Self Standing Heavy Bag?

Mojorisin99

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been trying to use the heavy bag in my basement that hangs from a beam but it keeps falling off. Therefore I am thinking of investing in one of those self standing heavy bags with a speedbag on the side. Only thing is a lot of people tell me they get pushed around the room when u hit them. Anyone recommend these things?

are you talking about a water based bag or a frame foryour existing bag to hang on?

water based bags suck.

those frames are awsome

I have a heavy bag stand, don't know the brand, without the speedbag platform. I can't recomend going this route. Very flimsy, it sways, moves, and tips over even though I put sandbags and weight on it. A better way to go is to bolt that sucker to the ground, IMO.

If you get a water filled one they are ok. And as far as pushing them around the room. CIRCLE!!!!

Your supposed to use movement when you box anyways.

If you hittin a heavybag with you feet planted for 30 minutes your doing somethig wrong anyways.

I would recommend getting the spring/swivel mount that you can screw into the cieling. I used to just screw an eye-bolt into the cieling into a beam and eventually all the wear and tear would either break the bolt or strip the wood.

The swivel/spring mount takes all the strain and redirects it into the spring and it can turn on the swivel, keeping it from unscrewing.

A+ piece of equipment. Haven't had a problem since.

I have a century frame thing, with an everlast 100lb bag, and it has prongs to set weights on, so I just put the weightso n there, and yeah it moves a bit, but just put it up against the wall and u can kick/punch fine.

most store bought frame/bag combos come with 65-75lb bags. Buy a 100lb bag and that makes a difference with frame movement. Also, put a number of 45lb plates and sand bags all around it. If it still moves, put more weights/bags.

The water filled ones move too much, but you can fill them with sand and they stay pretty still. I'm hoping I don't have to move mine too often.

Yeah I have one like that, You need to put a lot of weight on them or like Rex said bolt it to the ground. I had a 100lb bag and 80lbs in weight and it ended up embeded in my wall.

With the self standing heavy bag, does the frame get in the way of kicking?

You might want to try a thai bag (attached to the beam but sitting on the floor).

Brand Nizzle said:
With the self standing heavy bag, does the frame get in the way of kicking?

Yeah kind of because, well at least on the one I have, that metal base has two legs that kind of stick out under the bag on the floor. .

I-Shoji said:
I would recommend getting the spring/swivel mount that you can screw into the cieling. I used to just screw an eye-bolt into the cieling into a beam and eventually all the wear and tear would either break the bolt or strip the wood.

The swivel/spring mount takes all the strain and redirects it into the spring and it can turn on the swivel, keeping it from unscrewing.

A+ piece of equipment. Haven't had a problem since.

Can you link me to the type of product you are talking about

I saw a Everlast free standing bag stand at Sam's Club last night for something like $128.

www.SSFgear.com

My recommendation. Forget anything like that! They're made for your average fucker that gets one for Xmas and uses it once, ever. If you a heavier body weight you'll break it. I've broken the standing water filled ones too.

Best thing. Reinforce the beam. Tie some rope or old belt around a point. Plut chain over the belt/rope then suspend the bag using super s-hooks or carbine hooks. Works for me. I've destroyed many beams, chains, and brackets.

Yeah.. some people don't have a choice like me. I live in an APT :(

EclipseAgent said:
Yeah.. some people don't have a choice like me. I live in an APT :(

I had that prob for a while. I went through 3 water filled ones in a few months.
I moved...

I have the same problem, can't fix it to the ceiling! What about something like this. Or is this what you mean by water filled bags. Thinking of getting something just like this, only question is how much movement is there when you hit it semi-hard. Does it rock right back so you have to wait to throw your second shoot or are they more like a hanging bag.

I have one like that but it feels very light when you punch it, I mean it doesn't feel heavy like a good hanging heavy bag, it's like you can almost box it over but you probably won't, and they do move alot but that's not a problem because you should move aroun the bag anyway

Back