Scotch or Bourbon

?

• Total voters
I like to change it up but Bourbon overall is my fav (personal fav is Woodford Double Oaked). I'm trying to get into good Canadian whisky but there is a lot of shit out there. Finally starting to find some good stuff.

PXL_20210109_015645548.jpg

I like to change it up but Bourbon overall is my fav (personal fav is Woodford Double Oaked). I'm trying to get into good Canadian whisky but there is a lot of shit out there. Finally starting to find some good stuff.

There's been a lot of buyouts and mergers up here which hasn't been good for the quality of our whisky. I'd take an Evan Williams black label over almost any Canadian whisky under $50, which is sad because there used to be a decent amount of good stuff in the $30-50 range.

I mess around with single malts, but I'm not a huge fan of peat, right now I just bought 5 bottles of Woodford reserve on Xmas sale and I'm mostly drinking neat or in an old fashioned.

old-fashioned.jpg

tonight I may be on the Zacapa train
Ever had Afrohead? I was given a bottle and enjoy it, but since I'm not sure what it cost I'm not sure if it is worth it.

There's been a lot of buyouts and mergers up here which hasn't been good for the quality of our whisky. I'd take an Evan Williams black label over almost any Canadian whisky under $50, which is sad because there used to be a decent amount of good stuff in the $30-50 range.

The LCBO fucks things up for us too. People don't realize there ways to source good product that they do not carry. There are a few great distilleries up and coming. A lot of the more expensive Canadian whiskys I have tried have been pretty disappointing.

Lot 40 rye and CC 100%rye are pretty good at under 40 bucks per bottle. Wisers has some pretty interesting stuff coming out too. I am glad to see they are getting away from the 40% abv.

holy fuck we have the same join date?

The LCBO fucks things up for us too. People don't realize there ways to source good product that they do not carry. There are a few great distilleries up and coming. A lot of the more expensive Canadian whiskys I have tried have been pretty disappointing.

Lot 40 rye and CC 100%rye are pretty good at under 40 bucks per bottle. Wisers has some pretty interesting stuff coming out too. I am glad to see they are getting away from the 40% abv.

Lot 40 Rye and Gooderham & Worts Four Grain are about the only Canadian whiskys I still buy from time to time. CC 100% Rye and Crown Royal Northern Harvest were pretty good for about 1-2 years after their initial release but the quality of recent bottles has been rather lacking, especially the Crown. Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve has also shat the bed after the distillery was sold to some conglomerate, that one used to be one of my daily drinkers.

I would like to support our distillers more but man, they make it hard sometimes. Many of my favourites have been discontinued or gone downhill and while there are promising new players in the game, it's going to take a few more years for their barrels to age and also to get everything dialed in. We're kinda in an empty spot right now where we really gotta work to find and get our hands on the good stuff.

The only correct answer is: Single malt scotch... anyone who answers differently is a savage.

never even heard of it
They have a 7 year and a 15 year rum. My dad worked with some of the investors on some other project and he gifted me a bottle of the 15. Good stuff, but it looks like it can go for anywhere from $40ish which is worth it to $100ish which definitely isn't.

They have a 7 year and a 15 year rum. My dad worked with some of the investors on some other project and he gifted me a bottle of the 15. Good stuff, but it looks like it can go for anywhere from $40ish which is worth it to $100ish which definitely isn't.
I'll check it out next time I'm at the store for sure.

Tonight I'm on the Basil Hayden Dark Rye toot toot train
Just picked up a bottle of that this afternoon for the first time. Going to pour a glass here in a bit. Pretty excited to give it a try, at $40 it may become a go to if I like it.

Screenshot_20210110-160356_Gallery.jpg
Just picked up a bottle of that this afternoon for the first time. Going to pour a glass here in a bit. Pretty excited to give it a try, at $40 it may become a go to if I like it.
I'm on a barrel aged beer today

View attachment 825235
I'm on a barrel aged beer today
Nice, I had a few dark lagers while I was running errands. Blvd usually puts out solid stuff.

This Basil Hayden Dark Rye is nice! A but sweeter than I'm usually into, but super smooth. Lots of oak that comes across as coconut in combo with the rye, and a lot of Port. Easily worth the price. I can see myself keeping a bottle around.

Nice, I had a few dark lagers while I was running errands. Blvd usually puts out solid stuff.

This Basil Hayden Dark Rye is nice! A but sweeter than I'm usually into, but super smooth. Lots of oak that comes across as coconut in combo with the rye, and a lot of Port. Easily worth the price. I can see myself keeping a bottle around.
maybe put a bit of water in to dilute the sweetness, but it's soooo good

Back