Serious Diet/Supplement Advice Request

Tek9Designs

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,
New member to the forum, just started reading the other day. I know everyone's body and metabolism is different, but I wanted to get as many opinions as possible, and I see that there are quite a few intelligent people on here that could help me. I plan on talking to a personal trainer and a dietician soon, but decided to start here first. So here's my deal:

Ever since I was 5 years old, I've been a little overweight (oddly enough, its when my parents got divorced.) I would describe my body similar to Drew Carey's, skinnier arms and legs, then with the big stomach, lack of muscle. I'm 5'10'' and 185, not a whole lot of muscle. At my worst I was somewhere around 205-210, then dropped to 175-180 on a low carb diet, but fell off and since gained some weight back. I'm 19 years old now, and serious about doing all the right things to get in shape. As stated, I've had fairly good success with the low carb diet, and I wasn't really exercising with much regularity during it.

I want to trim down, maybe get to 165-170, and then start gaining muscle. I read that its better to put on the muscle first, but I'm just so sick of being fat I'm willing to concentrate on just the weight loss before concentrating on the muscle building. I figure I can put on a little bit of muscle anyways just by exercising (would be better than what I'm doing now).

So here's my question:

If I were to go with the low carb diet, what is a good way to start off? I have the Atkins book, so I can use that as guidelines as far as dieting. I heard the South Beach Diet works better however. But mainly, I ask, what are good exercises and supplements to use with either diet? I'm thinking 45-60 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week, alternating between 15 minutes or so each of cycling to running then back to cycling.

I've never done weight training, so suggestions for a beginner would be lots of help. And also, what supplements to use? I read whey protein is a good one, alongside creatine, but I believe thats more for muscle building. I want to concentrate just on weight loss right now. Do any of those fat loss pills, (TrimSpa, Stacker, etc.) work enough where they're worth the $$? I know its all about hard work in dieting/exercise, but I figure a little help can't hurt. I have Centrum multivitamins to take as well. Keep in mind I'm trying to circle everything around a low carb diet.

Any other dieting suggestions are also warmly welcomed, so please a little help to a beginner on where to start off at. Thanks guys, and hopefully this will go well where I can return in a few months for some pointers for gaining muscle! :)

My only diet advice is to get off that low-carb shit and get on a real diet. If you need a pop diet, then the most scientific one I've seen for weight loss is "The Low GI Revolution."

As far as exercise, yeah, 3-4 times a week for 45-60 minutes is perfect. Keep your heart rate between 70-85% of your maximum (which is 220 minus your age). Don't go higher, or the energy you burn won't be fat. Since you're new, I'd stick to the lower end: 70-75%. You could do aerobic exercise practically every day, since it only takes 24 hours to recover, but you're new, so you should stay at or below 5. Four is probably best. You won't overtax your muscles.

Lift a little, but no more than 15-30 minutes. Do the big movements: squat, deadlift, bench, lat pulldown or pull-ups. Do that 2-3 days a week, perferably before your cardio, but it doesn't matter that much with your goals. It speeds the hell out of your metabolism.

Eat every 2-3 hours. That speeds your metabolism, too.

Get a skin fold test. This will help you figure out your metabolic needs: how many calories you need to just exist. I'm not going through that. You're after your Resting Metabolic Rate. Then figure out how many calories you're burning (exercise equipment will tell you). Trying to take in 500 fewer calories per day than this number. You may kick it up to 100 calories. You will lose 1-2 pounds a week doing this, nearly entirely fat, if you eat well.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em comin!

What supplements do you suggest too? I've been told Mega Men Sport multi-vitamins are best, and SANs Tight is helpful.

I've never heard of the Low GI Revolution, I just mention low carb because its worked for me in the past. I was looking at a strict South Beach diet, and I am willing to bet that it would work. But can you give me more of the Low GI Revolution you speak of? Thanks

The Atkins Diet sucks bro.You will get results but it will kill your energy levels. I don't really know if theres a name for the diet that I'm on but I eat healthy. For carbs, you want the complex form. Complex carbs are things like oatmeal, anything whole grain, brown rice (I believe its complex carb) , etc. For snacks eat nuts, fruits, or yogurt. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

Tek9Designs said:
Any other advice before I start tomorrow?

omega-3 fatty acids (in fish oil or flaxseed oil) speed up metabolism so be sure to take those as well as a multivitamin.. :wink:

a good greens powder and fiber especially will help as well..

What does a greens powder and fiber do exactly. Havnt seen anything written about either of them.

codysweet02 said:
What does a greens powder and fiber do exactly. Havnt seen anything written about either of them.

greens for general health/vitality/energy and to alkalize your blood (randy couture uses lightforce greens (the ones they sell on sherdog).. but i'm sure there are cheaper alternatives) and a consistent dose of fiber to move your bowels daily for optimum health... i've read that a whole lotta protein intake can slow your bowel movements..

Fiber also absorbs fats, so it's not a good idea to take your omega-3's with it..

check this thread out:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=289200 :wink:

supersudo said:
i've read that a whole lotta protein intake can slow your bowel movements..

This always seems to be offset by a large cup of steaming hot black (very strong) coffee in the morning.

Tek9Designs said:
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em comin!

What supplements do you suggest too? I've been told Mega Men Sport multi-vitamins are best, and SANs Tight is helpful.

I've never heard of the Low GI Revolution, I just mention low carb because its worked for me in the past. I was looking at a strict South Beach diet, and I am willing to bet that it would work. But can you give me more of the Low GI Revolution you speak of? Thanks
I like the low gi rev diet. In my opinion it is a pretty healthy choice and i am currently considering starting it for myself. On the low gi diet you eat foods with a low glycemic index. These foods take longer to digest so they minimise insulin swings throughout the day. And it is thought that those insulin swings prevent us from burning fat.

the thing that really kicks ass about the diet is you can eat carbs. They recomend 7 servings of fruits and veggies a day. Plus you can have four servings of low gi high carb foods including certain types of bread oatmeal and all kinds of other good shit. They urge you to keep your fat intake low to moderate and your protien intake can be whatever you want (should be pretty high).

As for suppliments vitamins are good and protien is good anything else i personally shy away from.

And your training should include weights 3 days a week. One day you should work on squats and i mean real fucking squats, not a machine. your second day you work on your bench press. and your third day you work on your deadlift. lift heavy. go see the stickies in strength and power for more detail.

Yeah dude, stay away from fad diets. They suck.

As for supplements, your main concern is diet. Get that straight before you start looking into supplements.

Also, since you are trying to lose weight, I would recomment drinking green tea.

You can not go wrong with green tea.

I'm not overweight, but I was talking to the doctor at the gym I train at and he gave me a diet that he usually gives to people that are overweight. It's a generally good diet.

morning:
1/2 glass of orange juice
1/2 - 1 glass of water
get yourself cleaned up then have breakfast
oatmeal is your friend. Eat a bowl and a hard boiled egg for breakfast.

Lunch:
If you can't make your own healthy sandwich for lunch, Subway is your friend. 6in sandwich on wheat NOT white. Cheese is ok, but stay away from the fatty sauces. Lots of veggies on it. Switch up the meat frequently or you will get sick of it.

Dinner:
Real food. Chicken, steak, or lean ground beef. Small salad w/ lowfat dressing.

Misc:
A piece of fruit or nuts can make good snacks.
Drink at least a gallon of water per day.

Yeah, don't think diet, think healthy living style change. I know it's corny, but really it's just something will be constantly evolving. When in doubt, think fresh food first, the produce section is where you should do most of your shopping. Then meat and dairy and grains. Train hard and eat carbs, and you'll lose weight if you cut down on portions. Everything you need to know is in this forum. Also, I wouldn't alternate on the cycling/running during your session. Just do one at a time on different days. Once you have a comfortable base, throw in some intervals, and high intensity work. That will speed your metabolism the most.

supersudo said:
omega-3 fatty acids (in fish oil or flaxseed oil) speed up metabolism so be sure to take those as well as a multivitamin.. :wink:

a good greens powder and fiber especially will help as well..
Agreed, these are the exact supplements I am taking. More for general health. The healthier you are overall, the better your lifting will be. No explination needed.

yea, i agree with everyone who says stay away from teh low-carb. reduce your caloric intake, do cardio, weight training and eat right. look at the food pyramid and you should get a good idea of what to eat. you have got to train like you mean it. ive lost 60-70 lbs in 4 months by watchin what i eat, upping my protien intake as well as fiber, cuttin calories and work out psychotically.

I appreciate your guys comments, and once I lose weight I may switch up my diet, but like I said I know low carb has definately worked for me in the past. That was without working out too.
So I started South Beach, with a typical day looking something like:
Breakfast - Egg omellette with green beans, cheese, celery and a small glass of milk
Lunch - Tuna wraps in lettuce with cheese and mustard
Dinner - Chicken breast/Steak/Hamburger meat, brocoli, and black beans
Snacks - String cheese/cashews/veggies/meats throughout the day when I'm hungry (not too often surprisingly, but still something small to keep metabolism goin)

Gallon of water throughout the day

Working out 3-4 times a week, doing the rotation of cycling, to running, then back to cycling. I'm doing concentrated workouts each day, rotating muscle sets throughout the week.

I'm taking Mega Men multi-vitamins, and a caffeine/guarana/green tea stack.

I understand this diet won't be for the rest of my life, but phase 1 of South Beach. I can tolerate this for 2 weeks in the long terms of things, before I start including fruits and eventually whole wheat oatmeals/breads/etc.

I'm confident I can succeed on this diet/exercise plan, and will let you guys know my progress.

One thing I found strange, was my urine was the brightest I've ever seen it. I don't know if it was my system flushing because I normally don't drink that much water, but my urine was the color of lemon-lime, yellow Gatorade. It went away midway after the second day, but I just don't recall it ever being like that before.

Tek9Designs said:
I'm taking Mega Men multi-vitamins, and a caffeine/guarana/green tea stack.

hmm.. guarana and caffeine are molecularly the same.. so u're probably getting WAYYYY too much caffeine in that stack..

One thing I found strange, was my urine was the brightest I've ever seen it. I don't know if it was my system flushing because I normally don't drink that much water, but my urine was the color of lemon-lime, yellow Gatorade. It went away midway after the second day, but I just don't recall it ever being like that before.

that's from the multi-vitamin... b-vitamins make your urine bright yellow bcuz excess gets pissed out.. same thing happens with vitamin C and other water-soluble vitamins..

and yes.. hydration is very important.. and i still recommend fish oil, and a greens and fiber powder.. :wink:

Okay guys, so its been about 2 weeks and I've lost about 10 pounds, working out 4 times a week.

Problem is, I'm a student then work after school, its hard for me to have the proper food to eat throughout the day, and I find myself going through half the day without eating in order to stay on the diet. This isn't good for my metabolism, so I need to find a better diet where I can eat throughout the day. I'm thinking just eating healthier in general, while keeping the calorie count low, and ignoring these specific diets.

I'm thinking something like
Breakfast:
Oatmeal / Cereal (How is Smart Start?)
Glass of milk/orange juice
Apple/Orange
Piece of whole wheat toasted bread

Lunch:
Turkey/Tuna/Roast Beef Sandwich
Are there good chips? Like Sunchips for example?
Carrot Sticks
Low fat fruit yogurt

Dinner:
Chicken/Steak/Hamburger on whole wheat bun
Brown Rice
Salad
Broccoli/Corn

What pastas are good?

I just don't feel that the South Beach diet is something I can stick to with a busy schedule.

Back