Say YES to guard pulling and all guard subs (for wrestlers)

I always go for the takedown, but I have no problem with people pulling guard. If that's where you feel your strongest, go ahead and pull guard. I'll work to pass and play the top game.

Great idea training your weak area.

Reality is that when you face a better wrestler or bigger guy, you are likely going to end up in guard. So you need to practice all situations for all opponents. It's clearly better to be the stronger wrestler and the bigger guy, since you get to choose your position, but that can't always be the case. So try for the best, but deal with the worst.

S.D.Force said:
Funny all of these threads are popping up by guard pullers, and BJJ purists.....

Well, i'm here to tell everybody that i have recently sworn to try and pull guard on every damn one of my opponents in practice. As a former State Championship qualifying wrestler, I am usually the attacker and guard passer. People always try to pull guard on me. And thus, i haven't developed a very good guard, or many good guard subs. My triangle isn't that good, my arm bars aren't either. And my sweeps are sub standard.

So now I will play the bottom game until i excel at it....Yes, you may pass my guard, but as soon as i regain composure and escape....I swear to pull guard once again and go for a triangle or butterfly sweep, etc......And now YOU will expend copious amounts of energy and be frustrated trying to pass my guard. And for those that i know will try and pull guard on me.....I will now do it FIRST!!!! You guard pullers will NOT beat me to the punch and you will be forced to play the top game while i practice on the bottom for once.

i pretty much did the same as you except that i would get the t.d. take the mount and then just pull my partner over on top of me so that i didnt lose my t.d. and positioning but then i worked guard so grats on the choice bro

In training, I'll pull guard if I want to work on sweeps and subs from there. Sometimes I'll go a day trying to start from full guard, a day trying for the takedown and working side mount, a day starting from butterfly guard, a day giving backmount or full mount to work escapes, etcetera. Some days I specifically only use throws and other days only takedowns. IMHO the key to good practice is variety!

Also breaking guard should not be arduous for the top man. Just as escaping mount should not throw you into spasms. In my experience, the problem with many wrestlers is that they can't pace themselves; they try to take wrestling intensity to every part of grappling. I wrestled in high school for a very little bit (over six years ago - golly I'm old) long before I took up BJJ eight months ago. Although I wasn't very good back then, I still learned to keep my thottle stuck on ludicrous speed. It took about six months before I learned when to go all out and when to hold back and be patient. Ergo some wrestlers who just started grappling remark that practices are really hard even when I felt they were kind of easy. (True story.)

In competition I never pull guard. BJJ is all about efficiency, and it takes ten times less energy to americana a guy than triangle choke them or armbar from guard for me. If I can, I stear the match toward me on top. However, BJJ is also about going through doors instead of ramming through walls. If I can use the guard easily against a particular opponent, I make it so! The philosphy taught to me for grappling is to do what your opponent gives you.

You should just have your training partner start in your gaurd because pulling gaurd is stupid. in MMA you get punched in the face in BJJ tornamnets you lose a chance to score points. just have your partner start in your gaurd and work from there = best way to train gaurd

Having a good guard game is one of my goals right now. I end up in half guard and guard in a lot of my randori at my judo club, as most of my peers are a weight class above me.
Train to use it when you need it, don't focus your game on it just to learn it. You will lose skill in your other positions and moves if you don't practice them too.

Larry Robberts said:
You should just have your training partner start in your gaurd because pulling gaurd is stupid. in MMA you get punched in the face in BJJ tornamnets you lose a chance to score points. just have your partner start in your gaurd and work from there = best way to train gaurd
I know that. The problem is that sometimes it is awkward to ask my partner to start in guard. It just feels too complicated and condensending sometimes... But trainng isn't always exactly like tourneys or MMA; it is oftne a time to practice new moves and situations. Of course I'll always save time for plain old sparring too. However, it is good to work on strategy as well as technique...

Soulfly said:
Having a good guard game is one of my goals right now. I end up in half guard and guard in a lot of my randori at my judo club, as most of my peers are a weight class above me.
Train to use it when you need it, don't focus your game on it just to learn it. You will lose skill in your other positions and moves if you don't practice them too.
This is great advice! At several places where I train, I am in a simular position. Using guard is a good way to learn to use technique over strength IMHO. However, I always try to make time for the wrestling club as well...

Larry Robberts said:

So, what is your strategy when you are being out-struck standing and can't take the guy down?

The problem goes the other way around too.
I've seen guys in competitions who are superb on their backs but who don't know jack shit what to do when they end up on top.
Work on your weak points.
I always start on my back since I'm big and slow and my bottom game needs constant practice to hold up against good opponents. On top I usually dominate and often sub most everyone I spar with 'cept the top 4-5 guys in my club.

Hey SD, you over at Fabios? Where you training at atm?

350 lbs fist said:
The problem goes the other way around too.
I've seen guys in competitions who are superb on their backs but who don't know jack shit what to do when they end up on top.
Work on your weak points.
I always start on my back since I'm big and slow and my bottom game needs constant practice to hold up against good opponents. On top I usually dominate and often sub most everyone I spar with 'cept the top 4-5 guys in my club.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I wish I had a good takedown to begin with, cause I find it hard to work my top game even in training, because I can't get there unless I ask them to start in their guard, or if I sweep them (the biggest way I get on top). If I sweep them, though, I don't usually worry about having to work the pass. My top game is getting better, but it's slow.
Larry Robberts said:
...in BJJ tornamnets you lose a chance to score points. just have your partner start in your gaurd and work from there = best way to train gaurd.
Yeah you lose the chance to score takedown points, but also if your takedowns suck, and your takedown defence sucks, pulling guard can be a great option. And if you work it right you can work the sweep directly from pulling guard. I posted a vid of my last tournament, I pulled guard, swept the guy and ended up nearly going directly to mount. Not often I see someone go directly to mount off a takedown.

a lot of silly posts ...

I think it is a great idea. I know some people who practice by letting someone start by taking their back with hooks in. Then they work from their. I dont ever see people yelling at him saying it is dumb becasue you wouldnt let someone have your back in a real fight ...

Back