Sergei Kharitonov explains reasons for not signing with the UFC

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
Currently riding a five-fight win streak dating back to 2011, many fans and pundits believed it would only be a matter of time before Sergei Kharitonov would join the UFC heavyweight ranks. Yet in a recent interview with Russian news source MK, Kharitonov revealed the reasons that made him hesitant to sign with the promotion.

"To be honest, I just think that the UFC does not need a Russian champion," Kharitonov explained. "This conclusion I made a long time watching this promotion. Our guys are fighting, fighting, and do not get a title shot. But we are trying. Sooner or later."

Over the past two years, Kharitonov has fought for M-1 Global, Tech-Krep Fighting Championships and even dabbled in kickboxing for Glory. Given the contractual freedom to fight wherever he pleased, Kharitonov was cautious about signing away that freedom by joining the UFC.

"As for me, I am 35 years old, I am no longer a young athlete. If I sign a contract with the UFC, they will give me one fight a year. And now, in the previous two years, I've had almost seven bouts. Therefore, I believe that I chose the right position. I stand where I want and where I am given the opportunity. I fight at the same time with worthy men."

However, Kharitonov, who holds a win over current UFC champion Fabricio Werdum, is still interested in a rematch against the Brazilian.

"If I get an invitation, I would love to fight with Werdum again."

More: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/1...reasons-for-not-signing-with-the-ufc-mma-news

He's finally told people of the reasons he never signed with the UFC. I've been wanting him to sign since Pride was bought out.

He should have shown some money figures proving that he's making more than he would have with the UFC.

He appears to be suggesting that there are Russian fighters fighting in the UFC who should have been given title shots but were denied those fights due to some sort of anti-Russian sentiment. Um, what?

He's also mentioned in the past as well as here that he likes the freedom. He doesn't like being tied down and told when to fight. Being independent, he can fight as much or as little as he wants and negotiate his pay for each fight.

I also think the UFC fall out with Golden Glory didn't help.

He appears to be suggesting that there are Russian fighters fighting in the UFC who should have been given title shots but were denied those fights due to some sort of anti-Russian sentiment. Um, what?

Yeah I'm not making much sense out of his comments at the moment either.

i guess he is content crushing cans. i myself would want the challenge and honor you get fighting and beating formidable opponents.

He's not really "dabbled" in kickboxing, I would say that's been his main focus for most of the last 5 years.

Honestly I'd probably preffer to see him carry on with that rather than fighting MMA, it seems to be what his tailored his skill set to where as his MMA grappling has looked like a shadow of what it once was.

So disappointing he never got signed.

I thought he actually killed Arlovski when they fought in Strikeforce.

He's not really "dabbled" in kickboxing, I would say that's been his main focus for most of the last 5 years.

Honestly I'd probably preffer to see him carry on with that rather than fighting MMA, it seems to be what his tailored his skill set to where as his MMA grappling has looked like a shadow of what it once was.

he looked fat and slow the last time I saw him fight

Okay, so he has no interest in fighting in the UFC..
But.. He would love to fight Werdum again if he were invited..
Make up your mind.

Still sucks he never did sign. Tons of fun match ups and I think casuals would really like him.

Okay, so he has no interest in fighting in the UFC..
But.. He would love to fight Werdum again if he were invited..
Make up your mind.

It sounds like he would do the UFC only if he'll be fighting top guys but he's afraid he'd be locked in to a contract, lose his first fight to a nobody then stuck in obscurity fighting once a year on prelims, neither fame nor money.

Makes sense in this case

Hes honestly right, if he wasnt top 5 in the UFC he probably wouldnt have made the money he makes fighting 7x a year

M-1 is also anti-Russian. Not giving him a fight even against some contender.

And non-Russians are fighting for the title. There must be some conspiracy.

Hes honestly right, if he wasnt top 5 in the UFC he probably wouldnt have made the money he makes fighting 7x a year

Too bad he had only one fight this year.

Playing the poor oppressed Russian card, I see.

Bagautinov fought for the title, lost, pissed hot.
Khabilov would have fought for the title had he beaten Bendo, but he didn't. Then he lost another fight after that one.
Khabib fights once every 5 years so that's his body's fault, not the UFC's.

No other Russians are worth mentioning at the moment.

Fighting 7 times a year all over the world>>> fighting once a year in the UFC for 15k a fight reebok kit money.

If you're not a major star in the UFC you're getting paid shit.

Tim Kennedy already explained how and why.

UFC isnt for guys like Sergei who are 35 and paid their dues.

i guess he is content crushing cans. i myself would want the challenge and honor you get fighting and beating formidable opponents.

You... yourself ?!

funny-gif-Steve-Carell-laughing.gif

Not sure either is valid at all. The random Anti-Russian thing if that's what he truly meant. Is foolish. And one fight a year? UFC is putting on shows weekly. Heavyweight may be harder but if he wanted to fight three times they easily would be able to and would do it.

He could probably fight more even. But the difference is he wouldn't be fighting nobodies and actually be challenged/damaged so fighting all the time wouldn't be an option.

He's older, it's fine. Just think his reasons are bad. Just come out say you make more fighting easy opponents over there and be done with it. We'd understand.

Back