Movies Serious Movie Discussion

Watched The Structure of Crystal (1969) earlier.

IDnrJni.jpg

Polish film from Krzysztof Zanussi. Really good, it's about two talented Physicists - and good friends - whose lives took different courses, one (Professor Kawecki) remained in academia and became a renowned scientist, while the other (Jan) retreated to a quiet life in the countryside where he works as a meteorologist, living with his wife and children. After several years Kawecki comes to visit him in the country, leading to a reflection on their career choices, friendship and respective philosophies in life. Quite a slow, sparse and deliberate film, but it was an interesting drama looking at aspects of ordinary life. Seemed like there was a strong Bergman influence, or at least it felt like a Bergman film at points. So @europe1 would probably hate it lol.

Last edited:
I watched Good Time yesterday and it instantly became one of my fave 2017 Films.
I never thought Robert Pattinson would be in 2 of my top 2017 Films with this and Lost City of Z.
A really good Pattinson is surrounded by a bunch of unknown actors who all deliver good to great performances.Among them Benny Safdie (one half of the Directors) delivers a really good performance as Pattinsons mentally challenged brother.
Tonally the Films falls somewhere between Dog Day afternoon, After Hours & Taxi Driver.It features a great Synth score and is full of Neon lighting.

Has anybody in the SMD threads talked about this one?

I watched Good Time yesterday and it instantly became one of my fave 2017 Films.
I never thought Robert Pattinson would be in 2 of my top 2017 Films with this and Lost City of Z.
A really good Pattinson is surrounded by a bunch of unknown actors who all deliver good to great performances.Among them Benny Safdie (one half of the Directors) delivers a really good performance as Pattinsons mentally challenged brother.
Tonally the Films falls somewhere between Dog Day afternoon, After Hours & Taxi Driver.It features a great Synth score and is full of Neon lighting.

Has anybody in the SMD threads talked about this one?

Haven't seen it yet but I really like After Hours, Dog Day Afternoon, and Taxi Driver so I'm down. The trailer intrigued me.

Sorry for the late reply.

Well you mention scenes in which her motivation was clearly highlighted and I disagree that those scenes are "weak".

It's a scene from the past, written to telegraph that her current anger is guilt-driven, without contextualising it in the present through her actions. I think the hope is, "The smart ones will figure this out," or something.

Because it's hard to write.

It's not egregious. It's just not elegant.

Specifically I think the flashback clearly plays on the link between her witty putdowns previously and the different motivation were now seeing by having the exchange with the daughter take the same form......

Of course mate. Yes, she tends to trade potty-mouthed barbs with everyone. Both in the past, and in the present.......

.....The end result is really the opposite of the all too common obsession with "scoring a point" with wit as a sign you've totally won an argument.

..... but the paralleling of the scenes doesn't establish that she mouths off to the priest because she's guilty. It shows that she's angry/bitter, yes. Grieving for sure. Similar to most of the film:

What does the audience take away from the priest scene?
What do they take away from the drive-by expletive laden invective against the reporter?
What do they take away from her hitting kids in the crotch?
What do they take away when she talks to the deer?
What do they take away when she frantically tries to put out the flaming billboards?

That a character or scene must have a single clear motivation or outcome to it seems rather simplistic thinking to me, its possible for her character to have some reason to feel aggreieved in scenes like the priest but also be shown to be driven by other motivations.

I said intent of scene, not outcome/character motivation. Does it establish wants and needs clearly? If they are complicated, does it successfully portray that internal conflict?

That's surely far closer to showing the reality of the world than a lot of what we get from Hollywood.

Hollywood does complicated motivations plenty. Hell, a crowd pleaser like Good Will Hunting does all this, with the same interplay of defence mechanism/action (guilt/lashing out in anger) and the damage it can do. Heavy handed, sure. But it dramatises well.

Here's a more sophisticated representation of the same internal conflict, flashback and all. It would be hard not to conclude that Bruce Willis' actions are driven by guilt throughout the film.

In terms of actually selling drama as well I tend to be on the side of playing things more subtly, she or anyone else never comes out and claims she's driven by guilt but again that's very true of real life and I think Frances McDormand is a strong enough actress being filmed by a quality director that facial reactions sell this much more effectively. Something like Alien convent mentioned recently for be is incredibly unsubtle with its drama(especially compared to the original Alien) and suffers greatly as a result for me.

I tend to think subtlety is overrated. Obscuring motivation results in poor messaging. Also, hoping your actor will do the work of the script is bad news bears. This doesn't mean I want ham-fisted portrayals. But confusion is worse to me, every time.

Everybody wants to be the Coens. But they're the Coens.

It's a scene from the past, written to telegraph that her current anger is guilt-driven, without contextualising it in the present through her actions. I think the hope is, "The smart ones will figure this out," or something.

Because it's hard to write.

It's not egregious. It's just not elegant.

Yes, she tends to trade potty-mouthed barbs with everyone. Both in the past, and in the present.......

I would say the very fact its not "egregious" is its strength, its a scene that doesn't depend purely on personal tragedy of her reaction to her daughters death. Instead it draws you into what you think is more standard family interaction only for it to be revealed that the prickly nature of this interaction has left her saddled with guilt. That mirrors the wider impact of the scene that forces us to look at her actions previously in the film in a different manner as well.

..... but the paralleling of the scenes doesn't establish that she mouths off to the priest because she's guilty. It shows that she's angry/bitter, yes. Grieving for sure. Similar to most of the film:

What does the audience take away from the priest scene?
What do they take away from the drive-by expletive laden invective against the reporter?
What do they take away from her hitting kids in the crotch?
What do they take away when she talks to the deer?
What do they take away when she frantically tries to put out the flaming billboards?

I said intent of scene, not outcome/character motivation. Does it establish wants and needs clearly? If they are complicated, does it successfully portray that internal conflict?

Your assuming that the audience needs to know total character motivation as each scene unfolds, I don't believe that's the case, its perfectly possible for a film to reveal some new motivation for previous events after the fact.

I felt her interaction with Harrelson's shieff evolved very nicely in this fashion as well showing that what might have looked like pure antagonism actually did have some degree of mutual respect.

Hollywood does complicated motivations plenty. Hell, a crowd pleaser like Good Will Hunting does all this, with the same interplay of defence mechanism/action (guilt/lashing out in anger) and the damage it can do. Heavy handed, sure. But it dramatises well.

Here's a more sophisticated representation of the same internal conflict, flashback and all. It would be hard not to conclude that Bruce Willis' actions are driven by guilt throughout the film.

I tend to think subtlety is overrated. Obscuring motivation results in poor messaging. Also, hoping your actor will do the work of the script is bad news bears. This doesn't mean I want ham-fisted portrayals. But confusion is worse to me, every time.

Everybody wants to be the Coens. But they're the Coens

Well you can dislike subtle cinema if you want to I spose but that does not to me put you in a very good position to claim to judge ithe specific merits of an example of it.

I enjoyed Looper but a good deal of its success comes from the complexity of its world building, in terms of its drama I would not personally say its some gold standard other films should look to reach. Its character motivations do go beyond the standard ones its true but there tends to be a lack of complexity and realism to those motivations to me with to much dependence on telling us them in a straight forward fashion.

I think McDonagh's strength is that whilst his films do have to a greater or lesser degree somewhat elevated reality the characters do actually have a more nuanced motivation and morality to them. In mean the fact that nobody reaches the kind of moral perfection of Joseph Gordon Levitt's sacrifice at the end of Looper doesn't mean they don't either progress morally or have greater morality revealed, something I find a truer reflection of real life.

Leaving space for your actors to sell your drama is I'd say generally a sign of good film making, humans are afterall keyed to empathise with people as well as concepts, an actor showing sadness, anger, etc effectively is generally going to beat just telling us there emotional state.

Last edited:
Watched some of A Serious Man. Probably one of my favourite Coen films, perfect take on 'the absurd' and De Beauvoir's idea of the serious man.

Pretty good vid-essay about it:

Also rewatched one of my favourite films.

Why Has Bodhidharma Left for the East? (1989)
1*yIn2-r83xmDs-NoSjlMdRQ.png

A stunning film about "the physical and spiritual struggles of an old master, a young monk and an orphaned boy in a remote monastery in the mountains of Korea". It provides some insight into Seon Buddhist views of life and death (better known as Zen in the Japanese variety).

I would say the very fact its not "egregious" is its strength

Forgive me. I'm not sure what you mean here. I was referring to the decision to reveal her guilt in a flashback as "not egregious". Not the scene itself, or her actions.

Instead it draws you into what you think is more standard family interaction only for it to be revealed that the prickly nature of this interaction has left her saddled with guilt. That mirrors the wider impact of the scene that forces us to look at her actions previously in the film in a different manner as well.

So basically, "The smart ones will figure this out." ;)

That's OK as well. I tend not to be sold on writing I have to do the work for.

Your assuming that the audience needs to know total character motivation as each scene unfolds

Nope; it's an exercise. I'm trying to tie the conversation down to specifics because it helps to discuss writing beyond stating the way we feel instinctively about it ("I like it because it doesn't feel cliche or straightforward") by nailing it down to how functional it is (what did the scene intend and how far was it successful).

I wasn't arguing the motivations of every scene, but asking what Heyes' most visceral scenes conveyed to the audience on the whole about her character. To put it simply, someone who feels guilty about her little girl being raped doesn't kick a girl of a similar age in the vagina.

You found the flashback contextualised these actions (they were borne of guilt). I think the audience laughed at each, and moved on to the next (angry lady is funny).

I felt her interaction with Harrelson's shieff evolved very nicely in this fashion as well showing that what might have looked like pure antagonism actually did have some degree of mutual respect.

Can you track this evolution in the script? This was the arc of the relationship as I read it:

BEAT I: She blames him enough to call him out in public with billboards, and to refuse to (albeit with some hesitation) give a shit about his cancer.

BEAT II: She beats up the dentist and is kind to him when he coughs blood onto her.

BEAT III: She respects him because he paid for the billboards for another month before croaking.

Did I miss a script beat between the two? Outside of his being sick, why respect him? For pity? Is that strong on the page to you?

Perhaps it is, but recall that Willoughby's major motivations - what turned her - are revealed via voiced-over epistles. None of his on-screen actions tell us anything about him until the letters spell out the "why". Was it subtle/nuanced to explain why he paid for billboards, why he thought Dixon should change, why he was taking his own life, in letters?

Well you can dislike subtle cinema if you want to I spose....

Not sure where you got that from. I just don't think the quality of being "subtle" or "nuanced" makes a film work better than, for example, a good action movie. I probably lean towards good genre fare, but on any given day can enjoy movies where character motivations are all over the place.

Here's why:

Subtlety doesn't matter. For one, whether a film is subtle depends too much on a person's viewing history to really mean anything. It's an exercise in vanity to judge a film in such light, because it pits ones viewing history against other viewers'. It isn't about the film, but you.

What matters is whether the film (largely) achieves its ends despite perceived subtlety or a lack of it.

.... but that does not to me put you in a very good position to claim to judge ithe specific merits of an example of it.

:)

That's fine. You wouldn't be the first. I like to think I'm not judging anything. I didn't care for the film but like to talk about it regardless. And in that sense, it adds value to my life.

I enjoyed Looper but a good deal of its success comes from the complexity of its world building, in terms of its drama I would not personally say its some gold standard other films should look to reach. Its character motivations do go beyond the standard ones its true but there tends to be a lack of complexity and realism to those motivations to me with to much dependence on telling us them in a straight forward fashion.

I think McDonagh's strength is that whilst his films do have to a greater or lesser degree somewhat elevated reality the characters do actually have a more nuanced motivation and morality to them. In mean the fact that nobody reaches the kind of moral perfection of Joseph Gordon Levitt's sacrifice at the end of Looper doesn't mean they don't either progress morally or have greater morality revealed, something I find a truer reflection of real life.

Yup. The subtlety thing. Got it. Good to know where you're coming from.

Leaving space for your actors to sell your drama is I'd say generally a sign of good film making, humans are afterall keyed to empathise with people as well as concepts, an actor showing sadness, anger, etc effectively is generally going to beat just telling us there emotional state.

Dramatisation isn't a character telling the viewer his/her emotional state. It's when the medium does this work.

This is great dramatisation:

Watched some of A Serious Man. Probably one of my favourite Coen films, perfect take on 'the absurd' and De Beauvoir's idea of the serious man.

Such a good film. I struggled with it the first time but it worked better for me once I'd seen the rest of their work.

Last edited:
Honestly it seems a bit of a waste of time to carry on with bullet points Ricky when ultimately each of them is really talking about the same thing, hence your complaints about similar replys.

I would reject the idea you seem to be pushing that this debate must represent some kind of divide, that we must choose more straight forward cinema over that which askes more of the viewer or vice versa. I certainly enjoy something like Diehard as much as anyone but again I wouldn't hold it up as a standard of drama that other films must meet, I mean its dramatically stronger and more realistic than most action blockbusters but ultimately that's still what it is with action/tension as much of the appeal and doesn't have the focus on develop its characters to the same degree and sticks to telling a rather straight forward story with them.

As far as the merits of dramatic subtly go no I don't think they are purely down to patting yourself on the back for picking up on them. I would say rather that its merits are that its a closer reflection of the real world were people tend to have complex and not always easily discernible motivations and morality.

More specifically in this film I would say the relationship between Mildred and Willoughby does give us inductions of there actual positions from the start in that as you mention she isn't totally heartless towards his illness. Rather there exists a divide between the man and his job which she ultimately excepts the reverse of, being willing to take the public hatred putting his name back up will bring.

Last edited:
Honestly it seems a bit of a waste of time to carry on with bullet points Ricky when ultimately each of them is really talking about the same thing, hence your complaints about similar replys.

That's fine.

Bullet point thing: I do it to make sure I am addressing separate aspects of what you're saying without seeming dismissive of others. It was a courtesy, really.

I would reject the idea you seem to be pushing that this debate must represent some kind of divide, that we must choose more straight forward cinema over that which askes more of the viewer or vice versa.

Nope. Never said that. But like you said, no point going through that again. If it helps, try not to see this as my deciding what people should like, but talking about the ways in which a movie is working on people.

I certainly enjoy something like Diehard as much as anyone but again I wouldn't hold it up as a standard of drama that other films must meet, I mean its dramatically stronger and more realistic than most action blockbusters but ultimately that's still what it is with action/tension as much of the appeal and doesn't have the focus on develop its characters to the same degree and sticks to telling a rather straight forward story with them.

I linked the video to show you why the scene was a strong example of dramatisation: explaining character through the camera (think about how much you know about their relationship from the touchscreen bit). Not to hold up Die Hard as the greatest film ever.

It is though. ;)

As far as the merits of dramatic subtly go no I don't think they are purely down to patting yourself on the back for picking up on them. I would say rather that its merits are that its a closer reflection of the real world were people tend to have complex and not always easily discernible motivations and morality.

Yup. The disagreement is over whether Billboards does that well. Not over whether this is a good thing or not.

More specifically in this film I would say the relationship between Mildred and Willoughby does give us inductions of there actual positions from the start in that as you mention she isn't totally heartless towards his illness. Rather there exists a divide between the man and his job which she ultimately excepts the reverse of, being willing to take the public hatred putting his name back up will bring.

Sure. Thanks for explaining.

It's been good. Cheers.

Watched Angel Heart yesterday.. whats everyone's thoughts on this one. Definitley a strange film that I don't know was all the way effective as it could have been. It seemed like one long tales from the crypt episode sometimes to me. Enjoyed it overall...its sobering to see what Mickey Rourke used to be like.

angel-heart-mickey-rourke.jpg

watched a really good movie for the first time yesterday

to live and die in LA

not sure how i've missed this one

a solid 8.5 in my opinion

also finally got around to watching creed, better than i expected. I give it a 7.5

been watching a lot of horror/supernatural//thriller movies too

some good, some bad

The Witch (2015) 7/10
Ouija, origin of evil 7/10
Jeepers Creepers 3 3/10 and turned into a comedy movie
Dead silence 5/10 worth a watch, good ending
The monster 4/10
Purge 1 5/10

watched a really good movie for the first time yesterday

to live and die in LA

not sure how i've missed this one

a solid 8.5 in my opinion

also finally got around to watching creed, better than i expected. I give it a 7.5

been watching a lot of horror/supernatural//thriller movies too

some good, some bad

The Witch (2015) 7/10
Ouija, origin of evil 7/10
Jeepers Creepers 3 3/10 and turned into a comedy movie
Dead silence 5/10 worth a watch, good ending
The monster 4/10
Purge 1 5/10
Jeepers creepers is such an awful name I never checked it out.

Jeepers creepers is such an awful name I never checked it out.
"hey this guy is throwing bodies down a shoot, lets go check it out"

I genuinely enjoyed Alien:Covenant. Obviously the dumb crew and stupid moments detracted from it, but David is a fascinating character and there has never been a franchise this nihilistic and bleak. You dont see a movie with tthe villain as the main character too often, and he makes it work.

I do wish they didnt kill of Shaw though, especially offscreen
I really HATE the cgi aliens.

Watched Angel Heart yesterday.. whats everyone's thoughts on this one. Definitley a strange film that I don't know was all the way effective as it could have been. It seemed like one long tales from the crypt episode sometimes to me. Enjoyed it overall...its sobering to see what Mickey Rourke used to be like.

Really underappriciated Neo Noir.De Niro & Rourke are fantastic in it.
Alan Parker is a great Director.Check out Midnight Express, Birdy, Fame or Bugsy Malone by him.

Back