Scoring the fight as a whole (PRIDE, DREAM etc) vs Round by Round (UFC, Bellator etc)

first round 10 minutes, last round 5 minutes.

If they had this, then round by round wouldn't be nearly as bad. 10 minute first rounds b/c 5 minutes is nothing for a grappler to work and guys just start getting comfortable with the fight at about 4 to 5 minutes in and then the buzzer rings and they basically start over.

I absolutely hate 3x5 rounds. hate it. hate. it.

Dana White and athletic commissions are you reading this thread? Everyone who understands MMA wants the R by R scoring to die. Just get it over with. While you're at it get rid of rounds.

I understand the reasoning for scoring rounds to avoid corruption and have more accountability for a decision but I like judging by the fight as a whole.

I think a better way of keeping rounds is making 10-8 and 10-7 used more often in order to give certain rounds more significance. I think it would help a lot with fights like Sonnen-Bisping where some rounds were way stronger than others. However, the problem with that is it makes it easier for ties. I think to fix that, you can just give the judge the option overriding the total round score with their choice on who won the fight entirely.

Matt Hume really gives a fantastic explanation as to why scoring round by round makes literally no sense in this sport when he was on sherdog last week. None at all. I've been saying it for years, and years now.

The fact it's been in place for this long is an embarrassment. A total embarrassment.

the fact that ufc hasn't lobbied for any major changes in 10 years is pathetic. I cannot fathom why they chose their current layout but its been proven at almost every event to break down and fail in some way, big or small.

I've written emails, and I get nothing back. If Vegas and California won't change it, no other governing body will. And they seem to just not give a flying f*ck, and the longer this crap goes on, the less likely they will be apt for change. We know scumbags hate change. Corruption.

Well the one thing I hate about round scoring is that someone can steal a round just for scoring a takedown with 5 seconds left when the takedown is practically useless. Also people going for last second submissions that have no chance.

Scoring as a whole is the best way IMO, Pride rules w/ elbows inside an octagon is my ideal MMA world. (prolly add a few things but this is just a quick post)

I think the bigger problem is incompetent judges. Cecil Peoples, a big name in the judging world, sets the standard by saying that leg kicks do not hurt. Are you kidding me? Refs who stand up fighters who are working from side control; side control is NOT a neutral position.

Yea, it seems like the sport still is young not because of the level of talent any more or even the orgs. It's the commissions that still haven't upped their game to make MMA a truly mainstream professional product. We still have dumbasses like Peoples judging fights no matter how bad his scoring is.

It will take possibly 10-20 years to fix something like this when we will start seeing more trainers/former fighters scoring fights instead of these ditsy judges from stupid disciplines.

Cecil-Peoples_referee.gif

I shouldn't need to say it again, I'm like a broken record around here about scoring.

Overall scoring is the ONLY way to score MMA fights. It also needs to be coupled with the right kind of methodology that aligns to the spirit of a FIGHT. The Pride style system was far and away more sensible and appropriate for MMA than the Unified System. I could write an essay on the reasons, but I won't bore you all.

Matt Hume was spot on with his interview a few days back

Terrible judges are certainly part of the problem, but the system itself still seriously flawed.

A judge can only do as well as the system allows them to.

Half points are the answer. Start scoring with 10-9.5 for extremely hard to call rounds, 10-9 for close rounds that have a clear winner, 10-8.5 for rounds with clear winners but not dominant, 10-8 for dominant rounds and you end up with most of the fights being score correctly. For instance, Page v. Machida would be R1: 10-9.5 R2: 10-9.5 R3: 8.5-10 for a Machida win 28.5-29.

Get rid of the scores, 2 guys enter 1 leaves.

Prides scoring was a lot better.

There is nothing wrong with the unified system. Winning the third round shouldn't win you the fight. I just do not understand this logic at all.

As far as "5 minutes isn't enough time for a grappler" What kind of garbage is that? Do you even train a grappling art or are you just parroting? That's some garbage time bullshit there. In a Judo match you literally have 5-10 seconds to get a sub.

Morons

As a whole is too vague, subject to recency principle, etc.

By round, better judges, reasoned use of 10-10's and 10-8's.

I like scoring the whole fight, but I think it tends to reward the fighter who is winning in the last few minutes, and can be very subjective.

There is nothing wrong with the unified system. Winning the third round shouldn't win you the fight. I just do not understand this logic at all.

As far as "5 minutes isn't enough time for a grappler" What kind of garbage is that? Do you even train a grappling art or are you just parroting? That's some garbage time bullshit there. In a Judo match you literally have 5-10 seconds to get a sub.

Morons

pro tip: this ain't fucking judo

I like having rounds. One 15 or one 25 minute round is not the answer in my opinion. I do not like th 10 point scoring system in MMA though.

Some have said it already but I think the answer is more options for the judges. At the moment basically anything from a tie to a very one sided round can be called 10-9. I'd like to see more 10-10s for where there is no clear winner. 10-9 for a close round etc all the way down to 10-5.

Last edited:

Morons

There is no benefit in using the 10 point must system. Like others repeatedly stated, the system stems from boxing where guys would be fighting for 10+ rounds. It is not the best system for MMA. It adds nothing, and just makes it more of a hassle then it has to be. Look at the fight in it's entirety and decide a winner. No reason a TD at the end of a round should steal you the fight. Judge it as a whole.

People says it's too vague, but apparently so is judging rounds because there is absolutely no type of consistency in the judging.

Which do you prefer, and why?

I prefer scoring the fight as a whole because if you barely edge someone in the first two rounds and get severely beaten up and damaged in the third, do you really deserve the nod?

Also, unlike boxing where it has 10+ rounds, MMA rounds are generally 3~5 rounds maximum. The 10 point boxing system does not seem applicable in MMA.

**I think the best solution is 1 round 15 mins for normal fights and 1 round 25 mins for championships personally. The winner if it goes to a decision is judged on the holistically (based on damage/efforts to finish fights etc) The boxing model in MMA is annoying because it does not work in my opinion.**

a fight is a fight no 3 or 5 fights

TD in the end of the rnd just to take the rnd are a cancer in the sport

fighting for 15 minutes straight is not something i want to see

:eek:

Back