Movies Serious Movie Discussion

Phantom Thread is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. Daniel Day Lewis really chose a shitty script to end his career on. It’s disappointing as his last film with PT Anderson “There Will Be Blood” was phenomenal.

I’d rate Phantom Thread a 1/10

Hmmm doesn't sound great. Maybe you are right, haven't got to see it yet, but seriously 1/10? That sounds a bit dramatic.

Hmmm doesn't sound great. Maybe you are right, haven't got to see it yet, but seriously 1/10? That sounds a bit dramatic.

I wanted to walk out of the film. Literally nothing happens in it. The story was just nonexistent, I love the director’s past works like There Will Be Blood, Boogie Nights, and Magnolia but this film was a mess.

I should have seen Hostiles instead. My girl wanted to see Phantom Thread and I never saw no to her film choices as I dictate 99% of what we watch. Tonight I’m doing a double feature of The Ritual and It Comes at Night.

Save your money and watch Phantom Thread at home but I’d avoid it completely

I wanted to walk out of the film. Literally nothing happens in it. The story was just nonexistent, I love the director’s past works like There Will Be Blood, Boogie Nights, and Magnolia but this film was a mess.

I should have seen Hostiles instead. My girl wanted to see Phantom Thread and I never saw no to her film choices as I dictate 99% of what we watch. Tonight I’m doing a double feature of The Ritual and It Comes at Night.

Save your money and watch Phantom Thread at home but I’d avoid it completely

That doesn't sound great, but some reviews are good from what I have seen (I try and avoid reading too much about a film beforehand). I get cheap tickets at my local arthouse cinema (it's part of my university so I get student discount) so I will probably go see it anyway.

Man I don’t think I’d rate even movies I verge hated like Revenge of the Fallen as less than a 3.

I liked Phantom Thread. More than the other best picture oscar nominees I've see, Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

I liked Phantom Thread. More than the other best picture oscar nominees I've see, Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

I’ve seen 7/9 nominees and Shape of Water and Three Billboards are my top 2 thus far.

Phantom Thread just so happens to be one of the two I’ve missed though. I’ll have to rectify that.

I watched The Blackcoat's Daughter.
A slow burn Horror Film directed by Anthony Perkins' son.
I found it really engaging and tense until the completely bungled "ending".
It owes a lot to The Witch.
A lot of wasted potential, but worth a watch.

hmm, I always say it but I loved The Witch though I'm not a horror fan. Maybe I will check this out at some stage.

fv033.jpg

Finally got round to watching Kurosawa's Throne of Blood the other day.

Pretty awesome adaption of Macbeth. Of course, with Macbeth being a huge part of the canon of Western literature (I have read it several times, and studied it in high school) you know exactly what it is going to happen, but that's the same no matter what version you are watching at this point. Plus, in a way I suppose it only adds to the dramatic irony. It was interesting that there was no attempt to translate any of Shakespeare's dialogue; Kurosawa just took the outline of the plot and fundamental themes. Having read the original/heard the dialogue many times before (as amazing as it is) it was no big deal, and with cross-cultural stuff like this, the basic themes are the most important I would say. The only thing that did seem 'odd', in a certain sense, was some of the acting...not that it was bad but it seemed to be quite dramatic and over the top - having seen Mifune in other films it's obvious that this was a deliberate choice of Kurosawa's. But I wouldn't say that is a criticism anyway, just an observation. The visuals were outstanding too, even with the black-and-white it looked extremely vivid.

Put me in a bit of a Macbeth mood as well, I might watched Polanski's film this week. I saw that years ago in high school, well before I was in to films so I doubt I appreciated it. Last I saw was obviously the one with Fassbender in it, which wasn't perfect but very good nonetheless.

Last edited:

Is it a best picture nominee? The fuk?

How did you like the movie? Nothing happens. There is no direction or story.

The Ritual was really good. Don’t want to spoil anything about it but if your a horror fan it’s a must see.

An underrated similarly named film Ritual (2012) by an Indonesian director needs some attention as well. I never see this film discussed and it’s one of the best horror/thriller in the last decade.

I’ve seen 7/9 nominees and Shape of Water and Three Billboards are my top 2 thus far.

Phantom Thread just so happens to be one of the two I’ve missed though. I’ll have to rectify that.

Still got Phantom Thread, The Post, and Call Me by Your Name left but I'm with you on the top two.

Three Billboards could very well win. That would be something.

What didnt you like about the ending of Blackcoats Daughter? I thought it brought it all together.

I don't like how it deliberately sets you up to think that 2 characters are not the same person with casting different actors, changing names etc and then reveal that they actually are the same.

I don't like how it deliberately sets you up to think that 2 characters are not the same person with casting different actors, changing names etc and then reveal that they actually are the same.

Oh i thought you meant with the story. I get it. I thought it was cool that she killed trying to get the demon spirit to come back to her

Just back from Phantom Thread. I liked it a lot, very strange but you couldn't help but be drawn into the world of the film, stylistically it was very lavish, you do hear that word all the time in film reviews, but it certainly applies here, it looked fantastic. All in an interesting, but often puzzling character study - though obviously with strong elements of romantic drama - looking into the pysche of an egocentric artist and his muse; things get weirder at the end but I'll not spoil it, and it's not really a shattering twist or anything either. Probably need to reflect on it a bit more.

I saw The Shape Of Water about a week ago. I really, really, liked it. If you’re a fan of Amelie and Delicatessan, then you will be into this shit. His best work I think.
It's funny you say that, because the director of those films is saying Shape of Water ripped off a scene from Delicatessan.

Anyway, I liked The Shape of Water quite a bit. It had a bit of that Jenuet vibe as you said, I wouldn't say it verged into plagiarism territory at all though.
I watched The Blackcoat's Daughter.
A slow burn Horror Film directed by Anthony Perkins' son.
I found it really engaging and tense until the completely bungled "ending".
It owes a lot to The Witch.
I was reminded of The Witch stylistically while watching Blackcoat's Daughter, but I think any similarity could be coincidental. The Witch had it's premier at Sundance January 27, 2015. Blackcoat's Daughter started filming February 2015 (not sure of the exact date). It was first screened at the Toronto festival September 2015, before The Witch had it's theatrical premier. It's possible Oz Perkins could have seen The Witch at Sundance or another festival and been influenced by it, but I'm not certain.
Finally got round to watching Kurosawa's Throne of Blood the other day.
That's a top 5 Shakespeare film for me, probably top 10 film.

I think the over the top acting style is influenced by the style of stage acting in Japan. Kurosawa directs his actors that way often, but never more so than in his Shakespeare films.

I think it's good that the dialogue was translated into (presumably) modern Japanese. The structure and most of the scenes played out pretty much just as in the play, more so than Ran compared to King Lear I think. Kind of funny to watch a film that was adapted from early 17th century English into modern Japanese then translated back into modern English by way of subtitles.

Throne of Blood and Polanski's Macbeth are for me the pinnacles of Macbeth films. I don't like to compare them, because it's rather apples to oranges IMO. My feelings are that as great as Throne of Blood is it can never be THE Macbeth film because it doesn't use Shakespeare's words. Polanski's Macbeth works I think mostly because the acting and production design are more cinematic as opposed to theatrical.
How did you like the movie? Nothing happens. There is no direction or story.
I would say the story is of mostly the progression of their relationship and how his life changes in ways that it hadn't in years, in ways which his previous girlfriends/muses were unable to bring about.

The acting and the characterization is what carries the movie for me. It doesn't hurt that it looks and sounds fantastic.

That scene is usually signaled out as the movies highpoint (and it is superb) but the most dramatic moment for me was...

nfqkuc.jpg

It was interesting that there was no attempt to translate any of Shakespeare's dialogue; Kurosawa just took the outline of the plot and fundamental themes

He sort of Japanesed it, bolting on Japanese legends to an English play. Like how the 3 Fates are replaced by an old magical hag who is spinning in a small hut in the middle of the forest (can't remember the excact name but there was some Japanese myth akin to that).

The only thing that did seem 'odd', in a certain sense, was some of the acting...not that it was bad but it seemed to be quite dramatic and over the top - having seen Mifune in other films it's obvious that this was a deliberate choice of Kurosawa's. But I wouldn't say that is a criticism anyway, just an observation.

Can't say that I recalled that. However, I do recall thinking that this was Kurosawa's film that was most obviously inspired by Noh theater, with all the gesturing and theater-like frames and all that.

That scene is usually signaled out as the movies highpoint (and it is superb) but the most dramatic moment for me was...

nfqkuc.jpg

He sort of Japanesed it, bolting on Japanese legends to an English play. Like how the 3 Fates are replaced by an old magical hag who is spinning in a small hut in the middle of the forest (can't remember the excact name but there was some Japanese myth akin to that).

Can't say that I recalled that. However, I do recall thinking that this was Kurosawa's film that was most obviously inspired by Noh theater, with all the gesturing and theater-like frames and all that.

Yeah it's the Noh influence that I was referring too, over the top in the same way you get in a play, I just didn't know anything about Noh theatre before watching the film so didn't realise that's what it was until afterwards.

Three Billboards could very well win. That would be something.
It seems to be the favorite to win, I kind of think Shape of Water might take it.
I feel you on that. For me I first thought the older girl was going to be the same person, but when her name flashed as Joan on screen that threw me off. When she was shown the photo of the black haired girl by the father and went in the bathroom to have a laugh, I went back to thinking it was the same girl. I think it was ok to have two different actors, and even her telling the couple a fake name is fine, but I think showing her fake name on screen was unnecessary misdirection.
Just back from Phantom Thread. I liked it a lot, very strange but you couldn't help but be drawn into the world of the film, stylistically it was very lavish, you do hear that word all the time in film reviews, but it certainly applies here, it looked fantastic. All in an interesting, but often puzzling character study - though obviously with strong elements of romantic drama - looking into the pysche of an egocentric artist and his muse; things get weirder at the end but I'll not spoil it, and it's not really a shattering twist or anything either. Probably need to reflect on it a bit more.
Agree on all points. You didn't mention the acting though :eek:
Henry Hill is the worst part of Goodfellas.
lul I kind of agree, it is his story though really.

Back