Sergei Kharitonov explains reasons for not signing with the UFC

The post-Fedor HW era is so ambiguous. At least Marciano and Tyson were dominant champs in their respective "weak" divisions. Before Fedor it was a mishmash, then Nog came along and built a tower. When Fedor felled that tower, we became spoiled. Now, post-Fedor, we have a mess.

A competitive division does not equal "a mess." In fact the division was far less interesting before Werdum destroyed Cain, since most people thought it a foregone conclusion that Cain would beat everyone off his performances against JDS.

Now people see Cain as a beatable fighter, which means more contenders are emerging. This is good for the sport.

prolly comes down in a large part to money and feeling the UFC will not promote him as well as he feels he deserves

He appears to be suggesting that there are Russian fighters fighting in the UFC who should have been given title shots but were denied those fights due to some sort of anti-Russian sentiment. Um, what?

This. Who is he talking about?

A competitive division does not equal "a mess." In fact the division was far less interesting before Werdum destroyed Cain, since most people thought it a foregone conclusion that Cain would beat everyone off his performances against JDS.

Now people see Cain as a beatable fighter, which means more contenders are emerging. This is good for the sport.

No, don't get me wrong. I agree. This atmosphere is the kind of parity that usually precedes a supernova, so I'm just waiting for a young heavyweight to come in and start tearing holes in everyone.

He got easily submitted by Barnett. He get submitted just as easily by Werdum.

But stylistically he would have great fights in UFC. Him vs Browne, JDS, Hunt. even a rematch against Arlovski or finally a match vs Fedor if he indeed gets sign as well.

Does Bellator have non-exclusive contracts? Would be nice to see him vs Kongo, or some other interesting fight once in a while. So Americans can also see the guy.

This. Who is he talking about?

I'm not sure. I mean, Khabib beat Gleison Tibau, who was highly-regarded, then was relegated to beating other back-end fighters for three more fights culminating in him dispatching Pat fuckin' Healy. So yeah, I guess there could be a complaint there. I mean, Pat Healy is a good fighter, but is he really where you should be when you beat Tibau three fights ago and are on a dominant win streak?

Arlovski (not a Russian, but identifiable with "Eastern" Europe to the common Westerner) has been treated fine, although I suppose you could argue he deserves the title fight after taking care of Schaub, Bigfoot, and Browne.

Regardless of how you slice it, Sergei is at even odds to win the UFC title if he came over. His losses were basically to elite wrestlers (prime Barnett and Monson) and also to crazy-ass scary fast Aleks. Sure, he lost to Uberknees once too, but he avenged that by knocking Reem out cold in the first round. There aren't any top HW's who are fast enough or good enough offensive grapplers to be a heavy favorite over Sergei right now. He's already beaten two of the top 3-4 guys in Werdum and Arlovski.

Prime Brock / current Fedor give him problems. Werdum's cardio might give him problems, but not sure Werdum could get him down and keep him there in the early rounds, and Sergei is a goddamned gangster on the feet.

He should have shown some money figures proving that he's making more than he would have with the UFC.

Yes, because he is so damn worried about what people like you think about his payment and he definitely needs to show you how much money he makes.

No, don't get me wrong. I agree. This atmosphere is the kind of parity that usually precedes a supernova, so I'm just waiting for a young heavyweight to come in and start tearing holes in everyone.

Good god why? So we can have some more predictable HW fights? No, I much prefer not being sure of who will win.

I know he's Belarussian, but Arlovski is riding a 10 fight winning streak if you discount the controversial fights against Rumble and Timmah.

He didn't get a title shot, he was passed over for the fat mexican who lost his last fight in embarrassing fashion.

The anti-Russian bias sounds a little far-fetched, but I can't blame him for not wanting to waste his last productive years stuck in a contract that'll limit how much money he can make.

His last kick boxing match was vs Anderson Silva.

Instead of complaining, people should watch his fights and rate his opposition according to their performance against Kharitonov.

This is how you recruit new promising HWs.

Thanks to top fighters like Monson, Kharitonov, Ricco, even Alex... who fought interpromotionally.

Kennedy made 260,000 dollars for two fights in 2014. That doesn't include sponsors, appearance fees, undisclosed bonuses, or any salary he may have received.

That does not seem that bad for me who's not top 5

Probably still on dat Strikeforce money.

Also Sergei has previously mentioned that the UFC didn't offer him enough money. UFC cheaps out again and people wonder why the HW division is dead.

I'm certain that during Zuffa meetings, the first thing on the agenda is how to deny Russia a champion fighter. Most American millionaires collude and obsess over Russia, dedicating their lives towards harming the Russian national pride - this is known. Lord Putin himself has revealed their evil intentions numerous times, in between discovering ancient artifacts and sinking American submarines in the Black Sea with his mighty spear gun.

I know he's Belarussian, but Arlovski is riding a 10 fight winning streak if you discount the controversial fights against Rumble and Timmah.

He didn't get a title shot, he was passed over for the fat mexican who lost his last fight in embarrassing fashion.

Pretty much, its not that Russians don't have the potential to get title shots but its not a market the UFC is focused on so many other fighters will tend to get preferential treatment.

Here is the most important part of the interview:

Asked what sort of contract would tempt Kharitonov to join the UFC roster, Kharitonov revealed that he wanted to remain active and work his way towards a title shot within the year.

"I would want a contract for one year with three fights, which provided I win the first two, grants me a title fight."

Here is the most important part of the interview:

Asked what sort of contract would tempt Kharitonov to join the UFC roster, Kharitonov revealed that he wanted to remain active and work his way towards a title shot within the year.

"I would want a contract for one year with three fights, which provided I win the first two, grants me a title fight."

I think it's sad that the top MMA promotion can't keep their HWs busy...

Back