• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Secret to hard punching

My husband has a hard punch according to the guys he has grappled with, and he says it is upper body mass combined with force. Hit the hard bag enough times and you will have a heavy hand.

it's power....
basically if u want to hit hard....punch faster.....don't concentrate on hitting harder cause ur technique will suffer and get sloppy

you keyboard warriors dont know shit
i bet none of you have even hit a heavy bag before
fistsize means nothing compared to the importance of pivoting the foot, torquing the hips, and the snap you have to put in your punches by pulling your arm back
there are no MMA who have perfected the punch, if they did, they would punch so much stronger.
a MMA with 4 oz gloves punches as hard as a boxer with 10 oz gloves
thats the difference you get when you have good technique

HapkidoBoxer said:
you keyboard warriors dont know shit
i bet none of you have even hit a heavy bag before
fistsize means nothing compared to the importance of pivoting the foot, torquing the hips, and the snap you have to put in your punches by pulling your arm back
there are no MMA who have perfected the punch, if they did, they would punch so much stronger.
a MMA with 4 oz gloves punches as hard as a boxer with 10 oz gloves
thats the difference you get when you have good technique
Pivoting the foot is mainly done when throwing a hook. Your back foot doesnt pivot a whole lot when you throw a cross or straight.

lol, 7 pages of posts on a fight board and not a single one of us have hit a heavybag? Fancy.

kungfulish said:
Pivoting the foot is mainly done when throwing a hook. Your back foot doesnt pivot a whole lot when you throw a cross or straight.

you better delete this post quick.

Captain Beyond said:
Fedor has the worst punching technique ever,...a very inaccurate pucher. Fedor can throw about 10 to 12 punches and 2 will actually land. I will always see Fedor as a submission/ground n pound fighter.

Some good hard punchers with pretty good technique:
HUNT
CROCOP
AA
Sylvia
Chuck
Sergei
Jerome Le Banner

Ultimately, no one in MMA has or will ever possess the KO power of TYSON.
are you dumb , fedor is soo fuckin accurate he lands most punches he throws

hungryj said:
are you dumb , fedor is soo fuckin accurate he lands most punches he throws
Apparently you never saw the Fedor CC fight. Maybe a 20% ratio of punches landed.

I have a sand bag in my basemant :icon_chee. Igor had extremely good technique, his punches were devastating.

Ha, i slept well, lol.

Man just get out, they have taken over from now on it will go downhill fast.

Do not forget to pack your 8th grader physics book though :icon_chee

But hey actually i agree on what the last guy said. Handweight does not mean shit in comparison to other parts of technique like the hip twisting in something like a half circle at the right time. lol

I really gotta wake up.

I will check p.m. later

I hit a bag whenever i come across one. I do a lot of punching a matress in my room though, but i cannot go full power due to neighbors, so that is worth shit.

HapkidoBoxer said:
you better delete this post quick.
Why delete it? Is that how you debate? Boxing they dont teach you to pivot your back foot when throwing a cross.

speed, technique and pure body power. your hips are everything when you throw a punch, as they are the key to success with most techniques. you have to be physically strong but overall your timing and the way your body moves within that is either there or isn't to be an excellent striker.

My younger brother has been in TKD for 11 years. He weighs 145 pounds and is just under 6 foot: lean. I swear on my soul, he punches 5 times harder than the vast majority of the fighters I've seen in the UFC under 200 pounds. Technique makes more difference than you could ever imagine.

Recoil_85 said:
David Tua has small hands, and is one of the hardest punchers in boxing history, so I don't think it matters much at all.

Also, Fedor does not have very big hands, and isn't a one punch KO artist at all.
When I lived in Vegas several years back, I trained David Tua w/ weights before his fight w/ Danell Nicholson. (At that point in his career, Tua definitely should've been spending more time in other training modalities, but that's another story.) I was SHOCKED the first time I shook hands w/ Tua. His hands are TINY for a heavyweight fighter.

I asked his then-manager Kevin Barry how Tua could be the HW division's most feared KO puncher while having such small hands. Barry told me that having small hands actually made Tua the big puncher he is, because the force his punches generate is applied to a more limited surface area. In other words, it's all about the PSI (pounds per square inch) of the force.

I guess that makes sense, in a sense. On the other hand, some feared punchers (usually clubbers, like Foreman) have huge hands, so this theory obviously doesn't apply universally.

Thought experiment: assume equal force is generated by the punches of two fighters. One has fists that have a contact area of, say, 8.0 square inches, and the other has fists that have a contact area of 11.0 square inches. I'd guess the guy w/ smaller fists would be relatively more effective on point-of-chin shots, which cause KOs via a lever action that spins the brain within its cranium. But the fighter w/ bigger fists might well have an advantage on side-of-head and temple shots, since these punches are going to cause a whole lot of gray matter to bounce off the opposite side of his opponent's skull.

This is only my opinion, of course. I could be wrong.

you wont be able to throw your hips into the punch very well without pivoting the foot
at my boxing gym, the trainer gets us to put our hands on our hips and we practice just throwing the hips.
technique, technique, technique.
i think floyd mayweather has the best technique when it comes to the straight right.
its a thing of beauty.
why could tyson punch so hard? because he was naturally freakishly strong plus the technique in his hooks were amazing. tysons straights? eh... nothing special.

kungfulish said:

wrong

when you throw a straight right you definitely push off the rear foot. that's where all the power comes from. at the same time your fist connects you should feel youself pushing off of your back foot

the way you can tell how much you should be pivoting is that you should be able to hit the same target with a straight right that you can with a jab

if you're not pivoting that far, then you definitely are missing out

Back