Scientific journals on strength and power?

grrthetree

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm an HMP major, and for one of my classes I have to do journal summaries. Pretty much we find an accredited article and write an abstract. The problem I am finding with this, is that whenever I search for strength training, the experiment is done with submaximal loads and isolation/machines.

For example, I read an article about strength training and RFD in older men, and for their strength training they had them doing incline squat machines for 3 sets of 6 to 10 repetitions. In the abstract it said that after detraining, the RFD had gone down to almost the level when they were untrained. I'm sitting here thinking no shit, it was inefficient training.

Now I can report on one of these BS articles, all the while knowing the flaws, etc., but I would really like to report on something with substance that has real strength training involved.

Thanks.

I was pondering the same thing the other day, from what I can gather there seems to be a consensus that there aren't any real studies done on this type of training, all the evidence appears to be anecdotal

There are good studies, you just need to put more effort (like some) into your searching. Some of the best research into strength and power focuses on compiling empirical evidence, rather than doing anything original...and you get stuff like prilepin's table as a result. But you should be able to find plenty without too much difficulty:

For example, in just a couple minutes I found:

"ADJUSTING POWERLIFTING PERFORMANCES FOR
DIFFERENCES IN BODY MASS"

"Age-Related Declines in Anaerobic Muscular Performance: Weightlifting and Powerlifting"

"Specificity of practice: The case of powerlifting"

"Kinematic Analysis of the Powerlifting Style Squat and the Conventional Deadlift During Competition: Is There a Cross-Over Effect Between Lifts?"

"The role of FFM accumulation and skeletal muscle architecture in powerlifting performance."

Did you only try searching "strength training", or did you try searching "powerlifting", "olympic lifting", "weightlifting", and so on?

Did you have access to databases?
you can try search terms such as maximal effort or deep knee bends and such

Some articles on squats i found (these may not help, dunno what rfd is)

Acute testosterone and cortisol responses to high ... [Fiziol Cheloveka. 2010 Jul-Aug] - PubMed result
Squats + test
"High power resistance exercise protocols such as the one used in the present study produce acute increases of Tes. These results indicate that high power resistance exercise can contribute to an anabolic hormonal response with this type of training, and may partially explain the muscle hypertrophy observed in athletes who routinely employ high power resistance exercise."

There, PROOF SKWATS R GOOD! lol

Effect of rest interval length on repeated 1 repet... [J Strength Cond Res. 2003] - PubMed result

Monitoring different types of resistance training ... [Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2007] - PubMed result

Acute Effects of Elastic Bands during the Free-Wei... [J Strength Cond Res. 2010] - PubMed result
Band training and power

Kinetic analysis of concurrent activation potentia... [J Strength Cond Res. 2010] - PubMed result

Edit: RFD = rate of force developement.

Acute Effects of Elastic Bands during the Free-Wei... [J Strength Cond Res. 2010] - PubMed result This study supports louie simmons, " These results indicate that there may be benefits to performing squats with elastic bands in terms of RFD. Practitioners concerned with improving RFD may want to consider incorporating this easily implemented training variation."

Heres something about Older men and RFD:
The effect of strength training and short-term det... [Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010] - PubMed result

More on Band + Squats:
Effects of elastic bands on force and power charac... [J Strength Cond Res. 2006] - PubMed result

Weights, older men, cardio:
Strength training improves submaximum cardiovascul... [J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2009] - PubMed result

pm for full texts

Last edited:
I imagine a lot of the better articles are Russian.

There are good studies, you just need to put more effort (like some) into your searching. Some of the best research into strength and power focuses on compiling empirical evidence, rather than doing anything original...and you get stuff like prilepin's table as a result. But you should be able to find plenty without too much difficulty:

For example, in just a couple minutes I found:

"ADJUSTING POWERLIFTING PERFORMANCES FOR
DIFFERENCES IN BODY MASS"

"Age-Related Declines in Anaerobic Muscular Performance: Weightlifting and Powerlifting"

"Specificity of practice: The case of powerlifting"

"Kinematic Analysis of the Powerlifting Style Squat and the Conventional Deadlift During Competition: Is There a Cross-Over Effect Between Lifts?"

"The role of FFM accumulation and skeletal muscle architecture in powerlifting performance."

Did you only try searching "strength training", or did you try searching "powerlifting", "olympic lifting", "weightlifting", and so on?

well, I searched in my schools journal database with "strength training." I wanted to search on google but I'm not sure whether or not I would be able to certify that it was a real source or whatever. With journals from my schools DB, I know the teacher will accept it.

Thank you Zhang and Tosa, I will save those for other journals, too. I greatly appreciate it. Any idea on how I can google search for studies like the above knowing they are legit?

Thank you Zhang and Tosa, I will save those for other journals, too. I greatly appreciate it. Any idea on how I can google search for studies like the above knowing they are legit?

well, i dont know how on google, but pubmed is a great resource!
No problemo, it takes only 2 sec to search pubmed.

I didn't use google, I used my universities online library. You should be able to use any scholarly work, since as long as you give the names of the article, the authors, and the journal it was published in, it would be incredibly easy to check if it's a legitmate peer reviewed source.

Back