• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Scarface vs. Taxi Driver - Which is the better film?

Which is the better film?

• Total voters
I saw Scarface first and have watched it more times. I also have it on Blu-ray. I saw bits and pieces of Taxi Driver years ago and then watched it pretty recently. Scarface, while more entertaining, particularly to a younger man, is not artistically as rich as Taxi Driver. De Niro put in the best performance of his career in that film, and it's an incredible depiction of someone losing their mind. It also seems super relevant with what's going on these days despite being filmed damn near 50 years ago. Scarface has some subtleties that are interesting as well, such as Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio making an unannounced appearance earlier in the movie* than most people realize and being noticed and pointed out by Manny, but ignored by Tony, which is excellent and subtle foreshadowing. And Pacino gives a great performance and put a lot of preparation into his role as well. But overall, I have to say Taxi Driver is the superior film.

*Timestamped embed:

Come on now. Scarface is incredibly fun and entertaining, but it's not elite filmmaking by any stretch of the imagination.... whereas Taxi Driver could easily be considered the best movie ever made by a wide variety of film critics.

Voted for Scarface, purely because I liked it better and have rewatched it several times. Taxi Driver had a career defining performance by De Niro and was brilliantly written and directed. But I've only watched it once. It's a film I admire rather than enjoy.

Taxi driver

The original Incel fantasy movie.

Well, more of a wincel-movie in my opinion: Back then the fantasy was to enforce justice in a sick world by killing the pimp, something ultimately good, but now instead the pimp has become an existence to aspire to.
...I have often had this thought when Tate is brought up and lionized.

Who said Scarface was a character study?

It is a character study. There is no climax or resolution or change in the protagonist. Just Tony.

It is a junk movie revived by hip-hop. It isn't even in the same area code of Taxi Driver or being a 10.

Taxi Driver, while a good film, never did anything for me.

Scarface was fun, I don’t hold it in that high regard as many else do, but it still wins this matchup.

Taxi Driver is one of the greatest films ever, IMO. Scarface is good, but nowhere close to Taxi Driver.

Both are great movies with strong screenplays, scores and acting performances. It's a matter of personal preference and, ultimately, whose directing style you like most.

"derrr... scarface good! derr.. bang bang, cocaine! I can't be bothered to watch Taxi Driver, derr.. have to use brain... don't want to use brain!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back