ethics the province of whims: of personal emotions, social edicts, and mystic revelations—or is it the province of reason? Is ethics a subjective luxury—or an objective necessity?

In the sorry record of the history of mankind’s ethics—with a few rare, and unsuccessful, exceptions—moralists have regarded ethics as the province of whims, that is: of the irrational. Some of them did so explicitly, by intention—others implicitly, by default. A 'whim' is a desire experienced by a person who does not know and does not care to discover its cause.

[...]

Most philosophers took the existence of ethics for granted, as the given, as a historical fact, and were not concerned with discovering its metaphysical cause or objective validation. Many of them attempted to break the traditional monopoly of mysticism in the field of ethics and, allegedly, to define a rational, scientific, nonreligious morality. But their attempts consisted of trying to justify them on social grounds, merely substituting society for God.

[...]

This could hardly be called rational, yet most philosophers have now decided to declare that reason has failed, that ethics is outside the power of reason, that no rational ethics can ever be defined, and that in the field of ethics—in the choice of his values, of his actions, of his pursuits, of his life’s goals—man must be guided by something other than reason. By what? Faith—instinct—intuition—revelation—feeling—taste—urge—wish—whim. Today, as in the past, most philosophers agree that the ultimate standard of ethics is whim [...] and the battle is only over the question or whose whim: one’s own or society’s or the dictator’s or God’s. Whatever else they may disagree about, today’s moralists agree that ethics is a subjective issue.

[Here she rehearses, and even quotes from, the previously cited bit from Atlas Shrugged and then continues on from there...]

Only a living entity can have goals or can originate them. And it is only a living organism that has the capacity for self-generated, goal-directed action [...] What standard determines what is proper in this context? The standard is the organism’s life, or: that which is required for the organism’s survival.

No choice is open to an organism in this issue: that which is required for its survival is determined by its nature, by the kind of entity it is. Many variations, many forms of adaptation to its background are possible to an organism, including the possibility of existing for a while in a crippled, disabled or diseased condition, but the fundamental alternative of its existence remains the same: if an organism fails in the basic functions required by its nature—if an amoeba’s protoplasm stops assimilating food, or if a man’s heart stops beating—the organism dies. In a fundamental sense, stillness is the antithesis of life. Life can be kept in existence only by a constant process of self-sustaining action. The goal of that action, the ultimate value which, to be kept, must be gained through its every moment, is the organism’s life.

An ultimate value is that final goal or end to which all lesser goals are the means—and it sets the standard by which all lesser goals are evaluated. An organism’s life is its standard of value: that which furthers its life is the good, that which threatens it is the evil.

Without an ultimate goal or end, there can be no lesser goals or means: a series of means going off into an infinite progression toward a nonexistent end is a metaphysical and epistemological impossibility. It is only an ultimate goal, an end in itself, that makes the existence of values possible. Metaphysically, life is the only phenomenon that is an end in itself: a value gained and kept by a constant process of action. Epistemologically, the concept of 'value' is genetically dependent upon and derived from the antecedent concept of 'life.' To speak of 'value' as apart from 'life' is worse than a contradiction in terms.

[...]

In answer to those philosophers who claim that no relation can be established between ultimate ends or values and the facts of reality, let me stress that the fact that living entities exist and function necessitates the existence of values and of an ultimate value which for any given living entity is its own life. Thus the validation of value judgments is to be achieved by reference to the facts of reality. The fact that a living entity is, determines what it ought to do. So much for the issue of the relation between 'is' and 'ought.'

[...]

Nothing is given to man on earth except a potential and the material on which to actualize it. The potential is a superlative machine: his consciousness; but it is a machine without a spark plug, a machine of which his own will has to be the spark plug, the self-starter and the driver; he has to discover how to use it and he has to keep it in constant action. The material is the whole of the universe, with no limits set to the knowledge he can acquire and to the enjoyment of life he can achieve. But everything he needs or desires has to be learned, discovered and produced by him—by his own choice, by his own effort, by his own mind.

A being who does not know automatically what is true or false cannot know automatically what is right or wrong, what is good for him or evil. Yet he needs that knowledge in order to live. He is not exempt from the laws of reality, he is a specific organism of a specific nature that requires specific actions to sustain his life. He cannot achieve his survival by arbitrary means nor by random motions nor by blind urges nor by chance nor by whim. That which his survival requires is set by his nature and is not open to his choice. What is open to his choice is only whether he will discover it or not, whether he will choose the right goals and values or not. He is free to make the wrong choice, but not free to succeed with it. He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see. Knowledge, for any conscious organism, is the means of survival; to a living consciousness, every 'is' implies an 'ought.' Man is free to choose not to be conscious, but not free to escape the penalty of unconsciousness: destruction."

Afterward I'll throw out the real proper objections, if they still apply.

Object away :D

I believe the activity of philosophy is reason and the result is the happy life [...] According to my idea of philosophy, none is irrational; it would be a contradiction in terms. Lots of people I disagree with put forth arguments that are rational and rely on reason. Some are flawed, but I don't call them irrational. I think they did not know better. The ontological argument is flawed, but I won't call Descartes or Anselm irrational because of it.

All right, so, before I dig in here, I want to draw your attention to the edit that you made to this post.

Edit : I would say pyrrhonism is anti-reason. It rationnaly argues for two sides of a question to show that reason is not that great. This was used to push for a certain lifestyle of indifference. It is on the limits of philosophy : more like a critic of philosophy that leads to a way of life. There is a use of reason (to destroy it) and leads to a lifestyle. It thus fits my definition and is anti-reason.

On the basis of this edit, it seems that it's at least possible for you to judge someone/something that purports to be a "good" "philosopher"/"philosophy" as either a bad philosopher/philosophy or not a philosopher/philosophy properly so called. I'd like to apply some more pressure to you here because, well, that's just the kind of fun-loving guy that I am ;)

In the interest of conducting a grammatical investigation of your position on philosophy, let's use your definition of philosophy, which, for our purposes here, we can formulate as: "Philosophy is the activity of reason which results in a happy life." If this is our definition of philosophy, then, to the extent that (to use a choice example) Jacques Derrida lived a miserable life and was torn apart by doubts and contradictions right up to his death*, wouldn't you have to conclude, based on your own terms and according to your own definition, that deconstruction is either bad philosophy (i.e., if you wish to grant to Derrida the sanction of reason and if you do not feel that withdrawing from deconstruction the banner of philosophy is warranted, surely you must at least deem his philosophy bad to the extent that it failed to result in his living a happy life) or not philosophy (i.e., if "philosophy" just means "the activity of reason which results in a happy life," and if Derrida's "activity" didn't result in a happy life, then surely you must conclude that his "activity" was not reasonable and, hence, not philosophy properly so called)? Why insist on moral neutrality at the expense of logical coherence? Why not just acknowledge the bad and the irrational when and as you come across it?

*For reference, I have in mind remarks of his from an interview conducted with him in 2004 mere weeks before his death (and which I cite in one of my critiques of poststructuralism), which include him admitting that, "it is true, I am at war with myself, and you have no idea to what extent, more than you can guess, and I say things that contradict each other, that are, let's say, in real tension with each other, that compose me, that make me live and that will make me die," and confessing that he sees life as this state of war, "a terrifying and painful war."

About stoicism : it is your loss.

<Fedor23>

They have a very interesting ethics that deserves consideration.

What have I been doing throughout this discussion of Stoicism if not considering it?

For example, they have a similar reflection to what you attributed to Rand, but they go further to universalize it.

You're right, this is close to Rand's position. The difference is that plants and animals have no concept of "justification" and have no self-regard vis-à-vis liking or not liking themselves.

"A sense of non-importance of the individual" is a collection of words that'd make Rand's head explode :D

You seem to be very stuck dichotomies. You can disagree with something and value it.

If I'm "stuck" on anything then it's on refuting false dichotomies. This an interesting point to consider, though, because I disagree with the proposition (and hence do not value the proposition) that "you can disagree with something and value it." In this case, we're talking about Stoicism: I disagree with the proposition that Stoicism provides a valid model of how one should comport oneself - which means that I do not value Stoicism as a model of how to comport oneself. To disagree with something implies an estimate of that something as not valuable.

Now, if you were to limit the alternatives to two - between, say, wallowing in miserable self-pity on the one hand and taking a Stoic stance on whatever it is that is causing you to wallow in miserable self-pity on the other - then I would agree that the latter would be preferable, which is to say that I'd be of the opinion that Stoicism would be valuable if it were the only alternative to wallowing in miserable self-pity because wallowing in miserable self-pity is of no value.

In any situation, assenting to something indicates a conferral of value on the something to which one is assenting and vice-versa. How is this not the case?

Also, it is important to stress that the Stoic ideal of the virtuous is, in their own words, impossible (or quasi-impossible, I don't remember the passage now) to achieve.

If the Stoic ideal is impossible then it's worse than nonsense and you yourself should condemn it based on your own terms and your own definition of philosophy. If the Stoic is doomed to live in failure, then happiness is beyond him, which means that his philosophy cannot result in his living a happy life, which means that Stoicism, on your terms and according to your own definition, is either bad philosophy or isn't philosophy at all. Either that or Stoics are deranged durfwads who've deluded themselves into thinking that the bad is the good and the good is the bad...like Kramer :p

There is no ''tell Spartacus to be happy''. This is an oversimplification of a complex philosophy which is primarily meant as a practice, a hard practice with exercises. Once again, you seem to lack nuances.

Do I lack nuances or do you lack the ability/willingness to reduce philosophical outlooks to their fundamental presuppositions? In any event, my point with the Spartacus example was to demonstrate that, per Stoicism, the existence of a Spartacus is impossible - which means that, since Stoicism has no space within its philosophy for the existence of a Spartacus, and since Spartacus was a great and heroic individual, Stoicism is not an ideal philosophy.

Ha, I haven't read that but I did come across it once years ago and it's what flipped the switch in my movie brain and got me thinking about writing something on Rambo and Stoicism.

For someone like you, who appears to so loath black-and-white thinking, you couldn't have picked a more fitting example to use ;)

Something dead is neither great nor shit : it has lost all contact with such things. You seem to argue that dead people go to some place which is shit. I agree with Epicurus' statement on this. Death is cessation : we are not us anymore when we are dead, it is neither great nor shit.

How it can even seem implicit in anything that I've said that I think that "dead people go to some place" is inconceivable to me given my clear and explicit rejection as nonsense all such thinking. I most certainly am not arguing that dead people go anywhere.

It can be shit for you when, as a living being, you are afraid of it, but I could say that for me it is great because I hate living. Such judgements are subjective.

First, it seems that I'll never stop having to reiterate: Preferring being alive to dying ≠ Being afraid of dying. I prefer steak to salmon. That doesn't mean that I'm afraid of salmon. Second, this line of argument goes back to what I was saying to Caveat in the context of the is-ought "problem": Saying that I can say x and you can say y doesn't mean that the concepts of right/wrong, good/bad, better/worse - in short, that the concept of objectivity - has no place in the discussion. You can hate being alive, but you ought to love it, and anyone who does say that he hates being alive (all things being equal) is, if not "wrong," then sure as shit "not right."

To quote a particularly pithy bit from Wittgenstein in On Certainty:

"In certain circumstances a man cannot make a mistake. ('Can' is here used logically, and the proposition does not mean that a man cannot say anything false in those circumstances.) If [a man] were to pronounce the opposite of those propositions which [are] certain, we should not just not share his opinion: we should regard him as demented."

There you have it: Stoics are demented.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

I found this Tesla quote on Einstein's relativity today. Gravity is problematic. What exactly is being curved by bodies in space? Also, where does space end and begin. Or the universe. This assumes a border that separates space from something that is not space. What/where is this border and what is "not space"?

“I hold that space cannot be curved, for the simple reason that it can have no properties. It might as well be said that God has properties. He has not, but only attributes and these are of our own making. Of properties we can only speak when dealing with matter filling the space. To say that in the presence of large bodies space becomes curved is equivalent to stating that something can act upon nothing. I, for one, refuse to subscribe to such a view.”

― Nikola Tesla

Now you are moving away from philosophy and into physics. Ok, that statement from Tesla is just plain stupid. What does God have to do with anything? Every object in the universe that has mass exerts a gravitational pull, or force, on every other mass. The bigger the object, the stronger the gravity. Yes, that gravity does create a 'curved' space.

The Einstein field equation (EFE) comprise the set of 10 equations in Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity that describe the fundamental interaction of gravitation as a result of spacetime being curved by mass and energy.

. What exactly is being curved by bodies in space? Space.
. Also, where does space end and begin? Space would be a constant around an object - mass.
. This assumes a border that separates space from something that is not space.
Yes, again, mass (picture above).
. What/where is this border and what is 'not space'? Refer to question two above.

When you move to Quantum Physics (atomic level), the laws change. This was not Einstein's field. He actually had to have another physicist, Leo Szilard, who was his friend, explain how the atom bomb process worked - 1939.

Last edited:
Now you are moving away from philosophy and into physics.

Yeah, and since this isn't the Serious Physics Discussion thread, let's not do that. I don't want to delete posts that I know people put time into, but, from here on out, I'm going to be deleting science posts. Let's stick to philosophy. And when in doubt just remember: If you're posting numbers and equations then you're probably in the wrong thread.

Boy, it's fun to be able to make rules against math and science :D

Back