Self destructive politics in BJJ

I dont pay anything, i help teach.

The story is a bit weird.

The head instructor of our small club is also a brown belt, but for five years.

His instructor is a 2nd degree bb (machado).

He coaches him for the last refinements needed through privates.

Our club is not affiliated under the black belt. Its just that his is the head brown belt's " personnal" instructor. The bb does rank the purples and browns when he comes by. (Courtesy for legitimacy).

Now, i saw the kind of stylistic requirements expected by the bb, and even if he offred to rank me if i changed my game and philosophy a bit, i would refuse.

I am more like a sambo- judoka in a bjj world. My game isnt typical. But yes it works against bigger oponnent etc etc. i am also vocal about bull.shit when i see it in bjj.

Little bird told me my friend should get his black belt next july. Good.

But then, he cant rank me cuz he will only be black belt no degrees...

Last edited:
Wow that's interesting. Thanks for sharing. Hope you get your belt some time soon.

Thanks man. That was the short version. But bottom line is the politics.

If i stayed with my first instructor ( wich i had up to purple) i would be black, almost first degree.

So in the end, if i am worth the bjj black belt level in techniques and in sparring, i am happy without having the actual rank.

I can always say i am a judo black belt with a decent newaza lol

Yeah, bjj politics vs belts really suck.

19 years of grappling here. 11 years of bjj. I have been a brown for four years.

Doesnt matter that much but could be ridiculous when you try to explain that to a new guy.

I would totally be for the original Gracie academy system :

White - light blue- dark blue

White belt could have the four stripes for student retention.

Light blue would be given around high blue or low purple of today

Dark blue would be equivalent of todays brown, and would be instructor level.

That would be an awesome belt system.

Back