Self destructive politics in BJJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by SAMURAI SPIRIT, May 18, 2014.

1. SAMURAI SPIRIT

SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

It seems like there are more pissed off brown belts in BJJ than pissed off blues or purples. A lot of browns leave gyms, change organizations and become black belts to open their own academies. Is that because their instructors do not want competing schools to pop up and that is why they are not promoting them? It appears that this is an ongoing trend in BJJ and that has caused a parallel industry where ticked off browns could leave their trainers and get certified as black belts. Can anyone enlighten me some more on this self-destructivism please?

2. Sexy Pants

Sexy Pants Blue Belt

I have see it happen in my area, but not as much as one would think. Most of the time, the brown feels disrespected due to the fact they have given 7-10 years of their life and they are held back by something trivial. It does become grey though and it is so subjective based on the instructors criteria. I would think 80% of browns get their blacks within 3yrs if they train consistent.

3. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

If you're going to hold back a student from promotion when they clearly deserve it then you can't complain when they leave and go somewhere else for it.

4. Waldorf

Waldorf Blue Belt

I think it's a tale as old as time. The up and commers want their chance at being the boss. Look at business where someone who thinks they can do it better and they jump off to start their own thing. When you're a purple or a brown you have that confidence in your technique and maybe teach a class or show a lot of people on the side and you love bjj and want to make it your life so one thing leads to another.

5. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

It is because they got tired of jumping through the hoops.
    Go earn a blue belt , a purple and a brown and then we can talk,

6. ThatBJJGuy

ThatBJJGuy Brown Belt

is the TS talking about that Cretone Gianni Grippo?

7. junco

junco Blue Belt

Cretan? Creatine? Creonte? I personally want to see what Creatine Gianni Grippo looks like. Would be weird.

8. Championstuff

Championstuff Brown Belt Platinum Member

Dat red powder wearing shoyoroll

9. rocklos

rocklos White Belt

I always find it a little weird when I hear stories of brown belts leaving and blaming the fact that they aren't getting their black belt. Makes me question why they started in the first place?? But I feel the same way with any belt color.

You start jiu jitsu to learn jiu jitsu and belts are the product of hard work, time, dedication and passion for the art.

10. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

I read on one BJJ website that the black belt who runs their school believes that promotions from purple to black are subjective, and not based on technique but rather, "other factors."

I know a purple belt or two that really buy into the idea that there is a difference in skill from purple to black across the board, but that's not a universal feeling.

If I was a dedicated purple belt and someone else got promoted to brown or black because they were doing more event organizing or making more sales, or because they had prestige from another martial arts circle or something, I might start to get salty. I don't know that I would, but I understand the feeling.

11. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

I imagine some of it is just brown belts feeling like they're not learning anything anymore. 7-8 years is a lot of BJJ, if you've been with one coach that whole time you may know pretty much everything he has to pass on and feel like your game is stagnating. The one or two guys I know who switched gyms at brown switched for that reason; they just felt like they had stopped getting better.

12. rocklos

rocklos White Belt

those other factors alone would make me switch schools. I'm not against switching especially if you feel the environment you are in is not ideal for your progression.

I was making reference to people who switch because they feel they should be at the next level but their skill set says other wise.

If you can honestly say I'm not getting any better because of the environment I'm in then its time for the switch.

13. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

So someone got a promotion faster because he brought in his martial arts school into the deal!
    What is the problem?

14. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

I don't understand?

15. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

from what I understood, someone got promoted faster because he had a big school.

He was bringing more revenues to the head instructor? maybe in terms of fame, seminars, grading etc...

It that correct?

16. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

7 year itch? Not just in marriages, I guess.

17. nohomark

nohomark White Belt

this is why i promoted myself to camo belt, to avoid all the politics and limitations of traditional bjj, my curriculum teaches lethal punches from under the mount and i'm certain any of pink belts could knock out Velasquez if he mounted them

18. Oleg Raktatov

Oleg Raktatov Blue Belt

Yeah, bjj politics vs belts really suck.

19 years of grappling here. 11 years of bjj. I have been a brown for four years.

Doesnt matter that much but could be ridiculous when you try to explain that to a new guy.

I would totally be for the original Gracie academy system :

White - light blue- dark blue

White belt could have the four stripes for student retention.

Light blue would be given around high blue or low purple of today

Dark blue would be equivalent of todays brown, and would be instructor level.

19. Sexy Pants

Sexy Pants Blue Belt

Please tell the back story to this? 4yr brown must have a story esp if you've had previous exp.

20. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

4 years as a brown? You still paying your monthly fee or just running your own business teaching grappling?