Crime Seal Team Six Operators Charged with Murder of Green Beret

Orgasmo

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Two MARSOC marines were also charged with helping to cover up. Basically the Green Beret discovered the DEVGRU operators were stealing funds meant for informants in Mali and was about to report them. Those involved in the scheme decided to kill him before they got exposed. They strangled him in his sleep and cut his throat open to hide the mark, citing they were giving him first aid.

What do you think? Firing squad or life without parole?

The Navy has formally accused a member of SEAL Team 6 with choking a Green Beret to death last year, and then using his field medic skills to cut open the victim’s throat in an effort to fake a lifesaving technique and cover up the murder.

The gruesome details of the alleged murder of Army Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar, of the 3rd Special Forces Group, while serving in the West African nation of Mali in June 2017, were released yesterday by the Navy as part of charges against two members of SEAL Team 6 and two special forces Marines. The charges were first reported by the Daily Beast. The documents released by the military portray a premeditated assault that turned deadly, followed by a multistep, monthslong cover-up by the accused SEALs and Marines.

The charges say the four servicemen broke into Melgar’s room while he was sleeping and “bound him with duct-tape.” According to sources familiar with the investigation, DeDolph then strangled Melgar “with a chokehold,” while Matthews and at least one of the Marines restrained Melgar.
https://theintercept.com/2018/11/16/seal-team-6-green-beret-death/

Last edited:
I read this elsewhere but it didn't say what the motivation for the crime was.

Damn, harshest punishment possible. Accidentally performing a blue on blue is a disgrace on an extreme level from what I have heard, so purposefully murdering those on your side, good god.

I think their service should spare them of the death penalty, but LWOP would be fine by me.

Hard to imagine guys willing to murder strangers on command for a paycheck could be so bloodthirsty.

Is the victim Mexican? That surname is odd sounding.
This is one of the accused.
21574_eb.png

Death penalty seems appropriate.

I think their service should spare them of the death penalty, but LWOP would be fine by me.
The suicide rate of soldiers is insane and I can only imagine the suicide rate of special soldiers found quilty and put in prison would be even higher.
I suppose this is a death sentence in a sense. I have a close friend who is in special ops for the navy. He says there are so many suicides it has become as common as dying in combat.

Death penalty seems appropriate.

From the article :

All four of the accused are on active-duty and remain free, as the Navy has determined that they are not flight risks.

That's fucked up that they are not incarcerated and have not been drummed out in disgrace.

700 billion a year military budget and soldiers get paid worse than bellator fighters, it is surprising more aren't doing this kind of petty crime or getting caught more often.

They had better push for a jury of officers. We Enlisted would eat our own...

Because we knew better than to do dirt in the first place.

700 billion a year military budget and soldiers get paid worse than bellator fighters, it is surprising more aren't doing this kind of petty crime or getting caught more often.
Their pay isn't bad. With deployment pay on top of that, they can come close to 6 figures.

The base salary level is comparable to the average annual salary for teachers in the U.S., which was $55,350 for the 2009-2010 school year, according to the Digest of Education Statistics. However, all military personnel are eligible to receive higher pay -- closer to six figures -- with additional skills, which many of the members of the team that captured bin Laden likely had.
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/osama-bin-laden-navy-seal-team-raided-obamas/story?id=13517776

The suicide rate of soldiers is insane and I can only imagine the suicide rate of special soldiers found quilty and put in prison would be even higher.
I suppose this is a death sentence in a sense. I have a close friend who is in special ops for the navy. He says there are so many suicides it has become as common as dying in combat.

Sadly, it seems almost natural. You kinda have to be wired differently to do that job, and I'd imagine that level of controlled insanity catches up to a lot of them after a while.

Different MOS, hard to judge.

Frogmen of Peace

Spec ops on spec ops crime just sounds wrong.

These units are some of the closest knit fraternities in existence considering the type of ppl who join, the training they get, and the experiences they share.

Not to say they're above or immune from committing heinous acts but fragging in these units is an anomaly I'd think.

Crazy stuff...

Their pay isn't bad. With deployment pay on top of that, they can come close to 6 figures.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/osama-bin-laden-navy-seal-team-raided-obamas/story?id=13517776

Plus military gets decent benefits, GI Bill, and can get high paying PMC job after leave service.

Back