• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sean O'malley is one of the most talented fighters i have ever seen why do people hate him?

O'malley is a gifted striker but he is not physically strong, he has a limited grappling game and seems susceptible to pressure. I think he has a ceiling

O'malley is a gifted striker but he is not physically strong, he has a limited grappling game and seems susceptible to pressure. I think he has a ceiling

What evidence is there that he struggles with pressure in your opinion?

Do people really care about his personality? He kicks ass in the cage. Why does anyone give a shit?

He kicks ass against low grade fighters. The only guy he's fought with a pulse he got the brakes beat off of him, then he was full of excuses afterwards instead of taking the L like a man. Then he fights a guy who was working at Home Depot two days before the fight last weekend and struggled to even put the guy away. If he is your idea of one of the most talented you've ever seen...I assume you are brand new to watching the sport.

The guy does look comfortable in the cage but until he's able to showcase his skills against someone in the top 15 or hell top 50 then we can talk about his ceiling.

He strikes like he is a life long striker, just a breathe fresh air to watch him fight. He isnt just swinging like a wild cavemen like most MMA fighters. He is one of the fighters that actually keeps me interested in the sport of MMA. I think he is one of the most talented fighters in the UFC. He just gives me prime Jon Jones vibes. Why dont people like him?

BlushingMessyLadybird-size_restricted.gif
UnacceptablePerfumedHamster-size_restricted.gif

Dana White has found a gem and he will be a future champion

Do you mean why isn't he more popular or well-known, or are you saying people actually don't like him?

I was talking with a woman on my bar league volleyball team who doesn't follow MMA, and she had to look him up via photos on her phone, but he's the only fighter she knows and likes "because he doesn't look like a tough guy compared to his opponents, but he always beats them by being scrappy."

The only reason he lost to chito was ankle damage. He didn't get "smoked" you idiot.

Thats not the "only reason" he lost...lol... Chito outstruck him. At one point his superior striking took out his leg, it was rendered defective and then he got sent to the shadow realm. He got smoked. I can appreciate ones dedication to their guy, but at some point that delusional thinking is just pathetic.

What evidence is there that he struggles with pressure in your opinion?
He looked very uncomfortable when Moutinho was pressuring him. I think partially Sean may have been surprised that he couldn't put this guy away, partially because he may have been getting tired from such a high output. Moutinho was blessed with a granite chin but seems to be a pretty wild puncher. Sean happens to be one of the most accurate strikers I've seen.

Time will tell. I look forward to his next fight.

He looked very uncomfortable when Moutinho was pressuring him. I think partially Sean may have been surprised that he couldn't put this guy away, partially because he may have been getting tired from such a high output. Moutinho was blessed with a granite chin but seems to be a pretty wild puncher. Sean happens to be one of the most accurate strikers I've seen.

"Looked uncomfortable" while breaking sig strike records. Tbf though, not many mma fighters are comfortable on the backfoot. Relative to others hes not bad at all.

He's like an ugly version of that Tchechen-Dictator-loving ratlip from Sweden. Plus he's only beaten bums like that "swedish" guy. Also men wearing pink are quite gamma. And like snortingMcGregor he's dellusional as fuck (minus CunTard's money).

All in all a typical douchebag (based on what a douchebag is described in urbandictionary)

Bar the eccentric look, I don't get why people compare him to Conor. From what I've seen, he seems rather respectful (though i dont follow social media, so i might be way wrong).

As for his fighting prowess, i think he's really good, but as others have said, he's really unproven so he might have some huge flaws

"Looked uncomfortable" while breaking sig strike records. Tbf though, not many mma fighters are comfortable on the backfoot. Relative to others hes not bad at all.
Sean seemed like he was fading and the guy he was in there with was a bit of a punching bag. Sean didn't have a great reaction when he got rushed. TJ has an excellent pressure game, so do about 5 other guys in the top 10. I think he might have some work to do still.

I agree, he's an extremely talented striker and he's very fun to watch. He could become great, but he is untested against the top of the division. I don't know about his grappling credentials, but he's not exactly a grappler is he?

His body type/frame says otherwise. He isn't built like most BW, he is built more like FLWs. He can make FLW, other BW fighters can't. Those are true BWs.
He’s 5’7 and has 70 inch reach. That’s above average for a BW. He has a reach and height advantage even over Frankie Edgar. He’s more of a stocky than skinny type of guy as well. He’s fought 145 before, which means he’s most likely 150+ pounds in real life. The fact that he said he could make 125, doesn’t make him a natural FLW. It’s just that Suga is huge for his weight class. He’ll end up at 145 eventually

Thanks for the response.

I think you're right that he'll find pressure a challenge if it's a capable wrestler or grappler with some striking ability, but personally I didn't think he struggled too much with Moutinho's pressure.

His punches couldn't miss and he was very evasive even with that pressure, which is why I say that.

Assuming the UFC don't give him a fighter like Merab who would try to stifle him with relentless pressure of a different kind, then I'd absolutely lovely see him face Timur Valiev.

Now that kid has serious output!

Thanks for the response.

I think you're right that he'll find pressure a challenge if it's a capable wrestler or grappler with some striking ability, but personally I didn't think he struggled too much with Moutinho's pressure.

His punches couldn't miss and he was very evasive even with that pressure, which is why I say that.

Assuming the UFC don't give him a fighter like Merab who would try to stifle him with relentless pressure of a different kind, then I'd absolutely lovely see him face Timur Valiev.

Now that kid has serious output!
Great call with Merab, that is a great matchup. I also would like to see him avenge that Vera loss. Bantam is a great weight class and is loaded with killers from top to bottom.

What I've liked about him that I've seen is that he's got some good killer instincts, but when he hits a guy and he knows they are most likely done he stops and waits and doesn't do more damage to them. That's nice to see in this sport sometimes.

Kris was a human punching bag for most of the fight. Who is a natural flyweight. O'Malley is good but not as good as he or his fans think he is. If he is really levels ahead of the competition like he thinks he is, that fight would've been over in the 1st round. His fight with Chito shows how his fights will go vs a live ranked fighter. Kris wasn't a power puncher and had O'Malley running, just imagine what actual power punchers would be able to do in those exact situations and exchanges. The more durable and better strikers in the division will expose him that's why they chose a natural flyweight fighter not in the UFC as their fight instead of a UFC fighter or a ranked UFC fighter. That shows you their confidence level in his abilities vs actual high level fighters. He's in MVP mode right now, that's what's needed to make him look good because once he steps up in competition it will be a Chito result all over again.
Most of the time O'Malley is put against shorter opponents so he has that range advantage, works well for him as a striker. Kris was closer to his height but had no defense. I would like to see Suga Show against a ranked guy.

Back