Scales, they suck

J Storm**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
so i have 3 different scales i'm using

2 at home, one is a digital body fat % scale, the other is one of those old-school ones w/ a needle.

the third is at work and is a regular digital.

the body fat % scale say's i'm 2-3 lbs heavier than the other 2. i know "2 against 1" might sound logical, but you can't trust the old-school scales.

what's the best way to get an accurate weight??

should i go to bed bath and beyond and buy a brand new one?? shit costs upwards of 50 bucks! is there any guarantee it will be accurate??

2-3lbs makes a SHITLOAD of difference if i'm trying to make weight.

advice? :icon_neut

Calibrate it. Go to the scale you will be weighing in on for the tournament and weigh yourself there. Then go to you personal scale and weigh yourself there. The you can see if you need to make any adjustments. Otherwise there is nothing you can do. Different scales of varying accuracies are used by different competitions. You can just hope you get a scale that's reading low.

Calibrate it. Go to the scale you will be weighing in on for the tournament and weigh yourself there. Then go to you personal scale and weigh yourself there. The you can see if you need to make any adjustments. Otherwise there is nothing you can do. Different scales of varying accuracies are used by different competitions. You can just hope you get a scale that's reading low.

the tournament scale is unfortunately 40 mins away, and prob won't even be there until weigh-in

motivator135934.jpg

There are many things that contribute to the way the scale weighs you. It's not the scale itself.

1.) Is your scale on a super flat surface? If you have tile in your bathroom that's a problem. It's going to way you less because the pressure will be spread out.

2.) How are you positioning your feet? There are ways to manipulate the scale by a couple of pounds if they aren't positioned correctly. My feet are too big for my scale at home so it's always hard to measure properly.

When in doubt go with the heavier scale. I know that a local highschool that I wrestled against always had their scale set lighter when they had home meets and would set it back to normal the week of away meets and tournaments.

so just go by the heavier scale, if you are 2 pounds under when you go to the tournament so what? you aren't going for an ADCC title so if the weight is too difficult to cut don't cut it.

I've seen too many people trying to cut ungodly amounts of weight for tournaments and then get there and use it as an excuse. So if you feel the extra 2-3 pounds that the scale says you are over is disheartening just don't cut it.

There are many things that contribute to the way the scale weighs you. It's not the scale itself.

1.) Is your scale on a super flat surface? If you have tile in your bathroom that's a problem. It's going to way you less because the pressure will be spread out.

2.) How are you positioning your feet? There are ways to manipulate the scale by a couple of pounds if they aren't positioned correctly. My feet are too big for my scale at home so it's always hard to measure properly.

damn, i thought the bathroom tile in my office could be the problem but i weighted exactly the same on the hardwood.

When in doubt go with the heavier scale. I know that a local highschool that I wrestled against always had their scale set lighter when they had home meets and would set it back to normal the week of away meets and tournaments.

so just go by the heavier scale, if you are 2 pounds under when you go to the tournament so what? you aren't going for an ADCC title so if the weight is too difficult to cut don't cut it.

I've seen too many people trying to cut ungodly amounts of weight for tournaments and then get there and use it as an excuse. So if you feel the extra 2-3 pounds that the scale says you are over is disheartening just don't cut it.

I have to agree. I am going to fight in a weight class that is high for me. In the no gi comp I have to fight 8 pounds heavier then my wieght and I am still 6 pounds over the next lowest weight. If I cut those 6 pounds, I would still be 8 pounds below my gi weight class and 4 pounds above the next lowest. I am nursing a knee injury so I can't really run and cut weight over the long run like a should, which leaves sucking weight the old fashion way with plastic and heat. I can't do that because the format is weighing in just prior to the first match. So it was either feel like shit from sucking weight or just fight at the weight class that my body is at. I chose the latter because I would rather feel better and the more challenging the competiton the more it will do for my BJJ.

At the Euros There was 1 set of scales outside the fighting enclosure. I weighed 300grams under.

Inside the comp area, there were 2 sets of scales, I weighed in before my competitor got there and without the official. I was 100 grams under. and I was holding my gum shield and its box.

My opp arrived with the official, we both got on the scales simulateaneously. The ones that Id just stood on and said 100 grams under, now said 100 grams over!!!! and I was without my gumshield and box!!!

I was told I couldnt fight and would be disqualified for not making weight!!

I kicked up a fucking stink and jumped on the opponents scales and the read 75-9kg!
Senior official came and said it was ok to fight

Beat the french guy in 30 secs!!!

also, i asked this in another thread but got no response:

if i need to sweat a few lbs, and the weighin is at 11am, should i sweat it out the night before and go to sleep, or wake up early and sweat it out?

well i just bought a brand spanking new digital scale from Bed Bath and Beyond... AND IT FUCKING SAYS I'M 6 LBS OVER MY OFFICE SCALE, WTF IS GOING ON

i'm thinking about smashing my new scale to teach it a lesson about fucking w/ me.

beat the shit out of those scales and you'll cut the weight by doing it. everyone wins.

i fix scales for a living .. bathroom scales are generally garbage . most industrial scales are calibrated regularly . my customers are generally on either a mothly cal or every 3 months . Dont get on a super high cap scale since they use larger divisions and will generally round up to the next division. if a scale is very dirty or " tippy' it will possibly read incorrectly . We have standards we have to use wich are regulated by the state and the weights we use to calibrate are very very accurate so if you find a scale used to weigh skids , ( generally a 5000 lb cap ) you should be good . look for a calibration sticker on the indicator . try and find one with a recent date

i feel ya

according to one scale: 5 pounds underweight...no need to try to cut *munches on food* for Saturday

according to my friends scale: 1 pounds overweight...O_O did I eat 6 poudns of good?

goes back to that other scale: 5 puonds underweight....*whew*

i feel ya

according to one scale: 5 pounds underweight...no need to try to cut *munches on food* for Saturday

according to my friends scale: 1 pounds overweight...O_O did I eat 6 poudns of good?

goes back to that other scale: 5 puonds underweight....*whew*

that shit was driving me crazy. anyway, i think i have a good idea of where i stand... and won't be cutting the extra weight, featherweight here i come.

now that i have a better understanding of my bodyweight, i think i'll be able to cut easily to flyweight for NAGA next month, as weighins are the night before. for GQ i wont risk sweating the lbs out b/c i've never done it before and weighins are the day of.

open question: now that i'm about 4 lbs under weightclass, should i be eating a lot of carbs to get my energy level up? should i continue w/o carbs, w/o sodium, and just do veggies and chx (but larger quantities)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back