Secrets

Nice work mate.
The right mindset is very important in all aspects..

Keith great post. That is so true not only in lifting but also life in general.

Keith great post. That is so true not only in lifting but also life in general.

So true.

I love this quote:

Once you are willing to be uncomfortable at times in your workout, it does not take long for you to get used to it, in fact you may look forward to it and thrive on it. This is when you will embark on the journey to achieving the potential that lies within you.

I like it even better when you take out the 'in your workout' and replace it with 'in your life'.

I do a fair amount of volunteer work in our community and I cannot tell you how many times I have been driving to whatever place, just totally dreading it, wishing I did not have to go, wishing I could do something for myself or with my family, wondering why I ever volunteered, trying to think of some excuse/reason to turn away....but as SOON as I get there and get to work, those thoughts are gone and I have never once left the event/place and regretted it or felt that I had wasted my time.

Same is true for training and workouts in general ( and life ) the hard part is the mental dread leading up to it--the hard part is actually making the decision to do it and then show up--once you have made a determined decision to show up---the rest is easy ( relatively speaking) I cannot tell you how many times I have come home knowing that I have a workout scheduled. I am hot, tired, etc. I know the garage is going to be hot. I know I have to move about 9 bikes and a dog crate out of the way just to be able to set up my lifting plaform, I can think of a dozen reasons to NOT train...and somehow I end up in the garage and as SOON as I get started, the mental dread is over and I walk out 110 minutes later with the best feeling in the world.

the hard part is the mental dread leading up to it--the hard part is actually making the decision to do it and then show up

This statement can be applied to 99% of life in general.

I completely agree. its more rewarding to challenge myself than it is to just drag through the motions. this is one reason I enjoy making up new circuits and exercises. I get amped for the possibility of progress in new areas.

I do a fair amount of volunteer work in our community and I cannot tell you how many times I have been driving to whatever place, just totally dreading it, wishing I did not have to go, wishing I could do something for myself or with my family, wondering why I ever volunteered, trying to think of some excuse/reason to turn away....but as SOON as I get there and get to work, those thoughts are gone and I have never once left the event/place and regretted it or felt that I had wasted my time.

Same is true for training and workouts in general ( and life ) the hard part is the mental dread leading up to it--the hard part is actually making the decision to do it and then show up--once you have made a determined decision to show up---the rest is easy ( relatively speaking) I cannot tell you how many times I have come home knowing that I have a workout scheduled. I am hot, tired, etc. I know the garage is going to be hot. I know I have to move about 9 bikes and a dog crate out of the way just to be able to set up my lifting plaform, I can think of a dozen reasons to NOT train...and somehow I end up in the garage and as SOON as I get started, the mental dread is over and I walk out 110 minutes later with the best feeling in the world.

Yup i totally agree with you there.

that is counting putting out and putting back the bikes and dog crate! lol

Training is meditation.

We here in the west call it, "the zone".

But only in an equally trained mind.

To the first post, Tang Soo Do practitioners have a good motto for that: "Pain is joy." I need to get back to that and remember that in both workouts and life. I really need to work on my mental toughness in regards to 20 rep squats. Thanx for the posts, KW.

Thanks Keith. Excellent points well-written as always.

Back