Self Train/Learning

Honestly, you're better off wasting 3 hours of transport time to get to a proper gym even if you went once a week. Hitting a bag at home will only give you a false sense of security which is not good, you need a wide range of sparring partners and a lot of rounds to apply the skills you have learnt and develop a sense of understanding.

I know you said this is a short term arrangement so I would urge you not to buy any speed bag or heavy bag until you get to a proper club in case you develop bad habits.

If you want to improve your fitness and conditioning there are many things you can do for free, I would recommend: HIIT, shadow boxing (way better than speed bag work) and long runs.

If you wanna have fun and and get a workout, fuck it get a heavy bag and bang away, but don't expect to come into a club and start beating guys up if you've never beaten someone up or taken a whooping yourself. You gotta take a lot of whoopings before you start dishing them out yourself.

I'm with FTW, I wouldn't recomend home training if you have no access to a gym at all and less than a years experience in a gym. You haven't the experience to self critique and your have nobody to correct your form. You'll pick up bad habits that will be more difficult to get rid of than if you just waited until you could get to a coach and start with a blank slate.
Just get fit. Run, jump rope, chin ups, burpees, squats, etc instead of hitting a bag.

OR, post your nearest town to where you live and see if somebody can hook you up. You never know, somebody could be driving past your place to get to the gym?

I disagree.

One can become pretty good in striking if they compare and contrast their form with the form of great fighters. Yes it requires great flim study but it can be done. My current skillset wasn't taught to me- it was build up over time through flim study and countless drilling on on my own after my trainer passed ( my dad)

Why are you so concerned with conditioning, by the way?

because thats where I can evolve the most, like other people said its hard to evolve on technique by myself

also, I went from doing MMA at mornings, BJJ at night and bike riding at afternoon every day, to do nothing now that Im at dad's house and far away from everything. And basically started to have much trouble sleeping because I was mentally tired but full of phisical energy, so I need to do something that drains my energy (has someone been throught this?)

@crossFTW, @ NAKMUAY18

I get what your saying, its not like I'm pretending Im gonna gain a ton of skill, I know I wont by myself.
But for the future 3-5months I have to live with this situation, cant afford to lose 3h a day on transportation atm, but I will 100% go back to gyms after this.

I disagree.

One can become pretty good in striking if they compare and contrast their form with the form of great fighters. Yes it requires great flim study but it can be done. My current skillset wasn't taught to me- it was build up over time through flim study and countless drilling on on my own after my trainer passed ( my dad)

without trying to overwhelm myself, what kind of conditioning exercices did you do? how did you learn them/how did u do them
which ones helped u the most?

I disagree.

Sorry to hear about that man.

I just think there's a big differance between somebody that has SOME training and somebody that has none when it comes to self training. The hours used to get something close to good technique can be used more productively IMO. A good coach can get your jab looking good in a couple of weeks for example. You might take a couple of months by yourself, and even then if you have a fundamental flaw you might have to relearn the whole thing. If your fit your progress with an eventual coach will have less hurdles too. It's easier to think when your lungs arnt ready to burst

without trying to overwhelm myself, what kind of conditioning exercices did you do? how did you learn them/how did u do them
which ones helped u the most?

I don't concern myself with conditioning when it comes to boxing. Technique is the only thing I focus on. General conditioning wil only take you so far in any sport you need specific conditioning.

If you ride bikes and bjj your conditioning level is already up to par. Do yourself a favor, buy the ultimate boxer you can get it for under 15$. Read it cover to cover, pick two techniques and drill them over and over as you flim yourself. Now go to YouTube and compare your technique to a basic instructionals. Rinse and repeat

Sorry to hear about that man.

I just think there's a big differance between somebody that has SOME training and somebody that has none when it comes to self training. The hours used to get something close to good technique can be used more productively IMO. A good coach can get your jab looking good in a couple of weeks for example. You might take a couple of months by yourself, and even then if you have a fundamental flaw you might have to relearn the whole thing. If your fit your progress with an eventual coach will have less hurdles too. It's easier to think when your lungs arnt ready to burst

thanks its cool I only brought it up to prove a point.

Those same months that you spend alone working your technique makes your mind more critical and sensitive to technique in yourself and others.

My current skillset wasn't taught to me- it was build up over time through flim study and countless drilling on on my own

Nothin wrong with self-traning, as long as you have a people to test your skillset on.
I'm self-trained too my club is aimed at a big market so the techniques are very basic, but what we do have is a large stable of good fighters to spar with.

have the speed bag installed already,
when browsing here and seeing a few ppl saying the speed bag is just ancient and worthless, then quite a few people defended saying its that people just dont know how to use it correctly (for technique improvement, not only conditioning)

so.... how do i use it correctly?
i have Alan Kahn - Speed bag bible dvd, but wanted to know what things Ill have to change, while watching/learning from scratch (like is the elbows stuff even worth learning?)

Back